Clearing Debts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Clearing Debts

charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
I've recently looked at DRO option where you pay £91 to clear your debts if your struggling. I qualify for all the criteria. The only problem is i have a Argos account which is part of the debt im struggling to pay. If I apply for this DRO would I have to return the goods from the catalogue . I last ordered something on line a year ago but the debt is still there.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there I am not totally sure of the answer but I would imagine it would just be part of the debt it is unlikely they would want a product back that is a year old it would have no value to them it is the payment they would want

Please make sure you get expert advise before getting into any debt management scheme as lots out there are not as good as they seem, they control all your money for years and charge you a fee for doing so speak to step change they are a debt charity

When I had debts I rang the debtors and organised an affordable repayment plan myself with each of them  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlie79

Just to let you know I have moved your discussion to our finances and extra costs category.

I would echo the advice given above, hope you manage to get everything sorted.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • charlie79
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Firstly you wouldn't have to return the goods to Argos, secondly DRO's can be a great solution my mother in law did one about 12 years ago, there is only one downside and that is it would be at least 6 years before you would be able to borrow any money again from anybody, the DRO itself is something that takes upto 9 months to finalise, my MIL did it with the help of CAB but as @poppy123456 says step change will advise.
    If you do decide to go down the DRO road and any of the people you owe money to give you any hassle you just refer them to the official receiver.
    Good luck.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• charlie79
    To be honest I am panicking and stressing about debts. They are credit cards I am paying back but I due for an esa assessment and always worried my money may be cut and would have to appeal. I am completely housebound and depend on my 2 friends and services. Would I have to include PIP in income if I apply for DRO. I owe £2000 on one card £500 on another and £200 on one and £180 on my argos card
  • charlie79
    I'm making payments but its the interest on them that swallows me up
  • poppy123456
    Yes, PIP will be included in the DRO but then you need to add in your disability related expenses. Please have a read of the link i posted above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • charlie79
    WILL SDP be taken into account
  • poppy123456
    Yes because it's part of another benefit, it's not a benefit on it's own.
  • charlie79
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @charlie79 I must say that a DRO seems a bit drastic for less than £3000 of debt, you can clear upto £21000 of debt with a DRO as @poppy123456 has advised have a chat with step change there are other options.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    @woodbine i have to agree with you here.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.