Prime Minister to hold TV news conference at 5pm — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prime Minister to hold TV news conference at 5pm

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2020 in Coffee lounge
For those who aren't aware, Boris Johnson will be on TV at 5pm tonight to discuss the ongoing pandemic situation and potential further restrictions.

This BBC News article has further information for those interested.

Feel free to use this thread as a space to discuss any of your feelings or thoughts about it.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Tagged:

Comments

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

Thank you for letting people know about this.

I have been watching the news and an important point was raised about not only thinking about our own welfare but the welfare of others when we go out. A lot of people only think about the risk to themselves and whilst some people might have minor symptoms if they contract Covid 19, there could be a serious outcome for people with underlying health conditions. 

I always wear a mask when I go out to protect others and unfortunately I can’t say the same for a lot of people?

I am not surprised that a national lockdown is on the cards. As I have said many times before there are so many people who just ignore the rules and are selfish.

I have seen so many people not wearing face coverings in the local shops, not social distancing and basically not taking the pandemic seriously. I can’t say what happens in the large supermarkets as I haven’t been in a large supermarket for months but there is a serious problem in local independent shops where even the staff don’t always wear a face covering?. 

I have asked people why they don’t wear a face covering and I have been laughed at, ridiculed or ignored. Unfortunately there are people who just don’t care about others and potential consequences of what could happen if they contracted Covid 19?

I am sticking to online food shopping now as I refuse to go to the local shops anymore because most people refuse to wear masks and are putting me at risk. 

I was in the shielding group so I am extremely worried about contracting Covid 19 and I cannot rely on others to keep me safe because too many people just ignore the rules.
  • RAwarrior
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

I forgot to say great photo for ? ? 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @RAwarrior @Cher_Scope I was going to say the same thing haha nice hat.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @RAwarrior Ah thank you.  I thought I'd get in touch with my witchy side.

We will await the news conference but I appreciate your concerns.  We are in exceptionally challenging circumstances and each need to do what we feel is best to keep us safe and protected.  

I hope you manage okay with the online food shopping and it's good that you have your lovely woodland friends to distract you from time to time :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cher_Alumni
    66Mustang said:
    @RAwarrior @Cher_Scope I was going to say the same thing haha nice hat.
    It's just a little something I had in the wardrobe  :D

• RAwarrior
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

Thank you very much?

I have been doing most of my food shopping online for months and I have only gone to the local shops for a few items. 

However, on every occasion about eight out of ten people are not wearing face coverings. It hasn’t been a one off experience as each and every time I have gone to a local shop (several different ones) the majority of people have not worn a face covering. This has made me extremely anxious so I decided not to go to any of the local shops anymore as it’s not safe.

Thankfully I have been able to visit my squirrel families recently. I have visited the park squirrels and the forest squirrels. I have posted a few new photos if you haven’t seen them yet?

The Hazelnut Thief stole the netted bag with the hazelnuts and ran off with it so I couldn’t retrieve it. She then ended up fighting over the bag of hazelnuts with another squirrel?

The forest squirrel who gets picked on by the others now sits on my lap and lets me stroke her.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    seems it could be as late as 6-30 now, I don't think he's going to announce a lockdown, if that was the case he would be making a PM announcement not a press conference as he did on March 23rd.
    We will have to wait and see.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    @RAwarrior 'The hazelnut thief'  :D they are beautiful animals!!  

@woodbine Boris is definitely running late isn't he?  I'm trying to avoid all the speculation on social media so we will see what he says.

• RAwarrior
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

Thank you very much?

They are really sweet but naughty?

I have posted lots of photos of the Hazelnut Thief if you look on the earlier pages and you might have seen them already?

She is a squirrel who I have been feeding for quite a while who goes into the bag where I have the nuts as soon as my back is turned?

• RAwarrior
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

I have posted some more photos?
  • SylviaMorrison72
    SylviaMorrison72 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi guys do you think the lockdown affect me getting a cooker delivered? I am am desperate as been without 1 since middle September I still haven't had a proper response after trying to get it actually replaced! So I have had to get another company to deliver me 1 and install! Just so relieved to be getting it. I really don't know what I would do if if no delivery!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi guys do you think the lockdown affect me getting a cooker delivered? I am am desperate as been without 1 since middle September I still haven't had a proper response after trying to get it actually replaced! So I have had to get another company to deliver me 1 and install! Just so relieved to be getting it. I really don't know what I would do if if no delivery!

HI, If it's due to be delivered from Thursday then you should contact the delivery company and ask them, they will be able to tell you for sure.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    From what I heard Boris say deliveries will go ahead as usual, they did in the last lockdown we had almost daily deliveries from Amazon, as for the rest of what he said i can't decide lol

• gillian72
    gillian72 Community member Posts: 304 Pioneering
    I don't even have a mobile phone an the last one I had only cost me £10 till I dropped it in the loo lmao, I asked both my kids ( 20& 30yr old) I was shocked to hear there answers they both said no way are they having track an trace on there phones an both point blank said no way would they take any vaccine if they found one anyway they both believe the government wants to control them they must watch to much hunger games an divergent films or believe the ?? on there phones, unless boris tells them the truth about the virus they r not gonna stick to this lockdown this time I'm afraid to say they are not even listening to me an to be fair I can't blame them this time sadly to say ??
  • RAwarrior
    I am extremely worried about contracting the virus so those people who don’t take it seriously are the ones that are putting myself and others at risk?

If everyone followed the rules we might not be in this situation. As I said before too many people think it’s a joke which is not funny for people like me?

I wear a mask and social distance to protect myself and others, it’s a pity too many people don’t do the same for me?

• woodbine
    To be fair @RAwarrior I think most people do take it very seriously and have been doing as they have been told to do, it is now for those at high risk to stay home save lives protect the NHS.

• RAwarrior
    Hi @woodbine,

Unfortunately what you describe has not been my experience. 

I have seen so many people ignoring the rules regarding face coverings in shops, petrol stations and a well known chain of catalogue shop which I will not be returning to.  

I have also seen staff in those places either not wearing a face covering or wearing it under their nose or chin?

I had people pulling their t-shirt over their nose when I have asked them to keep their distance because they were not wearing a face covering. 

I have been to the hospital for my appointments and as soon as people have entered many of them put their mask under their nose or chin. I am expected to wait in a busy waiting room with people that have no regard for others.

I had to go into a walk in urgent care place a couple of months ago and 80% of the patients either had no face covering or had lowered it under their nose or chin. I went to the desk to complain and the nurse also had her mask under her chin. 

I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to ask people to keep their distance even when I go to the park because so many people just ignore the social distancing rules.

The problem is that people who are vulnerable can stay at home to protect themselves however, they can still be infected by family members who do go out and may not have any symptoms. This is why the people who do go out must follow the rules. It is not as simple as just expecting vulnerable people to stay at home because not everyone lives alone and some people will rely on other people to help them. We all have to take responsibility for our actions to protect ourselves and others. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    To be honest, some of those that are not wearing face coverings could be exempt from wearing them. Those working in shops do not have to wear them if they are behind a screen, for example, those at the checkouts. Only those that come in closer contact wiith customers should wear them, if a screen isn't possible.

I was in morrisons on Wednesday and at the self serve checkouts and a worker walked past without a mask but she did have something round her neck saying she was exempt.

You do not have to waer a face covering when outside in an open area, only when you're inside. Personally, i prefer not to wear one because the anxiety it causes me is dreadful.

At the end of the day, life still has to go on. Thousands of people die every year around this time because of flu. I'm not saying i don't think Covid exists because it does, i just think the media make it a whole lot worse than it really is. There's so much more testing now than there was back at the start of March, so obviously we will have most positive tests.

I will be continuing to see my elder daughter and grandson because they are the only ones i have outside contact with. I rely on my elder daughter to help me and without her, i'm lost.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Well yes, that would be my question...why would they do this?
    In my opinion the answer would be "they're not" 
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited November 2020
    Thank you everyone for your comments.  It's understandably a topic that's going to attract a diverse range of opinions based on personal interpretations of the data.  

I find it best to focus on that which we can control which is our own response to the lockdown and keeping ourselves well.

As ever the Scope team want to support you all through this so please let us know if you are struggling with anything over the next 4 weeks.  Our virtual community is here to empower and 'look after' each other and we can get through it together I'm sure  <3

Brightness