Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions or building business run by disabled people? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions or building business run by disabled people?

kelly45
kelly45 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
I have just had to leave a job I love due to arthritis in my back which is a progressive and painful condition, and my work have said they can't offer me anything less physical, I am also unable to claim pip despite appealing with evidence too.
I've been looking at disabilities and working and as we understand the needs of one another, maybe we could build businesses run by disabled people.
It would be interesting to hear others thoughts and opinions about this idea?
And the pros and cons pleases 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it's an interesting idea @kelly45. Do you have any specific business ideas or interests?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I think given the current situation that trying to start a business would be harder than ever, even some well established businesses are struggling e.g M&S making its first half year loss in 94 years even Argos are closing the remaining High St stores and the multi billionaire boss of Amazon has dumped $3 billion worth of his shares. I have contacts still in the industry I worked in for years and their situation is worse than dire in all cases.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kelly45
    Dressmaking and disabled fashion would be a good business, as our clothes come from abroad I feel this would be beneficial.
    There is a need for mental health help, and the more experienced people have with this the more understanding and helpful they are.
    Autistic people have very specific interests in certain things and their knowledge in that interest has been studied at every angle possible.
    I believe even during this pandemic, there are businesses to be built and working among other fellow disabled people we all understand we can work to our ability, but even the smallest of contribution will help a business and individuals independence and mental health.
    What interests do you all have as this is a good place to start.
  • kelly45
    Woodbine, I understand what you are saying, these were previously very profitable businesses, but sadly they suffered due to not keeping up with future changes and relied on the reputation of their names keeping them going, they both have been suffering for many years.
    We don't have to look into multi million pound businesses, just small businesses is a start and will help the economy too.

Brightness