change of circumstance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

change of circumstance

fieldsofnew
fieldsofnew Community member Posts: 46 Listener
Hi there, I have recently started work as an activities support in care. It does not change my pip descriptors. I receive standard daily living. I no longer recieve esa. I was receiving SDP. Switching everything around, I noticed that if I had applied for working tax credit before renouncing esa. That they would have seen my sdp entitlement on the system and awarded me working tax credit with no problem. Unfortunately I renounced esa prior to applying for working tax credit. So even though the last time I received sdp was the 2nd of November. Their system shows it as awarded at my time of starting work. I am so disturbed by this because if I had done this the other way around there would have been no problem. I have written to the HMRC and citizens advice advised me to say that I have recently been in recipet of SDP. The working tax credit office said I could send in a housing benefit letter with entitlement, by the last letter I received of this was from august. As it states on there my SDP entitlement. I also am still severely disabled as my pip describes and as approved at tribunal this year. It makes an enormous difference to my life to receive working tax credit. I live alone and am desperate to dig myself out into a position of being able to not be just making ends meet and to have prospects of one day owning my own home or a mortgage. I also would be entitled to disability working credit with working tax credit\/
I cant believe that a simple administrative error in the order of application on my side could causes such a dramatic difference in my whole life and prospects. One little line missing because I did things in one order rather than another, makes the difference of working tax credit and housing benefit, to U.C of £11 per month and no housing benefit. It is astonishing and nothing in my condition has changed.

Please could you advise me as how to appeal/apply for working tax credit in my situation?

Thank you so very much.
Yours, 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hi,

I'm a little confused by the dates here. Can you confirm please when did your ESA end? Also are you still claiming housing benefit?

Just so that you're aware, UC includes help with your rent because it's 1 single monthly payment of different elements.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fieldsofnew
    Hi Poppy

The last time I received esa was the 2nd of November.

I called to cancel this from the 28th of September.

It’s I hadn’t applied for working tax credits first - I would have got them with no problem.

Now I have been advised to say that I have been in recent reciept of SDP and receive PIP and can I please have working tax credit.

ok I see however the difference is astonishing - from £121 to £47 and without disability working credit.

It really does make a difference to me. I’ve come so far and am shocked at how this could occur. 

• fieldsofnew
    Please can you advise me of how to appeal or apply for working tax credit. I hadn’t no idea that doing it the other way around would have been a smooth transition.
  • fieldsofnew
    I also live alone and was wiped out with being back at work and all hat entails. I had no idea I had 31 days to apply ??
  • poppy123456
    Please take a deap breath and try to relax.

You couldn't have applied for tax credits anyway until you canceled your ESA. As your ESA ended on November 2nd, then this is within the 1 month of it ending so you can apply for tax credits.

Also if you're receiving housing benefit then the SDP is included in this so if you need proof of the SDP then ring your local council and ask for a letter with proof of your housing benefit breakdown amount. You will qualify for working tax credits if you're working more than 16 hours per week.

To claim tax credits you need to ring HMRC on this number. 0345 300 3900 https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-credits

They should also be able to check with DWP that you were previously claiming SDP with your ESA within the last month, although if you're still claiming housing benefit then the SDP in this calculation will entitle you to claim the tax credits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • fieldsofnew
    Thank you so much Poppy. That’s what I thought.

I have spoken to citizens advice who advise me to insist on progressing my claim and if not - to contact my MP.

The problem I had was that as I started work on the 28th of September- my entitlement is recorded as ending then.

so they have said they can’t see my entitlement on the system. I have written to housing benefit to request evidence - though am concerned I will encounter the same issue.

I have not had a reply from them yet.

• fieldsofnew
    I am staying positive and persistent -

Do you have a suggestion as to how I might proceed ? The evidence I have of my entitlement come before this time- August 2020

I no longer receive esa and housing benefit has changed -

I wonder how to obtain evidence of my recent entitlement as of November the 2nd. I made my change of circumstance only a few days after the one month required as I was struggling and still am at work - but determined to stick my ground there.
  • poppy123456
    Although you can't see the SDP that's added to your housing benefit, as it was with your ESA, it's definitely there in the calculation. I do know that DWP share information with HMRC but i don't know about local councils. It maybe better to ring your local council requesting a full breakdown of your housing benefit entitlement, i personally wouldn't trust just sending the letter. Tax credits can only be backdated a maximum of 3 months, so do be aware of that.
  • fieldsofnew
    Thank you poppy 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope the above information has been useful for you @fieldsofnew :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Please let us know the outcome and good luck with your job.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Best of luck with your new job please let us know how you get on . I know it’s hard when you have to just scrape by so I’m glad your now Able to work xx 
  • fieldsofnew
    Hello! So Housing benefit wrote an email saying they are sending a letter of my HB award for October and November.

I assume this includes evidence of my esa breakdown - I can also print their email ? which says of my entitlement to HB based on income esa and pip.

id this the evidence working tax credit will require?

thank you - work is good. It is a bit tough sometimes but I have a goal to save up and buy my own moderate sized house so it is worth it and achieveable.

I hope to do so within five to six years ??????
  • fieldsofnew
    edited November 2020
    I have other letters including my SDP with esa so I hope that this HB letter will be good enough evidence with these included ?
  • fieldsofnew
    edited November 2020
    I will of course keep you updated. 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Best of luck to you for your new job is it full time ? You will save up in no time so best of luck I know what it’s like to be with out money and work so must be nice to get back to work good luck xx 
  • poppy123456
    When your ESA ended did you report the changes to your local council? Your housing benefit entitlement based on your ESA is not correct because you no longer claim ESA. HB entitlement should now be based on your earnings, so the letter you received isn't correct.

The letters with your SDP of your ESA will only be accepted if your ESA ended withint the past month. If it ended longer than 1 month ago then it won't be accepted as evidence that you were in receipt of SDP within the past month.
  • fieldsofnew
    Hi poppy yes I did when’s i got through finally - no one told me I had one month to apply. I was awarded extended housing benefit for October and November / they sent me a letter stating esa on HB ended on the 28th September.

im sorry but if no one told me I have one month to apply and I have mental health challenges and live alone - and just gone back to work getting bullied and standing my ground and positivity pushing through despite it all- to stick at work whilst being Unsure initially if it is even feasible - I do believe I have a right to claim working tax credit. I tried calling and couldn’t get through for two whole weeks. 
  • fieldsofnew
    I was awarded esa last on the 2nd of November- they officially ended it in the 28th of September- 

Something’s isn’t right here’s I have written to my MP.

Could you please advise me of how to proceed. 
  • fieldsofnew
    I’m desperate 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.