How can I afford to see a dentist?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I afford to see a dentist?!

ESABenefitsUK123
ESABenefitsUK123 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
Hello everyone, I need to have some dental work done, but it is not urgent.  I understand that some dental practices accept NHS patients.  I guess these are the only places that I should consider?  Regarding the practices that accept NHS patients, I understand that some have a new patient waiting list for you to join and wait.  (Others seem to say sorry, no, but we don't even have one of those, please try elsewhere instead.)
Is it the case that I must find a practice that accepts NHS patients, and that also allows you to be placed on their new patient waiting list, and just simply wait until you can be seen?  I guess the waiting time might be years?
Other than that, I can't see how I can see anyone, without paying very high private practice fees?
I am currently on ESA (Support, contrib), and PIP, and I have a total savings worth under the £6K threshold.
Thanks a lot for any comments or advice!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Find an NHS dentist near you by putting your postcode into this link. https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-dentist Some dentists are private, others are both but the link will tell you what they are.

If part of your ESA is Income related then you will receive free NHS treatment. If you're not sure if part of your ESA is income related then if you're receiving more than £113.55 per week then your claim is part Income Related, which will entitle you to free NHS treatment. If it's £113.55 per week then your ESA doesn't entitle you to free NHS treatment but you can fill out a form for the low income scheme. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme

In my area (England) at the moment they are only seeing patients for urgent appointments only. You may find that a lot of dentists are the same at the moment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    Thanks a lot.
    When you say -
    "In my area (England) at the moment they are only seeing patients for urgent appointments only"
    Is it the case that, if I contact a practice that accepts NHS patients, but is not taking on any new patients, but I need urgent dental work because I am in pain, that they will still see me?  (Are they obliged to, under law perhaps?)  Or, if this is not the case, I wonder if a hospital that has a dental "ward" (for want of a better word) would see me instead?
    The thing is, I am confused as to how to get treatment, if I do have an urgent problem, but I cannot register with a local practice that accepts NHS patients, as they are not taking on new NHS patients at the moment.
    Thanks a lot for any comments.
  • poppy123456
    You said in your first comment that it's not urgent. If you have toothache then that's a totally different story, there will be emergency treatment available to you in your area.  https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/dental-health/how-can-i-access-an-nhs-dentist-in-an-emergency-or-out-of-hours/

Although if your ESA is just contributions based then this doesn't entitle you to free NHS treatment, even in an emergency.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    Thanks a lot!
    Yes, you are right, I do not have any urgency atm, but I just wondered, for the future.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Ah ok, no worres. If you did need urgent treatment in the future, someone would see you so please don't worry about that. In the meantime, it maybe worth using the link i posted in my first comment to see what NHS dentists are available in your area and ring to see if they are taking on any new patients.
  • ESABenefitsUK123
    Yes thanks!  I have done so, and am in the process of contacting some of them..

Brightness