What would your DREAM job/career be? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What would your DREAM job/career be?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited November 2020 in Coffee lounge
Topic.

Mine would be working in Game as a Shop Assistant selling games and gaming hardware, either that or making games for a company like Sumo Digital.

I have a ton of ideas for games including remakes of retro games, I just lack the coding skills to realise my ideas.

So anyway, if you guys could apply for and get your DREAM job, what would it be and why?

Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Military pilot or astrophysicist :smiley:

I lack just about everything required to join the military and I lack a doctorate in astrophysics  :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Military pilot or astrophysicist :smiley:

I lack just about everything required to join the military and I lack a doctorate in astrophysics  :D
    Apparently the Armed Forces are exempt from anti-discrimination against the disabled laws so if you're disabled and you apply to say, the Army, complete waste of time, you probably wouldn't pass the physical on Medical grounds.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My dream job would have been as a political editor on one of the serious newspapers like the Guardian or Times.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Chocolate tester and/or famous author.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    I also wouldn’t mind being a motoring journalist. I like driving different cars, they don’t necessarily have to be fast cars - I like all cars, and testing them out and finding their strengths and weaknesses.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Absolutely love that answer @Cher_Scope :) 

My dream job would be to join the Army and serve in a Military role. Thank you 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My dream job would be a travel reporter going all over trying out all the resorts bit like Judith Chalmers did

Failing that a sun bed attendant on a exotic beach

In reality though I would have liked to run a small bed and breakfast 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WestHam06 said:
    Absolutely love that answer @Cher_Scope :) 

My dream job would be to join the Army and serve in a Military role. Thank you 
    Are you disabled? If so, sorry man but you have zero chance in the Armed Forces, apparently they're allowed to discriminate against the disabled, and depending on how disabled you are, you might not even pass the physical.

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @MrAllen1976
                                 Yes I am disabled and I would have absolutely no chance of passing the physical test. I have spent many years trying to accept this but in reality it makes sense and I was simply not built for that career but you can see dream can't you :) Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I'd like to be a Journalist for the local paper the Sheffield Star, and I would actually research my stories instead of leaching "news" from Sheffield Forum, I'd just never buy the "newspaper" seeing as I refuse on principle to pay a quid a day 6 days a week for "news" that can be seen freely online.

Also, wrestling journalist, especially seeing as I have better spelling and grammar than 95% of the staff on Wrestlezone.com anyway.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You'd make a good video game journalist @MrAllen1976 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SunnyTM
    SunnyTM Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    In my younger days I would have loved to be a backing singer or dancers touring the world but not having to worry about fame.

These days I would love to have my own art/ gift shop or be a travel blogger or combine the two and be a travelling artist.
  • LuckeeBlackCat1
    LuckeeBlackCat1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    SunnyTM  You can make your art/gift online shop like Etsy or Not On The High Street and get inspirations from travelling once safe. blogging is also web based can attach to your shop. You may ask local shops to sell your goods for you, Sale or Return basis can be a start. 
    Actually, I design gifts and want to have online shop too. Not really a dream but just getting back to former self  I was destined to and am qualified. I want to set up a social enterprise. 
    I must get advisor to sort out Permitted Work scheme. ESA earning thresh hold has increased to £140 a week average. 
    I moved from abroad so hate travelling. but last time I visited family I spent lots of time drawing manga. That is my dream practice as a child, I am doing it again.  
  • LuckeeBlackCat1
    LuckeeBlackCat1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but as a lady, I don't understand military career or such, boys? You must be watching too many films or something! You get killed at first!  I'd say police detective chief inspector or less desk role at police station back office. Isn't just a dream job for disabled person? Oh, 'Silent Witness' forensic scientist. ( I too watch too much TV!?) You could do IT or research or something in the office. I know a PC who were bank clerk and used to have hold ups every week so he thought he become a PC and catch them. ha  ha. Astrophysicist? Do you watch 'The Big Bang Theory' or something? They were so pathetic at first. Sheldon must be autistic or something. But it could have raise awareness. 'Speechless' feature disabled sibling. No offence to our autistic community. Dr Hawking often appeared in TBBT. I loved Patrick Moore. He didn't have PhD but very enthusiastic. Brain May, Brian Cox started as hobby after being rock stars and very late. 

Yeah, in the different incarnation, I'd be a vet, concert musician, rock star (karaoke is fine), witch, famous manga artist (may not be too late), cat rescue charity centre owner, film or anime director, fashion designer or queen!  

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @LuckeeBlackCat1 I don’t watch any films or TV so no chance that my ideas came from the TV. Not everything comes from the media! I’d actually go the other way and say that the media’s representation of things whether military or an astrophysicist is completely different to to what it’s like in reality. A family member was a police officer and they couldn’t watch any police-based TV programmes because of how far from reality they were haha :D
  • SunnyTM
    SunnyTM Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    SunnyTM  You can make your art/gift online shop like Etsy or Not On The High Street and get inspirations from travelling once safe. blogging is also web based can attach to your shop. You may ask local shops to sell your goods for you, Sale or Return basis can be a start. 
    Actually, I design gifts and want to have online shop too. Not really a dream but just getting back to former self  I was destined to and am qualified. I want to set up a social enterprise. 
    I must get advisor to sort out Permitted Work scheme. ESA earning thresh hold has increased to £140 a week average. 
    I moved from abroad so hate travelling. but last time I visited family I spent lots of time drawing manga. That is my dream practice as a child, I am doing it again.  
    I actually have an online shop as of 4 weeks ago. So hard selling on there though - much easier in person. I have some items on etsy too and am building that up. I am going to try and get some work in local shops too but I am shielding and not well enough at the moment.
    Thats great that you are drawing manga again.

Brightness