Your unpopular opinions - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your unpopular opinions

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Plenty: There should be no such thing as council housing, now there is housing benefit for those who need help paying rent, but only while they need that help, not giving someone a home at sometimes a tiny fraction of the true rent, to keep for their whole lives however rich they might later become.  They also can have a four bedroom house with garage as a reward for having lots of family members, and keep it the rest of their life even if after a family row they live alone, shortly after moving in (real life example personally witnessed)

Rental housing would be better pooled in a national resource, with private and council tenancies banished in favour of a national 'approved tenant' register, enabling people to choose the sort of housing suited to their changing needs, to stay in an area or often in a particular home for as long or as little as fits their wishes and requirements, so they can easily move at short notice to live near work opportunities, or near people who will help care for them or be cared for by them, or to escape a frightening situation.   

The aim of the 'approved tenant' register would be that the government would underwrite the landlords for tenants who trash property and pay no rent, but would have the incentive to carefully identify the miscreant, in order to remove them from the list, but also to ensure they repay the costs of their actions.  They would also be unable to be problem neighbours, making lives hell and getting away with it because "we are council tenants, we can't be evicted because the council would have to put our kids in care and they dare not".  Now that people can be deported from the country after prison sentences and simply obtain fake papers and return instantly, it is essential that D.N.A. is used as I.D., never paperwork. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I like school dinners / in flight catering / hospital food :o
  • newborn
    I don't think this is unpopular with anyone here, but it is unpopular with developers.  There is a Public Consultation to ask if there should be no disabled housing built in future, or a little bit, a little bit accessible, or (Option 4) to ban any more inaccessible new build, and make it compulsory that a proportion must be fully disabled usable.   That means new building regulations should make it impossible for councils to give consent to have anything but minimum standard M4 (2), meaning wheelchair users can get into the door, but some should be standard M 4 (3), meaning disabled people can actually move round their home in a wheelchair, and don't need to have carers doing things they are capable of doing themselves.

Because the national housing stock has virtually not a single unit of M4(3) fully  disabled friendly usable housing anywhere, there is a good argument that the national housing stock needs correcting, by making every single new build to M 4(3).    It is so easy to simply alter the design before construction, and the extra cost is only £1,400, according to this Public Consultation paper.   Altering adequately after the home is built not only costs a fortune, but is never completely adequate.    

SCOPE, please could you transfer this with the right link to a place people will see it?    After the Public Consultation closes, in two week's time, it will be too late.   Millions of new build are ready to be pushed through planning and constructed in a mass home building drive.   The Equalities Impact assessment has declared that having nowhere to live has a positive impact on elderly and disabled people.    You won't believe it, so check 50. and 51 of the document, which says exactly that.   You don't have to be disabled today, and don't need to be a carer today, to realise that a fully wheelchair accessible home is fine for non disabled and disabled people, all their lives, but if they ever need it, and there is no such thing in the national housing stock, they will regret not getting onto that Public Consultation and filling in option 4, with a remark in the remarks box underneath, explaining the entire building regulations should demand M4 (3) for every single newbuild.

We can be sure the big developers will moan, because that extra £1,400 off their profit will annoy them.  But the population of the country need housing that will not become useless to them, not shoddy inaccessible brick rabbit hutches, with or without cladding, such as the construction approved in recent years. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Firstly...I dont care one jot what gender somebody is or wants to be...and I will treat all people with respect, unless I have a good reason not to.
    But I hate when people think they have the right to police our thoughts.
    I said on another forum that a man who may have had surgery to become female would always be a man who had, had surgery to become female in my eyes and not the same as someone born female...not because they're in any way inferior, or not as good etc but just not the same.
    I was banned....
    So, just in case, it was nice knowing you all...
    It's just my opinion...
  • newborn
    Cress, it is bewildering why stating a fact is a problem.   Nice knowing you too.
  • 66Mustang
    We are getting controversial, this thread is getting interesting

I won’t respond as debating is not the idea of this thread it’s simply to state our unpopular opinions

Thanks for posting everyone
  • 66Mustang
    Another of mine

The public are too stupid (and I include myself, I am not attempting to speak as an outsider) to be trusted to make decisions such as how the country should be run. That said I’m not saying that dictatorship is the answer just that democracy is flawed. I won’t pretend to know what the answer is.

I did study the concept of a “selfless dictator” in my philosophy A level but that is sadly not a possibility in the real world.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @newborn :) I believe that this is the link to the consultation you're talking about, including the ways in which you can respond. Please feel free to create a new discussion about this topic now that you have the link!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • encaser
    encaser Community member Posts: 400 Pioneering
    66Mustang said:
    I like school dinners / in flight catering / hospital food :o
    The three can be pretty similar in taste and nutritional content!
  • encaser
    encaser Community member Posts: 400 Pioneering
    Euthanasia should be legalised.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited November 2020
    encaser said:
    Euthanasia should be legalised.
    Won't happen, people have been asking for it for Donkey's years.

Unpopular opinion? I think Boris Johnson's a complete Berk, and that's the censored version! I also hate Sony, I've had 2 of their mobile phones, and they didn't work at all, plus due to my allegiance to the Xbox brand I've had many an argument with Sony fans, and last year I bought a Sony Cybershot camera from a Charity shop I worked in, tried it about twice, it didn't work very well so I sold it on eBay.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’ve never liked the Beatles.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    I dont think cancer charities should advertise free will writing services...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020
    I hate Rap music passionately.

in fact apart from a few recent Gems such as "Shotgun" by George Ezra, Pop music in general has been rubbish since around 1996 IMO.

Also, I hate PayPal, but it's essential for eBay buying and selling so I have to live with it.

• leeCal
    I also dislike rap

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    leeCal said:
    I also dislike rap
    I used to hate Marshall "Eminem" Mathers for his constant swearing in his songs, till I read somewhere that the guy has Tourette's so he can't help it.

• Cress
    All religions should be treated as a hobby and have no place in schools, the workplace or anywhere in public life...
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
     :o Blimey you lot aren't holding back.  Also, thank you everyone for respecting other's opinions and keeping it civil whilst perhaps not agreeing.  

My unpopular opinions?  George Ezra is overrated.  Chai tea tastes rank.  Lord of the rings = rubbish.  Jazz music sucks. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal

― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020
     :o Blimey you lot aren't holding back.  Also, thank you everyone for respecting other's opinions and keeping it civil whilst perhaps not agreeing.  

My unpopular opinions?  George Ezra is overrated.  Chai tea tastes rank.  Lord of the rings = rubbish.  Jazz music sucks. 
    George Ezra overrated? How very dare you! :D 

Lord of the Ring is indeed **** though, as are all 5 Hobbit movies.

Brightness