Things you wish you liked — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Things you wish you liked

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
I thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion...

Is there anything that you don’t like that you wish you did like? This can be a food or an activity or a personal quality - anything.

I don’t like porridge because of the texture but I love the taste. I wish I could stomach the texture.

Same for rice pudding.

I also don’t like conflict but part of me wishes I did as you can learn a lot from a good debate.

Finally I don’t like crowds or speaking in front of people but I wish I did.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont like dried fruit of any variety or Turkey, so no mince pies, Christmas pudding or Christmas cake and no turkey so Christmas traditional food is not for me apart from  the sprouts lol

I dont like chatting to shop assistants or them following me around the shop trying to get a sale

I dont like people that swear every other word 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang said ‘...Finally I don’t like crowds or speaking in front of people but I wish I did. ‘
    I seem to remember that fear of public speaking came out higher in a poll than fear of death!  I’ve always had a problem with shyness but after sixty odd years it has worn off. The key to being comfortable with public speaking is of course confidence. Confidence can be gained by knowing your subject matter really well or being skilled at what you are doing publicly,  that way you lessen the fear of being caught out or embarrassed. It has worked for me in the past. I’ve also found performing in front of a large crowd easier than in front of a small one, but that was some years ago.

I wish I liked reading more than I do.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    @janer1967 I am with you on Christmas pudding actually! I wish I liked it but I don’t. I always have a mouthful every Christmas, though. I’m not sure why but it has become a bit of a tradition.

@leeCal what you say all makes a lot of sense, I appreciate the advice, thanks. However the one thing I don’t understand is speaking in front of a large crowd being easier... I have heard people say that before but I would have thought the more people, the harder it is!

Good answer with reading, I wish I loved reading non fiction more than I do then I’d be intelligent :D
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    This is definitely and interesting topic. There has been some great replies so far. Particularly the Sprouts. I don't like them but I will eat them. 

66Mustang said:
    Finally I don’t like crowds or speaking in front of people but I wish I did.
    I agree on this one, it is difficult. I wish it was easier.

leeCal said:
    @66Mustang said ‘...Finally I don’t like crowds or speaking in front of people but I wish I did. ‘
    I seem to remember that fear of public speaking came out higher in a poll than fear of death!  I’ve always had a problem with shyness but after sixty odd years it has worn off. The key to being comfortable with public speaking is of course confidence. Confidence can be gained by knowing your subject matter really well or being skilled at what you are doing publicly,  that way you lessen the fear of being caught out or embarrassed. It has worked for me in the past. I’ve also found performing in front of a large crowd easier than in front of a small one, but that was some years ago.

May I ask, how did you manage to achieve this@leeCal?
    This is something I have struggled with very much. Particularly, forming relationships with people. To this day, I am still looking for ways to overcome it. 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I totally get that fear of public speaking.  I think it takes practice and lots of exposure so it doesn't become such a big thing.  To quote the famous line - "feel the fear and do it anyway".

On a different note, I wish I liked real ale and gin.  I hear people rant and rave about them but :s  No thanks.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    @Cher_Scope I’m the same with smoky or peaty whiskey - it just tastes like burnt alcohol to me so my whisky choice is quite limited. It’s a shame as there is apparently a great world of flavours to explore but to me they all taste the same!
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @csno01 I agree with @Cher_Scope, plenty of practise. On a personal level I always used to ensure that I was presentable and tidy and then remind myself that I was as good as anyone else. Again, how I knew this was the case was through exposure to others. Over time you get to know ‘who you are’ your strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes and you become kind of individuated. With that your confidence levels rise and with every successful interaction you build your confidence more and more. It takes time and practise and the inner strength to know that you can do it. 

I had selective mutism with peers when I was young and it took me many years to overcome my shyness. It can be done believe me. One night I’ll always remember was singing stairway to heaven in front of two hundred people, I was about twenty four and it went well. It’s a question of persistence. What one person can do another can do. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    @66Mustang Yep, I'm not a fan of whisky either.  It's too hot for me!  

@leeCal Blimey, 200 people?  You have some guts.  It's true what you say too, sometimes the only barrier to us doing something is our mindset about it.  It's about pushing past the fear and being vulnerable/uncomfortable in the moment, but then realising, actually I can do this!  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I've spoke in public many times from being a best man at a wedding with 150 guests to business conferences of over 200 people, the key is definitely confidence, and preparation one of my old bosses used to say if you fail to prepare then you prepare to fail !
    As to things I wished I like now I suppose Keir Starmer would be top of my list.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I wish I liked board and card games. I really don't enjoy the vast majority of them at all, but they seem to be a go-to at chilled social events as 'something everyone enjoys!' :( 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
  • Cher_Alumni
    I get very competitive with board games and such.  I may have even once purposefully toppled over a Jenga set when I suspected my other half of cheating  :D

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You're exactly the kind of person I hate to play games with @Cher_Scope ;) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Crowds...  I wish I could go to music festivals, comedy shows, car shows etc and actually enjoy dealing with people and possibly even interact with them.  I have been to a few small, local versions but just spend the whole time getting wound up by people not following rules, getting in the way, messing around etc...and it casts a shadow over the whole event.
  • 66Mustang
    Crowds...  I wish I could go to music festivals, comedy shows, car shows etc and actually enjoy dealing with people and possibly even interact with them.  I have been to a few small, local versions but just spend the whole time getting wound up by people not following rules, getting in the way, messing around etc...and it casts a shadow over the whole event.
    I bet people ignoring the one way systems they had in supermarkets during the first lockdown annoyed you. It annoyed me but in true British fashion I just stayed quiet and let them get on with it :D

Speaking of people getting in the way, have you ever noticed that when you know what you want in a supermarket and just want to get to a certain aisle/product, other people always seem to be in the way :D and they amble about so slowly, it's almost as if they are at the supermarket for leisure.
  • Butler356
    Butler356 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    I love red wine, however, my legs show me up as I'm only able to drink one glass these days, due to my condition. I would love to have some cheese with it but don't like it, I do like nuts and crisps so make up for it that way!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    I bet people ignoring the one way systems they had in supermarkets during the first lockdown annoyed you. It annoyed me but in true British fashion I just stayed quiet and let them get on with it :D

Speaking of people getting in the way, have you ever noticed that when you know what you want in a supermarket and just want to get to a certain aisle/product, other people always seem to be in the way :D and they amble about so slowly, it's almost as if they are at the supermarket for leisure.
    Lol, what annoyed me more was patiently waiting 2m from the person in front while they picked something up and moved on...then going for something myself and immediately finding 2 other people bending around me to pick something from the same shelf!  >:)  I did occasionally get mad enough to sigh or tut...  :D

It happens on roundabouts all the time too...I wait for a decent gap so as not to get in anyones way, yet as soon as I pull out so does another car on my left, forcing me to slow down or stop!  I don't know why 'give way to the right' is such a difficult concept to understand...  :#

Not just supermarket aisles either...people taking up the entire pavement and walking slowly winds me up no end!  I stick to one side so that any faster moving pedestrians can pass easily.

I guess I can add another to this thread...I wish I liked causing a nuisance as much as other people seem to!  :p
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    I totally get that fear of public speaking.  I think it takes practice and lots of exposure so it doesn't become such a big thing.  To quote the famous line - "feel the fear and do it anyway".

On a different note, I wish I liked real ale and gin.  I hear people rant and rave about them but :s  No thanks.  
    What you say makes perfect sense to me Cher. Thank you for the heads-up. I will bear it in mind and give it a go.
    I take it you are not a fan of cocktails then? With regards to whiskey,  I enjoy Jack Daniels and most recently, Woodford Reserve. I enjoy Cocktails too. Selective that is.leeCal said:
    @csno01 I agree with @Cher_Scope, plenty of practise. On a personal level I always used to ensure that I was presentable and tidy and then remind myself that I was as good as anyone else. Again, how I knew this was the case was through exposure to others. Over time you get to know ‘who you are’ your strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes and you become kind of individuated. With that your confidence levels rise and with every successful interaction you build your confidence more and more. It takes time and practise and the inner strength to know that you can do it. 

I had selective mutism with peers when I was young and it took me many years to overcome my shyness. It can be done believe me. One night I’ll always remember was singing stairway to heaven in front of two hundred people, I was about twenty four and it went well. It’s a question of persistence. What one person can do another can do. 
    Hi @LeeC@leeCal

Thank you for the pointers.

Tori_Scope said:
    I wish I liked board and card games. I really don't enjoy the vast majority of them at all, but they seem to be a go-to at chilled social events as 'something everyone enjoys!' :( 
    Hi Tori, I had a handful of both board and card games that I enjoyed as a child. Monopoly was definitely at the top of my list. I didn't;t win all of the time though 66Mustang said:

Hi @Overly@OverlyAnxious
    I totally get what you are saying when it comes to supermarkets. I am definatly not a fan of them at the moment, hence the current situation we are all in. That having said, who is?
  • Cher_Alumni
    @csno01 I do like cocktails but not those with whisky in.  Although after a few, I probably would enjoy them :D 

I've thought of something else I wish I liked that is especially so in the next month....

Michael Buble.

• 66Mustang
    @csno01

I see you like a bourbon :) Have you tried Gentleman Jack? Also, have you tried a cocktail called an Old Fashioned?

Brightness