Your unpopular opinions - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your unpopular opinions

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Cress said:
    All religions should be treated as a hobby and have no place in schools, the workplace or anywhere in public life...

I do tend to agree, I hated RE in school, I'm just not religious at all, never have been.

Usually if anyone asks what Religion I am, on Census forms etc, I put or say "Jedi"

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    I can't stand it when someone says "moving forward". I had never heard that term until about a year ago. Usually it means the person you are talking either wants to make you listen to their opinion and doesn't want to listen to what you are saying. It just sounds like another way of telling someone to shut up :) I find it so irritating because if only the person you were speaking to listened instead of saying moving forward. I have heard more and more people say it and it just doesn't sound like a natural thing to say to someone.
  • RAwarrior
    I also dislike buzzwords and I would include "moving forward" as a buzzword.

I don't like the following:

"Reaching out" especially when the person doesn't mean it. 
    "Touch base"
    "Ping"
    One of the ones I really dislike is when someone requests something but says "Ask" in other words "my ask is" which is absolute nonsense.
    "Buy in"
    "On the same page."
    "Quick win."
    "Blue sky" 

There is of course "going forward" which is same as "moving forward" :s

I would be interested to hear from anyone else on here to find out if they find any of the above buzzwords annoying :)

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @RAwarrior that’s a good point about “moving forward”!

Have you heard of a game called Buzzword Bingo? It’s a game one of my family members plays in meetings at work.

Basically you fill out a 3x3 grid with buzzwords that you think will come up in the meeting (like moving forward, health and safety, diversity, etc.) and when they do come up you cross them out. The first one to cross their whole grid out wins!
  • RAwarrior
    Hi @66Mustang,

I haven’t heard of it but it probably wouldn’t take me long to fill it in?

Maybe it’s just me but sometimes are becoming like clones all using the same buzzwords which sound out of place. If I wanted something I would say something like “please could you .... then say what it was I wanted. I would never say “my ask is” because it sounds ridiculous?

However, 
    moving forward ???

• RAwarrior
    Sometimes people
  • 66Mustang
    Hehe :D 

On a similar note I would say I’m not a fan of internet “memes”
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    On a similar note I would say I’m not a fan of internet “memes”
    gif of man blinking and shaking head in disbelief

Outrageous statement @66Mustang :wink:
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger

Also, I hate PayPal, but it's essential for eBay buying and selling so I have to live with it.
    Not any more!  Literally yesterday I had an email saying eBay are changing their payment methods.  You can now link your bank account directly to ebay.   :)
  • OverlyAnxious
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t like feisty. The only feisty people I have met were and are complete pains in the neck.
    Incidentally what is the male equivalent of feisty!? Pain in the neck?
    i also don’t like the misuse of the word wicked.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020
    I've just seen a comment on Facebook complaining about "brown people" on a Christmas related TV advert! Eh?

1) "Brown" people? Racist much?!
    2) It's the third week of November, Christmas is over 30 days away!
    3) All racists should [removed by moderator] be forced to consume a rolled up copy of the Daily Mail.

• OverlyAnxious
    Similar to the buzz words, I don't like persuasive words in ads...

When someone advertises a tiny studio flat as 'boasting a spacious open plan lifestyle' I immediately assume the rest of ad is all lies as well.  :D

Not to mention an 80k commuter car ad stating that it's in 'mint condition' and 'drives like a new car'...  I've had over 40 used cars.  Not one has ever driven like a new car...and I'd be extremely disappointed to buy a new car and find it drives like an 80k Insignia...  :D

What's worse is that the majority of people must be enticed by this rubbish otherwise they wouldn't do it!!  :p
  • leeCal
    @MrAllen1976 what about dogmatic idealists?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020
    leeCal said:
    @MrAllen1976 what about dogmatic idealists?

More fool them for falling for the baseless drivel printed in the right wing press.

I'm also not a fan of most Internet memes, because some times I don't get them, and people insult me for it.

• [Deleted User]
    newborn said:
    Plenty: There should be no such thing as council housing, now there is housing benefit for those who need help paying rent, but only while they need that help, not giving someone a home at sometimes a tiny fraction of the true rent, to keep for their whole lives however rich they might later become.  They also can have a four bedroom house with garage as a reward for having lots of family members, and keep it the rest of their life even if after a family row they live alone, shortly after moving in (real life example personally witnessed)

Rental housing would be better pooled in a national resource, with private and council tenancies banished in favour of a national 'approved tenant' register, enabling people to choose the sort of housing suited to their changing needs, to stay in an area or often in a particular home for as long or as little as fits their wishes and requirements, so they can easily move at short notice to live near work opportunities, or near people who will help care for them or be cared for by them, or to escape a frightening situation.   

The aim of the 'approved tenant' register would be that the government would underwrite the landlords for tenants who trash property and pay no rent, but would have the incentive to carefully identify the miscreant, in order to remove them from the list, but also to ensure they repay the costs of their actions.  They would also be unable to be problem neighbours, making lives hell and getting away with it because "we are council tenants, we can't be evicted because the council would have to put our kids in care and they dare not".  Now that people can be deported from the country after prison sentences and simply obtain fake papers and return instantly, it is essential that D.N.A. is used as I.D., never paperwork. 
    Unpopular opinion, most inner City Council estates are Rat traps and full of Chavs.

• leeCal
    @OverlyAnxious
    Not any more!  Literally yesterday I had an email saying eBay are changing their payment methods.  You can now link your bank account directly to eBay

not long ago my eBay account was compromised and I had to leave, I’m so glad my bank account wasn’t attached to the account!!!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    I've just seen a comment on Facebook complaining about "brown people" on a Christmas related TV advert! Eh?
    Wait until they find out where Jesus was born...  :#
  • 66Mustang
    edited November 2020
    Similar to the buzz words, I don't like persuasive words in ads...

When someone advertises a tiny studio flat as 'boasting a spacious open plan lifestyle' I immediately assume the rest of ad is all lies as well.  :D

Not to mention an 80k commuter car ad stating that it's in 'mint condition' and 'drives like a new car'...  I've had over 40 used cars.  Not one has ever driven like a new car...and I'd be extremely disappointed to buy a new car and find it drives like an 80k Insignia...  :D

What's worse is that the majority of people must be enticed by this rubbish otherwise they wouldn't do it!!  :p
    I assume you are familiar with the word “cosy” which basically means small!

Apparently Apple employees are given a kind of thesaurus of words not to say when dealing with computer problems, with alternative words to say instead!

Another one I don’t get with cars is when they say “female owner” or “elderly owner” like that’s automatically a good thing. I know plenty of people who abuse cars regardless of their age or gender and plenty who look after them well. Often (not always) “chavvy” looking cars are owned by people who really like their car and keep it in good nick. I would rather a car owned by a young male enthusiast who looked after it than a little old lady who abused the clutch and never took the engine above 2500RPMs. :D

That said for balance my brother’s first car was owned by an elderly lady who had it serviced every year even though she’d only done 500 miles in it and it was in beautiful condition.

Brightness