Learning Difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Learning Difficulties

Cindy7007
Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hi to all,
I'm looking for some advice please.
I am presently working with a grandfather (S) who has raised his grandson (E) from the age of 10 when Social Services removed him from his home with his mother.
(E) is 18 now and has been let down by every avenue his grandfather and late grandmother had tried to get help from.  (E) did not cope very well in mainstream school and was never offered suitable support which meant his behaviour had him being secluded from classes most of the time.

He is receiving help to address applying for benefits.  

(E) was born with NAS, addicted to Heroine, he suffered seizures and other withdrawal symptoms as a result he has suffered brain damage.  Amongst the many difficulties (E) struggles with, the main concern at the moment is (E)'s extremely poor memory and his grandfather's main concerns are about safety in the home.  (E) has flooded the home several times leaving bath taps running, leaves the outside doors unlocked and turns the oven on and forgets all about it. (E) has lost his grandmother and mother and now (S), who has to work, is very concerned as (E) has more alone time in the home.   
(E) has been assessed by clinical psychologists  on several occasions.  One point that we wish to address from his assessment is that it shows that he responds to visual stimulation.  

So going back to my first sentence, can anyone suggest where we can obtain suitable specific visual safety signage in  an attempt to stimulate his mind to react. 
(E) can communicate verbally using basis language with little problem but he does rely heavily on the reassurance he receives from his grandfather.
Any known resources or support networks available for both (S) and (E)  would be very much appreciated to know of.

I am sure I will be back again asking for more help,  

Many thanks
Cindy

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Cindy7007 - I've searched online, but have been unable to find any specific visual safety signage, other than that for school-age children, which doesn't relate to safety at home. Some thoughts..... perhaps contacting Makaton 'may' be helpful. Please see: https://makaton.org/   they do have some downloadable signs & symbols, but whether these would be appropriate, I don't know, as you need to create an account. It is also a resource for people with learning difficulties. There is a free 7 day trial, but after that there's unfortunately an annual subscription. However it might be a resource worth pursuing.
    Other than that it might be worthwhile contacting Mind: https://www.mind.org.uk/
    Clip art might also be used, e.g. a symbol for a tap with water running from it & a red cross overlayed, then taps with no water running from them & a green tick.
    The main problem seems to be that currently (E) isn't safe being left 'home alone' whilst his grandad works. I'm unsure there's an easy answer, but will ask a member of the Scope team for their advice. @Adrian_Scope or @Chloe_Scope please may you be able to advise here, thank you.
  • Cindy7007
    Thank you very much for the information above, I will try all of your suggestions, it does give me a starting point and hope of finding something suitable.

Many thanks
    Cindy
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

My daughter has a learning disability and i live with her. Although she can talk and read very well, she can't retain information because within about 20 seconds she's totally forgotten what she's done or said and what you've told her. For my daughter is has to be visually shown multiple times. I've also looked for signage to help her when i'm not at home, unfortunately, i've never succedssfully found anything that would be of any help to her.

Have they thought about a needs assessment for this person? Once this is done there maybe some help out the for when the grand father is at work, this way they won't be left alone for long periods of time. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

You can self refer for a needs assessment, although because of the pandemic i'm not sure how long they will have to wait, or whether home assessments are taking place. In my local council there is no home assessments at the moment and hasn't been since the first lockdown began.

Definitely worth referring them though.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cindy7007
    Hi,

So you know exactly the daily struggles learning difficulties can bring.
    We have already put in a request for a needs assessment, but expect this will be far into the future for now.

I'm looking into what support the grandfather can get to give him a break, he's totally stressed out, especially now his wife and daughter have both passed,  but I don't think he would be happy with respite care.  

Obviously, the present climate means we cannot progress in any direction.

I think for now it will be getting the crayons out and laminating, whatever works.

Thank you
    Cindy 

• poppy123456
    Yes, indeed i do and it's definitely not easy living with someone with learning disabilites. My daughter also has ASD and that in itself is a struggle.

The grandfather can also refer hiimself for a carers assessment. This will be done in the same way as a needs assessment but will be based on the grandfather instead.

Laminating is a very good idea and will hopefully help a little, for now at least.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cindy7007
    Thanks for that Poppy, I will see what we can sort out from this end.

Thanks and all the best
    Cindy
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Good luck :)

Brightness