Do you like fireworks? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you like fireworks?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
Bonfire Night is a strong tradition in the UK, but not everyone is a fan. Of course celebrations might look a little different this year, but I'm sure that there'll still be plenty of fireworks going off tomorrow!
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Do you like fireworks? 9 votes

I love fireworks ?
66%
leeCalwoodbinejaner1967OverlyAnxious66Mustangchloeblue04 6 votes
I hate fireworks ?
11%
Cher_Alumni 1 vote
Meh, whatever
22%
Tori_ScopeRoss_Alumni 2 votes

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I love fireworks ?
    I don't normally like loud noises or bright lights...yet there's something about fireworks that I do like!

I think it's a sort of 'safe' sensory overload that blanks out all the other intrusive thoughts and anxieties for a few minutes, especially as it builds towards a proper crescendo at the end of an organised display.  I usually go to watch a free local display at a tiny village but of course that isn't going ahead this year.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I love fireworks ?
    I like them but our dog absolutely hates them and he trembles and pants all evening :(

Apparently some dogs have evolved to be scared of lightning and fireworks are a similar sound which is why dogs are scared of them.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I dont hate fireworks but organised displays only.
    I sign petitions every year to ban the use of them, other then in council approved displays.
    From September onwards we're treated to a barrage of bangers going off night after night pets suffer, as well as people, but at least people know what it is.
    Kids cant buy solvents, knives etc but have free reign to chuck explosives about. I hear Boris Johnson saying he doesn't want to spoil peoples enjoyment by banning the sale of them...but it's nothing to do with enjoyment, its kids terrorising people.  Imo

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Meh, whatever
    It looks as though people under 18 can't buy category 2 or 3 fireworks @Cress, but there are unfortunately always some people that misuse them. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    I love fireworks ?
    We purchased some calming pills for our dog today so it will be interesting to see how they work on him :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I love fireworks ?
    If the pills work for your dog I might be interested in them too @66Mustang ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    I love fireworks ?
    Haha :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Meh, whatever
    I like them when I'm there to enjoy them, but otherwise I'd rather they were silent when it's others letting them off :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I love fireworks ?
    @66Mustang @leeCal I read on face book about getting a ck and cutting the end off and putting it over your dogs head was supposed to stop them shaking due to fireworks.

No idea if it works as I dont have a dog to try it
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I love fireworks ?
    I don’t have a dog either @janer1967, though I’d like one. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    I love fireworks ?
    janer1967 said:
    @66Mustang @leeCal I read on face book about getting a ck and cutting the end off and putting it over your dogs head was supposed to stop them shaking due to fireworks.

No idea if it works as I dont have a dog to try it
    Hi, I believe you made a typo on the word in bold, I am just wondering what the word was supposed to say as I’d be interested to try the technique.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I love fireworks ?
    Sorry for that should say sock 
  • 66Mustang
    I love fireworks ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    I hate fireworks ?
    Oh dear, I appear to have outed myself as a firework hater  :D

To explain, I love the spectacle of fireworks and the colour and oooohing and aahhhhing (can you feel a but coming?) BUT I hate the effect they have on my cats and other animals.  My little cat Lavender has been hiding on top of the wardrobe every night for the past week because of all the noise.  Poor mite! 

So, you see I'm not really a spoilsport, just a concerned cat mom!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness