Reading & Books — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reading & Books

csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 390 Pioneering
Who enjoys reading? What are your favourite Genres, Authours, do you prefer standard, large print or audiobooks? What are you currently reading?
I have just finished the audio version of The Cockoos Calling. I am now debating between: A Brief History of Severn Killings by Marlon James, or The Shining by Stephen King.  

I thought I would start this thread and see what response I get. 

Happy Reading!
CSno01

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @csno01 - great thread :)

I'm reading 'Disability and other human questions' by Dan Goodley at the minute.  This is a non-fiction book that explores Dan's thoughts about how society views disabled people.  Highly recommended too.

I've tended to read academic books for the last few years because I've been at uni but am trying to break free and return to more light-hearted material now :D So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.  

It sounds like you like crime/horror books.  Have you read other Stephen King books?  I've only ever seen his films!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • csno01
    Hi Cher,
    What you are reading sounds interesting. Academic Books I hear you say? It didnt take me long to break from them at all. 
    Like yourself Cher, I have only sean Stephen Kings films. I am yet to find the courage to listen to an audiobook, in the dark. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    I love reading have done since I was about 8 years old when they had a junior library, I will read almost anything and everything but has to be a book can't be doing with e readers and kindles. At the moment i'm reading a Harry Bowling book about east end families during WW1 he's a great story teller.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Jut started another book by Scott Marinari. One of the Ben hope books. That will be around 5 of his I have read.
    Normally I like to read fantasy, but I like the Marinari type thrillers, fast paced and also have something added along the lines of Dan brown. 
    I have read books since being a kid, such a long time ago now. ? Now I read on Amazon fire tablet, kindle books and now have a large electronic library. I still think there is nothing better than turning pages,  such are the times and if it gives younger people the inspiration to read than so much the better. 

• AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    Hi..... I have a couple of books on the go.  I like Science Fiction in the main and alternative history.  At the moment I am am reading one by an American author called Harry Turtledove and Richard DREYFUS called 'The Two Georges'.  It is set in a time where the American War of Independence never occured and they still form part of a British Empire. Also since University I have never kicked the habit of not reading Academic books and read one now and then.  The other book I am reading  at the moment is called "Sicily 43' by James HOLLAND.  It is about the Allied Invasion of Sicily in 1943...
  • csno01
    woodbine said:
    I love reading have done since I was about 8 years old when they had a junior library, I will read almost anything and everything but has to be a book can't be doing with e readers and kindles. At the moment i'm reading a Harry Bowling book about east end families during WW1 he's a great story teller.
    Hi Woodbine,
    Welcome to the Thread.

I recall the junior  library, although I was always interested in reading Fiction for older children / people. I never understood that I would not be able to gasp such literature at such a tender age. I have heard that both Kindles and other reading Technology medium / devices doesn't suit everyone.  The book you are reading sounds interesting.

Enjoy!
  • csno01
    Jut started another book by Scott Marinari. One of the Ben hope books. That will be around 5 of his I have read.
    Normally I like to read fantasy, but I like the Marinari type thrillers, fast paced and also have something added along the lines of Dan brown. 
    I have read books since being a kid, such a long time ago now. ? Now I read on Amazon fire tablet, kindle books and now have a large electronic library. I still think there is nothing better than turning pages,  such are the times and if it gives younger people the inspiration to read than so much the better. 

Hi Dragonslayer,

That is a new name for me. Is he a Detective writer? I have read a couple of Peter May and Lee Child books. Both of which are Detective Novels. If i was to recommend one, check out The Black House. I read that and got well into it. I have sean the films of Dan Brown novels, but have never read his books. They look heavy reading! I agree, you get a real feel for the book when you read it off paper don't you.
    With regards to your library on the Amazon Fire, do you buy the books outright, or are they borrowed? I registered with Audible for quite a while and have made some good selections. The best book out of my collection I would say is A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer.
  • csno01
    AndyGT said:
    Hi..... I have a couple of books on the go.  I like Science Fiction in the main and alternative history.  At the moment I am am reading one by an American author called Harry Turtledove and Richard DREYFUS called 'The Two Georges'.  It is set in a time where the American War of Independence never occured and they still form part of a British Empire. Also since University I have never kicked the habit of not reading Academic books and read one now and then.  The other book I am reading  at the moment is called "Sicily 43' by James HOLLAND.  It is about the Allied Invasion of Sicily in 1943...
    Hi AndyGT,

That is great!
    I am not sure if I could read more then one book at a time though. What did you study at university?
  • AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    I studied Law for my undergraduate degree and Politics and Democracy for my Masters Degree.   I went to university as a mature (I was 33 and only went when I came out of the police following an acvident on my way to an urgent assistance call which led to my disability).  Reading more than one book stops me from getting bored. 

Do you read the books or do you use a Kindle?  Personally I love the feeling of the book I  my hands.  It feels almost real.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    csno01 said:

Hi Dragonslayer,

That is a new name for me. Is he a Detective writer? I have read a couple of Peter May and Lee Child books. Both of which are Detective Novels. If i was to recommend one, check out The Black House. I read that and got well into it. I have sean the films of Dan Brown novels, but have never read his books. They look heavy reading! I agree, you get a real feel for the book when you read it off paper don't you.
    With regards to your library on the Amazon Fire, do you buy the books outright, or are they borrowed? I registered with Audible for quite a while and have made some good selections. The best book out of my collection I would say is A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer.

Hi @csn@csno01,
    Scott Marinari is a thriller writer with a twist. His books have the historical, mystery, fantasy edge to them, which is hard to describe, you just have to try them. 
    My library consist of books I buy, but also have a lot of free books as well. I am toying with the idea of trying audible, but not as yet. James Becker is author along the same lines. 

• csno01
    How is the Reading going? I have since got through two books and I’m now on my third. First one was a brief history of seven killings by Marlon James. It is set in Jamaica about Seven killings which took place around the Bob Marley Era, although I found it a bit heavy going for my liking so I swapped it for Slash autobiography. I don’t want to give any spoilers away, but, If there are any GNR fans in this for them I would highly recommend it. 
     I am now on my third book called Hitman Angus, by Swedish writer, Jonas Jonasson. It is quite funny in places. 

What is everybody else reading?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m re-reading How to see yourself as you really are, by the Dalai Lama . It’s a very interesting book which helps the reader to understand the concept of emptiness or no self. Fascinating. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Last author I read was Sarah Walters the  fingerpost, i don't own any books now, I do A lot of reading on line, I love history so the Tudor era, Victorians etc. I am writing a book but just need motivation at moment. I love book shops too browsing 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I am reading a true story called psychopath  about a woman who suffered years of mental and controlling abuse  her husband was  a bigamist  and was impregnating  multiple amounts of women 

Its a free book on kindle  very good story line 
  • csno01
    Hi everyone,
    How’s the reading going? Since my last post, I have downloaded quite a couple of audiobooks. These include:
    The magic cottage by James Patterson
    The chalk man by CJ Tudor

I have also discovered Podcasts. These include:

The Battersea poltergeist
    Adam Buxton podcast
    The flat share Beth O’Leary
    I am currently streaming and have nearly finished Gangster. The real life story of Paul Massey. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Currently reading And It Was Beautiful by Phil Hay, a must-read for any Leeds United fans
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • csno01

Just finished this. Not as great a book as it thinks it is but a rollicking read nevertheless.. 
    sounds interesting. Mike :-) 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm reading the 4th and final Jack Hunt's EMP book series, it's basically about N.Korean A bombs knocking all the power out in the USA and the break down of society that follows, would really recommend.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    edited August 2021
    For September I was thinking of reading Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. What do you think? 
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Where did you find that novel? 

Brightness