Hi, my name is Craig5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Craig5

Craig5
Craig5 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited November 2020 in Start here and say hello!
I am a psychology student and experienced NHS nursing assistant working in mental health, autism and learning disabilities

i am joining to keep up to date with current issues faced by people with disabilities.  I hope to further my understanding and knowledge so I can help those who I can . 

Seems very nice charity and hopefully be able to learn chat and speak to some nice people ! =) 

thank you 

Craig 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome Craig good to have you on board 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Craigtrotter5 - & welcome to the community, Craig. Thank you for joining in order to help others. Please do join in with any discussions of interest. :)
  • Craig5
    Thankyou for mind welcome ! :) 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Craigtrotter5 I'm glad you found us and I hope your time on the community will help you better identify the issues disabled people are facing.  I think this is more important then ever in the current social and political climate.  

We talk about general issues affecting those with impairments in our disabled people category so try to have a browse in there when you have time :)

I'd love to know more about your psychology course too!  How is it going?  Are you at college or uni?  I find the subject fascinating so hope you are enjoying it and the assessments aren't too stressful.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Craig5
    Thankyou Cher 

its going well Thankyou. ?

I chose to do clinical optional modules. one is called assessment, formulation and evidence based practise and the other is called complex issues.

In The prior module we are introduced to different mental  health conditions . We are told different assessment methods currently used by clinicians that can help  to diagnose different conditions  . 

At end of session We are asked to read an attatched case scenario and use the ‘5p’s’ formulation method to help figure what issues maybe present. We are then asked to choose correct assessment method for that person which will hopefully identify different issues suffered by that person 

The other clinical module is called ‘complex issues’ . we discuss/ research different topics in psychology every 3 weeks and then we are asked to create a artefact (leaflet/poster/ blog/ anything really) for the benefit of an appropriate audience .

Last topic in this module was ‘online data issues’ . I created an artefact that involved a ‘opening Facebook page’. I figured once you join Facebook you are automatically providing your consent to having your online data and behaviours being analysed and used by Facebook for different purposes. It was real eye opener and I did not realise what data I am proving to Facebook which can be used to manipulate me and others . They use the analytics maximise your usage time on their services and to be able to provide tailored advertisements or suggested videos from themselves or  their business partners (so external companies also analysing and using your online data through Facebook)

This is all able to happening possibly without your knowledge ( was without mine) as you automatically give consent to Facebook to do so by using their services . (without ticking any agreement boxes) . It’s therefore up to yourself to find on Facebook where to disable analytics from happening etc . 

I made a Facebook opening page for my artefact which provides simple to read information,  mini videos to watch and hyperlinks to click on. I done this so users are fully aware of what online data of there’s (or there freinds) is being analysed and used by or through Facebook for different purposes. I considered my background working in intellectual disabilities while doing this , so I created it in a ‘‘easy read format’ which could be better for wider general public to understand . 

The Current topic we are focusing on is diagnostic heterogeneity. 

***Diagnostic heterogeneity examines similarities that occur within the conceptualisation of mental health/developmental diagnoses. Many diagnoses have overlapping traits/symptoms, and are likely to co-occur. 

Diagnostic manuals tend to give very discrete categories, leading to people being diagnosed/misdiagnosed. I want you over the coming weeks to consider:

• Whether discrete diagnoses are meaningful
    • What does diagnostic heterogeneity mean
    • What is the alternative to discrete diagnosis?
    • What kind of factors might interact and lead to complexity?

-Diagnostic Heterogeneity is increasingly being called into question, with the efficacy of the DSM-IV being questioned. 

The aim of these sessions is to consider discrete diagnoses from an integrated perspective, and what the future of diagnosis might be. ***

So currently looking at importance of early and correct diagnosis for children who may have disabilities / autism. It’s Very important in considering and understanding the different types of mental health/behavioural issues that a child may be suffering from. They may have multiple conditions line autism and ADHD. It’s important to holistically detect these issues early as possible so that they can receive best treatment possible. One issue is that children need a diagnosis for  government funded extra educational support and DLA which can be im told , a very hard and long process. 

Thankyou for taking to me .

??

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Wow, that sounds really interesting @Craigtrotter5! I think it's great that you made your content accessible for all, too :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Craig5
    Thanks ?. 
    I’m going to really try to do everything I create in a ‘easy read’ format with visual videos/pictures to aid understanding .  
    It helps me better understanding things and more quickly . 
    Hopefully will help those with English as 2nd language to !  
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Craig5 I’m Emma, I’d be happy to help if you need anything. Best of luck with your course.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Craig5

Many of our members have experienced delays with obtaining an EHCP or successfully accessing the best education for their child with an EHCP.  You can read about these in our education discussion board.

Also your current module sounds right up my street.  I did a similar module in my undergrad and it provoked a lot of debate.  One point was that fitting children into discrete categories, although beneficial to them accessing support, means they are labelled 'problem children' by some educational practitioners which can affect the quality of their learning.  While, medicalising extremes of personality is also contentious as it risks pathologising certain behaviours that don't fit the idealised child (quiet, not fidgety, academic).  Oooh I've slipped right back into my uni head then  :D

Anyhow, it's great to see you around and have a lovely Tuesday :)

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Craig5
    Thankyou so much I I will look into that and the discussion boards ! 

Really appreciate it!

craig 

• Masuma12345678
    Masuma12345678 Posts: 50 Listener
    My name is Masuma
  • Craig5
    Hello nice masuma :) . How are you ? 

Brightness