Hi, my name is carol124! Would working affect my New Style ESA and PIP entitlement? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is carol124! Would working affect my New Style ESA and PIP entitlement?

Options
carol124
carol124 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I’m on New Style Esa and lower rate daily living pip. I would love to try and work for a few hours each week, I have been previously self employed how would this work under permitted work and can you do this indefinitely. I am too frightened to apply for permitted work in case it upsets my benefits, thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @carol124 :)

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the What benefits am I entitled to? category. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there @carol124
    @poppy123456 is the expert here and I’m sure she will give you some advice when she sees this post .

i asked this same question not so long ago . I can’t advise on esa from what I read you can work I think up to 16 hours on esa but don’t quote me on that as I know nothing on esa .

regarding pip you can work as long as it doesn’t go against what you told them so example I was given if you said you couldn’t walk far in your assessment and your on your feet all day 5 days a week that can go against what you said . 

I was offered a little cleaning job a few hours here and there I was advised that be ok as I didn’t tell pip I couldn’t clean or couldn’t walk around as my pip is to do with my mental health . 

I did try and work but it wasn’t some thing I was able to do as my disability prevented me from being able to do a job even casual work .

but as long as you can work on esa as you can on pip and doesn’t go against the descriptors for pip then go for it what sort of work was you thinking of you doing . I wish you luck with it . 
  • carol124
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Thanks @cupcake88 for the tag.

When claiming ESA you can do permitted work but you must work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £140 per week after deductions.

You don't apply for permitted work. You need to tell DWP/ESA that you are working and you need to fill out the PW1 form.

As @cupcake88 has correctly advised, providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming both then there shouldn't be any problems. Although do be aware that if the work you do does contradict the reasons why you're claim both, they can reassess you early and the decision could go against you once it's made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carol124
    Options
    Thank you, yes I did read up on permitted work it’s a hard decision to make whether to try to as I could do a few hours some days but not on others I never know one day to the next how I’m going to be. I don’t know what kind of job I could do the way I am!
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Well good luck and take care carol .

@poppy123456 you mentioned just could re assess you do you mean in general or do you mean getting a job could trigger it ? But I worked for 45 minutes before deciding I couldn’t do it could that mean I could get a early reassessment from that or do you mean in general x 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cupcake88 having worked 45 minutes will not trigger anything as you have been advised before stop worrying about your PIP and concentrate on you and getting better 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @cupcake88 you were already given advice regarding this on your other thread. I know you're very anxious but you really need to stop worrying and forget about it. You've been awarded PIP so please try to relax until nearer the time when your review is due.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Thank you @poppy123456  you know I’m a worrier xx
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Than K you @janer1967 you know I worry and over think xx 
    I’ll try and relax xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.