. What’s one thing that bothers you most about the world today? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

. What’s one thing that bothers you most about the world today?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
My answer would be judgemental, rude people that haven't got any idea what it's like to live with an illness that you can't always visually 'see'. 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I am sorry to hear of your experiences with such people. I might be lucky in that I haven’t encountered the same thing too much, a little bit I suppose. Yes a lot of people are ignorant of many illnesses and what it’s like to live with them but in my experience they don’t do it maliciously, just innocently and ignorantly if that makes sense.

I will even admit to doing it myself. I don’t appreciate how bad some illnesses are until they are explained to me, and even then I probably never will appreciate them fully unless I have to one day live with them.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I suppose that like lots its the pandemic and lockdown

Not really for me but my niece is due to have her baby in next few weeks and will have to do this with little support as her husband will only be allowed with her for the birth. Also after she wont be able to introduce her new baby to all her family 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The thing that bothers me most if i'm honest is the fact that in the UK the worlds 5th richest country in 2020 too many children go to bed hungry, it's an utter disgrace for which there is no excuse.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    It's definitely this pandemic. The first lockdown we didn't know when it would end, this time we do.......if it keeps more people safe, & the awful death toll decreases, I can go with that, altho it will come with difficulties, as it will do for many. @janer1967 - if your niece brings her baby into a safer world, then that's what will matter for you all. :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    People.  Not individually but as a whole...the world was doing fine for millions of years until people came along and wrecked it in a few thousand, well really just the last few hundred!

Don't get me wrong, I'm no eco warrior myself, but I just don't see how we can get away from all the modern convenience we have now...we're all using too much plastic, wood, metal, oil, water, energy etc and creating waste and emissions that will take thousands of years to degrade and changing the face of the world forever.  Individually we're just minute specs of dust on this massive planet, yet collectively we've ruined it with no way out that I can see...  :(
  • Tammyjane33
    Thank you all for your replies. 
    It takes alot to get me angry, and alot for me to actually confront someone when they say something negative but just lately I have personally faced discrimination due to me wearing my laynard and apparently "I look fine", it can be very stressful.

• 66Mustang
    It takes alot to get me angry, and alot for me to actually confront someone when they say something negative but just lately I have personally faced discrimination due to me wearing my laynard and apparently "I look fine", it can be very stressful.

Wow that is quite disrespectful. The whole point of the lanyard is that you do indeed look fine but invisibly you aren’t fine!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that you had that experience @Tammyjane33. How are you feeling about it now? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tammyjane33
    @Tori_Scope I'm okay thank you for asking, you'd think in 2020 people would be more kind and understanding. ?
  • Tammyjane33
    @66Mustang thank you for your comment. I was just a little angry, I'm okay now. ?
  • ebeneee
    ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
    Hi Everyone, 
    The world has changed, there doesnt seem to be any love care and understanding anymore, its how the world is today i pray for changes.
  • 66Mustang
    @66Mustang thank you for your comment. I was just a little angry, I'm okay now. ?
    I can understand that but am glad you are OK now. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    66Mustang said:

Wow that is quite disrespectful. The whole point of the lanyard is that you do indeed look fine but invisibly you aren’t fine!
    Indeed, I have the green Lanyard, which I take out most of the time to wear, one day OI was in Sheffield Ctiy Centre on a Saturday when Wednesday were at Home to Millwall, the Tram was full of rowdy football fans so I was forced to remove myself from the Tram as I felt scared, this was compunded by the fact my phone died so I couldn't phone Home to get Dad to come and pick me up!

Because it was match day, the local Plod were out in force, as they have been ever since "that" event in April 1989, I went up to a local Officer, showed him my Lanyard to say I have a disability, I was stuck in Town, my carer hadn't seen me get off the Tram, he was about as much use as a Chocolate Teapot and that's being polite!

When I got back I wrote a strongly worded email o my lcal MP on the subject, and was told that the local Plod actually weren't aware of the green Lanyard as part of their training! And he's told them to add it! So my email did some good!

I should still never have been put in the situation to begin with though.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a shame that they weren't already aware of the lanyard scheme @MrAllen1976, but at least your email made a difference! That's really positive.

I had a look, and it does say on the Hidden Disabilities website that the scheme has been adopted by:
    a number of police, fire and ambulance services
    ... so not all, unfortunately. Hopefully more organisations and services will increasingly recognise the lanyard.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness