new to this - any mattress recommendations? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new to this - any mattress recommendations?

rstocker48
rstocker48 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
hi everyone,i wonder if their is anyone who may no something about getting a new mattress for my bed,i've had this one for years,and it getting me down due to a lack of sleep.and night cramps.many thanks

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rstocker48 What kind of mattress do you think would help you?  Soft, firm, memory foam or spring? 

In the meantime, I've moved your post over to our disability aids and equipment board so people can see it and offer you some tips. 

I hope you get the bed of your dreams and a decent nights kip soon!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You can get some decent ones off amazon 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

A mattress is one thing that you really shouldn't take advice from others for. This is because everyone is so different and what may suit one person may not suit another. The best advice i can give you is to go and try some out for yourself. Of course if you live in England you'll need to wait until lockdown has lifted and they open back up again.

I had my last mattress for 14 years.... haha i know but it really was the best mattress i've ever had. My current mattress is lovely too but not quite as good as the previous one. I went to benson for beds to try them out for myself because mattress comfort ratings are very different, depending where you go. For me i prefer a medium firmness, some prefer hard, while others prefer soft. In the end i choose a sensafoam airstream memory form, it wasn't cheap but well worth the money paid. For me, a cheap mattress just isn't worth it.

One thing i would never ever do is buy a mattress online.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    To chip in with my personal experience, me and my partner bought a new mattress right before lockdown and went to Dreams where we had a sleepmatch test.  This involved us laying down on a bed where a computer measured how we laid, where our bodies made contact with the mattress and in what position we naturally slept.  After this it calculated the best mattress for us, which I have to admit has been a real dream. 

I'm sure this service will be available in other places, but that's maybe a place to consider.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The one we got last year has been the best ever, its 10" deep of that 8" is traditional sprung mattress topped off with 2" of memory foam, and its wasn't expensive something like £150 for a double. They do say that you should change your mattress every 8 years, but of course that's said by people trying to sell you one !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    @Cher_Scope they do this in benson for beds too. Great idea but i didn't use it. I know what i feel is right for me and i didn't trust it to make the right choice lol.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't go past my local supplier, whom we'd also bought furniture from previously. He delivered 3 mattresses for me to try out over the weekend; very hard to better that sort of service. So, a local supplier may be able to help (but might not be as good as mine).
    I would also advise trying before you buy, & yes, we're all different, so have our individual preferences.
  • Cintique
    Cintique Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I have had spine problems and MS for many years and the most helpful people I found was Bensons for Beds at Hove in Brighton I explained my problems and was shown the most suitable bed for me which was a Gel Bed I tried it out fell asleep and about 2 hours later I woke up and had to buy it although it was the most I had ever paid for a Bed it is wonderful so I thoroughly recommend them  
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    To chip in with my personal experience, me and my partner bought a new mattress right before lockdown and went to Dreams where we had a sleepmatch test.  This involved us laying down on a bed where a computer measured how we laid, where our bodies made contact with the mattress and in what position we naturally slept.  After this it calculated the best mattress for us, which I have to admit has been a real dream. 

I'm sure this service will be available in other places, but that's maybe a place to consider.
    Is that done in a private room or is it awkwardly done in the middle of the shop floor?  :#

When I finally find somewhere to move to, I'll need to chose a bed and mattress quickly so have been looking around online in advance...and didn't realise there was so much choice!  Last time I chose a mattress was 2007...had a choice of 3 at a local shop but didn't really notice any difference between them so just chose the middle one...think I'd prefer a computer to chose for me this time!  :D

What sort of price would be about 'average' for a decent double?  People are saying to avoid cheap mattresses but how cheap is cheap?
  • poppy123456
    @OverlyAnxious the sleepmatch test is not done in a different room, it's on the shop floor.

Regarding prices, it really depends on how much you want to spend. There's cheap and nasty ones, which in my opinion are really not worth the bother and would likely only last a year at the most, which can be anything from £100 up.

Or you have the best well made memory foam ones which go up from around £350 upwards. My mattress cost me £650 for a double. My daughter bought a single one during lockdown which cost £550.

For me, i'd never buy a cheap mattress, made that  mistake once, never again. You really should go and try a few out tho, if possible.

Brightness