Hi, im sonia78! Has anyone been awarded PIP for mental health issues? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im sonia78! Has anyone been awarded PIP for mental health issues?

2»

Comments

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @sonia78 I recieve pip for mental illnesses . I recieved pip first time the report said they recommended it for a year but I got it for 2 and half years . I got my pip first time with out having to appeal . Ask any one on the forum I was so nervous bout my pip application already preparing my self to appeal when I received pip for higher rate living and lower rate mobility . And my disabilities are all mental illnesses . 

They don’t ask why you didn’t apply before . They didn’t ask my self . I my self suffered with anxiety for years and only applied at the start of this year I was too poorly fo apply for pip before when your mentally ill the thing on your mind is pip forms so i understand same with most people . 

I personally had care plans from the mental health crisis team with a good amount of detail on how my mental illness affects me so I sent those off with my form also my partner wrote a letter explaining to them how my illness affects me I also sent a medication list across also . 

I’m already dreading my next Review ha that’s anxiety for you . 

Good luck we are all here to support you . 
  • sonia78
    sonia78 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Thank you for taking your time and commenting,
    ive suffered from a lot of anxiety and depression for 3years,
    I have no help from anyone and I got kids so it’s quite hard tb honest,
    I’ll see if the doctor I’ve been seein can write a letter,
    so pleased that you didn’t have any issues and hopefully your review will go smoothly aswel?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    A letter from a GP isn't the best evidence to send because a GP very rarely knows exactly how your conditions affect you, they will only know the basics, like diagnosis and medication etc. Very often a diagnosis is not in question.

The best evidence you can send is your anecdtal eveidece, as advised above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sonia78
    That is so true, the doctor doesn’t really know, however I have been keeping him updated how life is effecting me,
    i will take on your advice and just tell them how it is,
    So when it says medical evidence is crucial to be successful does that mean just medication info and what I’m taking etc
  • poppy123456
    Medical evidence is not needed for a PIP claim because most of doesn't state exactly how your conditions affect you. Although this doesn't mean you can't send it but what you need to think about is if it doesn't state how you're affected then why send it?

It's those recent real world examples that will really help a claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sonia78
    I agree with you,
    I will tell them how I get through the days on good and bad days,
    Overall how long is the process from me filling in the disability effected form till the decision
  • poppy123456
    There's no timescales. Under normal circumstances most people had face to face assessments, which have now been replaced with telephone assessments. Paper based assessments are rare. As advised previously, a successful claim could potentially take several months.
  • sonia78
    Thank you so much for all the info and help, I will let you know how I get on once I get the forms
  • sonia78
    The only person who sees me day in day out and how my condition impacts my life in everyway is my son whos 15 years old,
    do you think I should ask him if he’s willing to write a letter or do you think because he’s too young they wony accept it
  • poppy123456
    They will either use it or they won't. No harm in sending it. Although you are the only person who knows how your conditions affect you. Concentrate on those recent real world examples.
  • tru88le
    tru88le Posts: 201 Courageous
    I'm not sure why you think they would ask that. Whether a person claims for a disability benefit is entirely their decision. DWP are not going to start asking questions about why they didn't apply before lol.
    I wouldnt put anything past the DWP. Ithey might if it ever goes to an appeal. Just like they bring up carers allowance at appeals even when they never queried it before, just trying to cast doubt.
  • poppy123456
    tru88le said:
    I'm not sure why you think they would ask that. Whether a person claims for a disability benefit is entirely their decision. DWP are not going to start asking questions about why they didn't apply before lol.
    I wouldnt put anything past the DWP. Ithey might if it ever goes to an appeal. Just like they bring up carers allowance at appeals even when they never queried it before, just trying to cast doubt.

The majoirty of people claim PIP successfully without any problems at all. Being a carer only causes issues if your caring duties contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP in the first place.

In all honesty, i've claimed benefits since 2012 and never had any problems at all.
  • sonia78
    It’s good to know PIP is awarded to majority of people and IF they do ask me why I never applied which I don’t think they will I’ll just be honest and tell them I was never aware there was something for depression and anxiety
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I must say, I totally agree with @poppy123456 here - the majority of people successfully claim PIP as statistics show. There would certainly never be a query as to why you hadn't claimed a disability benefit earlier either.
  • sonia78
    thank you everyone for your support,
    I really hope I get the forms this week
  • poppy123456
    They won't ask why you never applied before and i'm not really sure why you think they would ask you.
  • sonia78
    Like I said in my earlier post after reading your and others post now now I doubt it they will ask

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.