Hi, my name is Cintique! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Cintique!

Cintique
Cintique Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello Everybody it is nice to meet you all

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Welcome to the community @Cintique! It's great to have you on board :)

Would you like to tell us a little bit about yourself? I can see you've already commented on another thread, which is great. Feel free to continue to have a look through our categories, and join in with any discussions that catch your eye. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome on board look forward to seeing you around 
  • gracious
    gracious Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, welcome to scope, I am also new to this, so all the best,
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Cintique - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community from me too. It's good you're finding your way around the forum straight away. How are you today? :)
  • Cintique
    Dear Tori Thank you for your Welcome! I thought it was about time I passed on my experience of being disabled with MS spine problems and now a wheelchair user after 40yrs of being disabled it has not got better just worse! I am 72yrs old in receipt of DLA for 40yrs have no care package in place always excuses! Now locked in my flat because I cannot get past the Front Door being a Fire Door it just keeps depositing me in the corridor. I have asked for reasonable adjustments to enable me to get out and in my new flat but after 2months I am just getting very angry! and I feel that I have to do something and direct my fury in a helpful way I hope Best Wishes Cintique  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You're always more than welcome to share your experiences, and have a vent if you need to @Cintique :) Have you had any response to your requests? Or is it just taking a while to get sorted? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cintique
    Hello I have been in touch with various bodies and because of the shortage of Occupational Therapists the KCC have told me that is the reason I am left without being able to open my front door or use keys to open it being a fire door although every other door in the building can be opened by a fob being wheelchair accessible
    I have been making a complete nuisance of myself contacting Councillors and even my MP I have been waiting nearly three months and of course not being able to evacuate in the case of fire is a bit scary! I am paying for my wheelchair through Motability as I get DLA but cannot use it and I cannot collect my one meal a day which I pay for but cannot collect.
    I have been waiting for a total of 12years for a care assessment which they make so many excuses although we should be entitled to one!
    All the time they get away with it they do until we die off
    On that cheerful note we get on with what we can do but I do feel that we need a more militant movement to get us anywhere
    Best Wishes Cintique  
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hello @Cintique and welcome to our community.  It's lovely to have you here.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and the obstacles you have persistently faced in getting support.  It's beyond unreasonable, in my opinion, for this to have been going on so long.  

Regards the fire door, I'd recommend speaking with Shelter England about your legal rights.  You can call them on their telephone number 0808 800 4444 and they can give you professional advise about the next steps to take.  Have you spoke to your private landlord about this?  If so, what did they say?

Also, it sounds like you have been extremely proactive regards the care assessment and I'd chase this up with KCC again and consider making a complaint.  Did you hear anything back from your MP?  

Please let us know how you get on and if we can help you in any way.  I have my fingers crossed for you.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness