PTSD trigger advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PTSD trigger advice please

Eliz31abeth
Eliz31abeth Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
So i knew the triggery situation would happen ( 18th) and i thought i had got through it. I  mean i didnt get harmed this time i just had to answer questions about it. So initially i felt i had survived and i was safe. How bizarre does that sound? but now im dealing with the aftermath and feeling very ill..Can anyone advise what you do? The " trauma freeze" the not being able to move or function the going over it again and again in your head... the world that doesnt look and feel normal. The dread of having to go through it all again which i will do after xmas.The need to "do normal" so not to worry your partner
 I am a master at setting up systems when im well to help this but when i am in this post trigger phase everything seems impossible .
Is anyone able to share what helps for them? How you get through the next 5mins the next hour the day the night with this endless horrible dread??

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Eliz31abeth I'm sorry you are going through this right now but we are here to support you.

I can't profess to being knowledgeable about PTSD but until someone else comes along I'm going to copy something over from MIND's 'Self-care for PTSD' webpage.  Although this focuses on flashbacks I think (hope) it will offer some comfort and coping strategies:

Tips on coping with flashbacks
    Flashbacks can be very distressing, but there are things you can do that might help. You could:
    • Focus on your breathing. When you are frightened, you might stop breathing normally. This increases feelings of fear and panic, so it can help to concentrate on breathing slowly in and out while counting to five.
    • Carry an object that reminds you of the present. Some people find it helpful to touch or look at a particular object during a flashback. This might be something you decide to carry in your pocket or bag, or something that you have with you anyway, such as a keyring or a piece of jewellery.
    • Tell yourself that you are safe. It may help to tell yourself that the trauma is over and you are safe now. It can be hard to think in this way during a flashback, so it could help to write down or record some useful phrases at a time when you're feeling better.
    • Comfort yourself. For example, you could curl up in a blanket, cuddle a pet, listen to soothing music or watch a favourite film.
    • Keep a diary. Making a note of what happens when you have a flashback could help you spot patterns in what triggers these experiences for you. You might also learn to notice early signs that they are beginning to happen.
    • Try grounding techniques. Grounding techniques can keep you connected to the present and help you cope with flashbacks or intrusive thoughts. For example, you could describe your surroundings out loud or count objects of a particular type or colour. (See our page on self-care for dissociative disorders for more information on grounding techniques.)
    Do you think it might help to speak with your partner more about this?  I know you mentioned you feel you have to do 'normal' around them but I'm sure they'd want to support you  <3

Let us know how you are and remember we are here all day.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Eliz31abeth
    Thank you cher. The reminder was helpful..although i know those things , when in the grip of this its not instinctive and I forget.You reminded me i find a handkerchief / body spray sprayed with my husbands aftershave soothing to have with me. Its difficult to talk to him too much he is devastated at whats happened and what he sees me go through..he needd to see im ok
    I have set myself some very basic tasks even if it takes all day 
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    I can second grounding techniques. These can be mental or physical. For example, mental ones could be repeating basic information about yourself and your life to remind you where you are at this moment, a mantra or familiar phrase, or mental maths/something to keep your mind concentrated.
    Physical includes concentrating on one of the senses. Kinetic sand, stim toys or fluffy toys can be good for touch, aromatherapy jewellery, incense burners are very good for smell - particularly citrus ones for PTSD and dissociation. Lavender is good for relaxation. If smell helps, you could experiment with herbal essential oils like this - they can be really helpful. These are the ones I use.
    If you forget, it might be helpful to have a medical card in a pendent around your neck, so you can open it up and remind yourself of coping strategies and grounding techniques when you're in a crisis.  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you feeling now @Eliz31abeth
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @Eliz31abeth,

There is also a PTSD thread which was started by @male45 which you might find helpful.

This is the link:

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/73588/ptsd?_ga=2.49654630.1120129716.1605812245-760479328.1597967268
  • Eliz31abeth
    Francis Tori RAwarrior

Thank you so much. Am overwhelmed with the kindness and support on here..Please excuse me for how i am. Only my husband knows the full extent of what s gone on.I Iost my job and 30 yr career and cant process and heal due to the court and legal process so constant assessments examinations reports ..retraumatising me. With covid its a nightmare within a nightmare.I cant look to a normal world and normal things because there is no normal now. Sorry I wont go on anymore. But so grateful . Thank you all 
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    That's what we're here for :)
    If you want you talk about what's happened, I'm here to listen. Journalling helps a lot of people too, so that might be something you could try as well?
  • Tori_Scope
    As @Francis_theythem said, that's what we're here for, so there's no need to apologise for 'going on' about it :)

I can only imagine that the coronavirus pandemic would have made things a lot harder. I think we've all struggled with adjusting to the 'new normal' (I'm so sick of that phrase!), so it's important to hold onto things that do remind you a bit of normality. 

• Eliz31abeth
    Thank you. Feeling better today and managing to function again only on a basic level but its a start and a relief.
    Yes francis i do journal and it helps good and bad it gives me some perspective.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm really glad you're feeling a little better @Eliz31abeth :) Are you up to anything nice today?

• Eliz31abeth
    Thank you tori for checking in on me. 
    I went on a socially distanced walk with a friend. I felt a bit odd ( self conscious) which is normal after a big trigger ..but im learning to accept it and try and continue through. 
    How are you?
  • Tori_Scope
    It's great that you pushed through and went anyway @Eliz31abeth, I hope that it lifted your mood a bit.

I'm very well, thanks for asking :) 

Brightness