Hi, im Prash2005! Can you advise me about filling in the PIP form? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im Prash2005! Can you advise me about filling in the PIP form?

Prash2005
Prash2005 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
edited November 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone here, my name is Prashant and I just joined this community. My ESA is ending in coming month of December. I was told to apply for PIP and am struggling to fill up this form. Too many questions which make me nervous and anxious. For a couple of days am fighting my own demons and finding difficulty in focussing. Hope all of you are doing well and would welcome any help to complete this form. Best wishes and regards to all.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome try and take it a bit at a time . Do each descriptor in turn and give as much info as possible about how your condition affects you . Give real examples of what happens if you try and do the task 

How you do it do you need support or aids , if you cant do task why not , can you do it safely , reliably and repeatedly . Last time you did task how long it took who was with you etc 

If you need extension to complete form you can request this and allow plenty time for it to get there 

Any other help just ask 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask the reason why your ESA is ending? Are you claiming New style ESA/contributions based and you're waiting for a working capability assessment? or are you in the WRAG and the 365 day limit is in December so payments ares stopping?

When filling out the PIP form you need to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you, not an easy task i know. Just tell it how it is, there's no specific wording that you need to use. It would be very useful also to add some recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where it happened and a detailed explaination.

You can ring DWP to request an extension of time to return the form, which will help. I always find it easier to do a little at a time.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hi there @Prash2005 and welcome to our online community.

The PIP form can feel daunting to fill in and you aren't alone in feeling anxious about it.  Our members are really helpful at offering people the best advice though and we have had lots of recent successful claims :)  

I've moved this post to our PIP, DLA and AA board so people can offer you support.  Good luck!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Prash2005
    edited November 2020
    I have been claiming New style ESA/contributions based. As per last letter received from DWP, I am supposed to be in the waiting category for a work capability assessment. However, as ESA payment has reached the 365 days limit period, DWP is going to stop paying in December. 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that. Yes, you won't be the only person waiting for a work capability assessment. Some are being done through a telephone assessment because face to face assessments are still suspended. It's not always possible to get enough of information through a telephone assessment so there are people who have to wait for the face to face assessments to be up and running again. Unfortunately, they haven't yet announced when that will be.

Once the assessment is done and a decision is made if you're placed into the Support Group your money will be backdated to the 14rth week of your claim.

You may want to check entitlement to Universal Credit by using a benefits calculator. Do be aware that a claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming. Also if you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Prash2005
    Not able to claim UC nor Tax Credits as my partner works full time. Just to update, I received another letter today confirming the end date of ESA in December. Feeling confused and stressed.
  • poppy123456
    The ESA is ending because of the 365 day rule. Unless placed into the Support Group it can't continue after those 365 days. You could ring the Health assessment advisory service to ask how long it will be before you have your work capability assessment and they will be able to give you some information. These are the ones that do the work capability assessments.
    Contact details are here.

• Prash2005
    Thank you poppy123456, will try contacting them on Monday
  • davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    I got help from the disability adviser at Citizens Advice Bureau and when I came to reapply I got help during a phone call chat with the local council welfare rights, who filled out the form with me and then they sent it to me and I sent it off together

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.