Hi, my name is Alexia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Alexia

Options
alexia01
alexia01 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hey there,
I have been living in hazardous conditions the past 3 years, in a flat that’s unfit to accommodate my access needs.

I‘m severely autistic with cerebral palsy, as well as other disabilities and health conditions, which make me pretty vulnerable, where the local council in Liverpool, as well as in Dorset, whom have demonstrated an intolerance against people with autism. I was staying with mum in Weymouth from over Christmas last year, and over the first lockdown, but through intolerable ignorance and cruelty, Dorset Council and mum’s landlord had me evicted, through such demonstration of hatred against me, and since returning back to Liverpool, it’s become very clear that I am no longer safe to remain in England, with no support around.

Fortunately, I have been offered a wealth of support through the Scottish Government and Nationally leading charities in Scotland, notably Drake Music Scotland, whom have offered a whole package of support, available for to enhance my music career, as well as community groups, and lifelong friends being around, who have been fundamentally practical in my wellbeing, and whom are concerned about my safety.

But cutting a long story short, with a property being offered in the near horizon through Link Housing, and have been left with no support in getting my belongings packed, and a rogue housing officer, and social work department, demonstrating no cooperation, nor demonstrating any autism awareness, I’m pleading for some assistance, if you would be able to help in, what I believe is God’s plan for me, to return to an area, where I will be supported and feel safe.

I can understand that we’re in a second wave of lockdown, but it would be awesome if we could arrange to chat around the issues that’s been raised, and possibly talk about the move at hand, especially when this pandemic has occurred further expenditure for products to enhance my wellbeing. I can offer to pay fuel costs, but in honesty, the charges removal companies are asking for is way too expensive, that I can afford, summing to an exuberant charge in the region of £695!

Praying that you will be able to help!
Alexia

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear all of this. Whilst we couldn't physically help with a house move we maybe able to help sign post you to people who can help, for a lot less than the quotes you've already been given.

Your local council can also help with the costs of this but it's a discretionary payment and you will need to speak to your local council and apply for a discretionary housing payment. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

Others may also have more advice for you once they see this. Good luck with the move!

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @alexia01 and welcome to our online community.  Thank you for telling us about your current situation.  I'm glad you have found support from organisations in Scotland and it sounds like you have a great life waiting for you up there :)

Aside @poppy123456 's great advice, I think Shelter may be a good port of call for guidance about moving.  If you visit this 'Moving costs' webpage it offers various pieces of advice and there is a pop up advisor who you can direct questions to as-well.  

Also, I'm sorry you came up against barriers to support in your area.  I wonder if any of our other members with autism have experienced a similar lack of understanding.  You can find all our autism related chat in this discussion group.

All the best with the move and if you have any more questions please let us know.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @alexia01 :) Welcome to the community! I'm sorry that you've been in unsuitable housing, but hopefully things will improve one you've managed to move.

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the Housing category
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • alexia01
    alexia01 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    @poppy123456 yes that was the site I tried, and that was the quote given. I’ve even tried e-mailing The Message Trust but the email just bounced back, and came up denied, which was very insensitive.

I’m doing everything in my power to resist the council, as they’ve really demonstrated a vile intolerance and lost trust in them, hence why I’m pleading with charities to intervene, even churches with other initiatives like helping people with disabilities to move.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is rather a lot of money for man with a van but of course it does depend how far you're moving and house much you have to move. When i last used then i moved more than 300 miles and mine was a 3 bed house so quite a lot of furniture but it wasn't even half what you were quoted.

Your only option maybe to ask for the DHP to help with moving costs, although this is entirely down to your local council discretion. The forms for this are also very intensive so help is advised when filling it out because they will want to know everything you spend and details of all your income.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness