Hi, my name is Patricia45! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Patricia45!

Patricia45
Patricia45 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am 45 and permanently disabled due to a surgery I had seven years ago. I love dancing and find myself shut out of a dance center as they don't want to have anything to do with me because they don't want disabled people there. I find this highly unfair. Has this happened to anyone else? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I am sorry to hear of your experience that must be upsetting for you 

I haven't come across this before maybe worth mentioning how this would be bad publicity to the centre 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Patricia45! I'm also really sorry to hear that this has happened to you. 

Have you ever heard of Para Dance UK? They have a 'find an instructor' page that might help you to find a more inclusive session to attend.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hello @Patricia45 and welcome to our online community!

Sorry you are going through this, I haven't heard of anything like it before.  

Has the dancing centre given you reasons for why you can't visit anymore?  All organisations have a responsibility under the Equality Act 2010 not to discriminate against disabled people and they should be able to make adjustments to allow you to still participate, wherever possible.  I hope you are okay.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Patricia45 - & welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to read about the very poor response you've had from the dance centre, which should hopefully welcome all. Exercise is important to everybody, & dancing seems a great way to incorporate this.
    Should you wish, you could contact the following organisation to see what they might advise, as you certainly shouldn't be excluded. Please see: https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/home
    Hope this may help. :)

Brightness