Assessment via phone for people with speech disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment via phone for people with speech disability

loulou27
loulou27 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
edited November 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I have a assessment tomo via phone for pip I’m told I cannot have this using text relay ,I have a voice but minimal not clear tires very easy and over use causes pain tightness that affect my swallowing which I also have dysphasia . I’m capable of talking for myself via relay so why am I being told they won’t . Was told have someone there to talk for you , yet also told they are not allowed to speak for me ? I’m so stressed come tomo I will have  no voice at all .I have already lost my life as I know it job socially now my independence to fight my own corner 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I would suggest you still have someone with you and explain at start of call to assessor your problem they may take this into account and allow someone to speak for you while you are present 

Good luck for tomorrow keep us updated 
  • yanni
    yanni Community member Posts: 91 Pioneering

I have every sympathy for you. I have severe-profound hearing loss and there is no way I can manage an hour long phone call. If the assessor has an accent or is softly spoken there is no way I am going to be able to understand them.

On my PIP review form I asked for the assessment to be done via text relay as a reasonable adjustment under the Equalities Act. I am still waiting to hear from them.

The only positive is that if you are claiming communication difficulties the assessment itself will be prove of those difficulties.

It may be worth trying to speak to the assesment provider today by text relay and making it clear that you are not going to be able to complete an assessment by phone and that you are asking for an assesesment by text relay as a reasonable adjustment under the Equalities Act 2010 and that to fail to do this is against the law. It might make them reconsider?

Good luck

• loulou27
    yanni said:

I have every sympathy for you. I have severe-profound hearing loss and there is no way I can manage an hour long phone call. If the assessor has an accent or is softly spoken there is no way I am going to be able to understand them.

On my PIP review form I asked for the assessment to be done via text relay as a reasonable adjustment under the Equalities Act. I am still waiting to hear from them.

The only positive is that if you are claiming communication difficulties the assessment itself will be prove of those difficulties.

It may be worth trying to speak to the assesment provider today by text relay and making it clear that you are not going to be able to complete an assessment by phone and that you are asking for an assesesment by text relay as a reasonable adjustment under the Equalities Act 2010 and that to fail to do this is against the law. It might make them reconsider?

Good luck

Yanni I have contacted them twice both times told it’s not possible , I already receive pip for this condition & others so there fully aware , face to face is easier though a struggle to hold a conversation that long it’s totally different than trying to speak on a phone even video is easier as they can see you struggling and allow for palsies in the conversation I never use a phone for calls .I feel embarrassed and ashamed of how I sound and just hate this whole disability thing where they want someone to talk for you , my partner could not possible put into words my daily struggles what it feels like for me Iv learnt to make adjustments even I don’t think of as it comes natural now the norm for me , I feel and sound such a winge bag I don’t mean too . Was only told recently that they have exhausted all possible help for me medically and because they tried new surgeries for my particular condition the time factor waiting to see if it would work the surgery which would of helped is now not possible to late , I’m as low as I can get and this blasted pip assessment just seemed to of tipped me over the edge feel so bloody useless 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @loulou27 :) I can imagine this is very stressful, especially as your assessment is tomorrow. I haven't been able to find an answer for you yet, so I've tagged your post as 'unanswered' so that more people will see it.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling really low, and that this has tipped you over the edge. Are you safe at the moment? Are you currently receiving any support for your mental health? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    I totally agree that it can only be a a good thing and they will clearly hear the struggles you have with communication and they shouldn't need to see you to know those struggles. Telephone assessments have been going extremely well and the amount of people that have been successfully awarded has increased.

I can only advise that you put the phone onto loud speaker and have you pertner with you during the assessment and the HCP should allow your partner to answer the questions that you struggle with. I can't see there being a problem with this.

Having been disabled myself for many years i can only agree with you that many people just learn to live with their disability, i know i do! My daily struggles became the norm many years ago. These assessments are a worry for everyone going through them and i'd be very surprised if someone told me that they are not stressed out by the whole procedure.

Try not to worry too much....easier said than done i know. Just do the best you can during the assessment and this is really all you can do.

Good luck!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hi @loulou27

We have asked one of our benefits advisors about your situation and I hope this message finds you in good time before the assessment.

They advised to:
    • Inform the assessors in writing of why you couldn't attend, then challenge using the PIP regulations afterwards.  Admittedly this advice may arrive too late now but if you were to ever experience this situation again.
    • Complain about the assessment provider being discriminatory in not providing a text relay option. 
    • Have a representative or someone else with you during the call.  Although in theory they can't speak on your behalf, it would be apparent why they were needed and you could give permission for the other person to help.
    I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • loulou27
    Firstly thank you for all your advice I wish had found you earlier , I got myself in a right old state woke with massive migraine vomiting all morning worrying about it , though I know I’m genuine I still get so stressed . I got through it the guy was understanding just hope because I did get through it they see that as I don’t have issues , I will pay severely for this conversation with my swallowing and discomfort which they won’t see. I will write though as I do feel it isn't on .
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that you weren't well @loulou27. At least it's over now, and it's good that the assessor was understanding. It's definitely not on at all, so very best of luck with your letter. Try and relax now, and wait to see what the outcome is.

Have you been able to do anything today to take your mind off of it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • loulou27
    @Tori_Scope thank you for your help , once it was over I settled down my migraine has subsided but they knock me silly for days , may I ask if you know. If people get help with bilateral vestibular weakness this is a new thing Iv added to my claim as my hearing balance is affected daily ,I tried to explain best I could but the guy I felt didn’t understand as he was asking questions that all meant the same thing about going out felt he was trying to catch me out or something I just told him how I am on the days I cannot go out alone , I was also asked what education I had what on earth does that have to do with a condition that started in my 40s. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Impossible to speculate anything at this point. If you live in the UK wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • loulou27
    @poppy123456 thank you , yes I understand that and I did try to explain the problems it causes and what we have adapted or use to help me 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.