Do you think Political Correctness has a place in Society? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think Political Correctness has a place in Society?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
Topic.

Personally I don't, too many leftie lovey Guardian readers who think everything's potentially offensive, like you can't fly the Union Jack because the left think Foreign people will be offended, falsehood! Most of the Foreigners over here don't care.

Also, a couple of months back the BBC were forced to remove an old episode of Fawlty Towers from streaming service Britbox because it was allegedly offensive to Germans, eh? Even John Cleese himself thought it was PC gone mad and got the episode reinstated! 

Do you agree?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Someone once said that making opinions illegal just drives them underground. Stifling free speech is in my opinion a mistake. However I think there’s a place for politeness and tact but it should be natural not enforced. Unfortunately some people are neither polite nor tactful and that’s where education can help in such matters. Teaching people when young these skills should eventually lead to a fairer society I would hope.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At 61 almost 62 I think i'm getting too old to worry about being PC, I always try to be polite and I would never intentionally cause offense, although I apparently managed to do so on here last week.
    I could give many examples but one comes to mind we moved to where we now live 9 years ago, where we now live has very few people of colour the main exceptions appear to be GP's and the names some of the locals refer to them as would make your hair curl, its the sort of language I last heard in the 1970's. But theres nothing I can do about it, is that the cowards way out? I genuinely don't know.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I feel as a nation we fall over backwards trying to be PC, but this can backfire when the media or books from the past are looked at, & an apparent lack of PC is perceived. We used to have a secondhand bookshop, & had dealers, & collectors of childrens' books, asking if we had any of Enid Blyton's 'Noddy' books with golliwogs in them. We hadn't even realised such books were no longer PC. To me I just had a vague memory of them as toys in her books, & I'd also collected Robertson Jam's Golly badges when I was young, again a representation of a toy, not anything disrespectful to an actual person.
    On the 75th anniversary of VJ day we had a 'socially distanced' party in a neighbour's garden with lots of Union Jack bunting. A new nearby neighbour had put the German flag on the inside of his window on the same day; now that we thought, to put it politely, lacked tact.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think we are too PC correct in this country, I am not discriminating in any way but think if you come and live in another country you should abide by the laws of that country, one that comes to mind is not having ti wear a motorbike helmet if you wear a turban (this may have changed now)

And also that you are able to support yourself financially like you would have to emigrate to many other countries

Only my opinion dont shout at me if you dont agree
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @janer1967 when we have been in foreign countries for holidays we have met and spoke to many UK ex pats and very few of them have seemed to learn the language and they are often more "British" then those of us living here.
    As for those who come to live here why shouldn't they hold on to some of their identity? And most of them have to prove that they can support themselves financially, except of course refugees.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine I totally agree with your point about expats and also about people keeping their identity I was just saying that anyone deciding to live in another country should expect to comply with the countries law and ot isnt doen to them but the country to enforce 

Just my views we all have different opinions 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,646 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don’t agree with the phrase “political correctness”, I just call it “correctness”. Some things are simply the wrong thing to say and we should aim to avoid saying those things. For example, being blatantly racist or homophobic. There is nothing political about it it is just the correct thing to do, in my opinion.

That said, things like erasing Winston Churchill from history as he was racist, or Poppy Day should be banned because it is not politically correct...I will keep my opinion to myself on. ;)

Brightness