90% effective Corona Virus vaccine — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

90% effective Corona Virus vaccine

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger

Pfizer has made a vaccine that has been found to be 90% effective in the final stages of testing

Has anyone else seen this?

:) 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes @66Mustang, great news. We have a deal already for 30million doses, that’s 15million people who can be given it...well need more but...great news!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I've seen it too and I think its a much needed bit of good news  :)  The wonders of science eh!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes it looks like good news and fingers crossed it is, on the down side doesn't look like anybody will get the vaccine till the new year and even then initially it will be for the over 80's and key workers, followed by vunerable groups and descending down the age groups, so it might well be into the new year before lots of people get it. Meanwhile between now and then the virus will continue to spread.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    It's good news, but, I think there are a few 'buts' in there; this isn't a final study, & it wasn't on a large study of people (just 94). Also other vaccines at a similar stage of testing may prove more effective &/safer. Certainly a step in the right direction, & a reason for some cautious optimism. I hadn't seen this, so thank you for sharing @66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    edited November 2020
    Definitely some “buts” but on the whole I think it is good news.

The stock market seems to think it is good news, at least, and they never base their decisions on impulse or hope :D:D:D 

In all seriousness though I’m inclined to take it as a good piece of news and I agree a wonder of science.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @66Mustang great news and lets hope we get a vaccine soon 

• Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Also, keep in mind that there are those of us who can't have vaccines because of the effect it can have on our health.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Definitely a step in the right direction, but still a long way to go.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    Definitely a step in the right direction, but still a long way to go.
    I don’t think anyone is under the illusion that this is the end of it. I just think it’s a nice bit of news. My view is that we should view it as damage mitigation, not a complete fix. Indeed it’s only 90% effective right now so even if everyone got a vaccine tomorrow there would still be 1/10 left. But, if someone said we can’t rid the world of COVID but we can reduce it to a fraction of what it is, I think that’s a good move forward.

I also think that if a portion of the population get an effective vaccine it will reduce the impact of the virus on the “herd” by a decent amount and there will be a more manageable amount of people left if that makes sense. I’m not a doctor so may be talking rubbish, just trying to be positive. :)

Francis_theythem said:
    Also, keep in mind that there are those of us who can't have vaccines because of the effect it can have on our health.
    Following on from above I think that if you can’t have a vaccine this is still good news for you as, if the majority are vaccinated, the health services will be less busy and be more ready to provide care to those who can’t take the vaccine, should they require it. (Not to mention that other unrelated care that has been paused may be able to resume.)

Brightness