ESA rapid reclaim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA rapid reclaim

littlemouse13
littlemouse13 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
I have returned to work this week as i felt it was time to try part time work as i was feeling my condition was more manageable. As i am doing 25 houra a week, my ESA claim has now been closed, two days later my father has been taken very ill and is in hospital, i am receiveibg news day to day on his condition and i am finding ig hard to cope with the new job which is in turn affecting my health condition. I wondered if they was a way i could reclaim my ESA if i find my circumstances are becoming unmanageable within a certain time frame of ending my claim? I cant find anything about it online except for something from 2015. Hope someone can help. Thanks everyone

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this.

Unless you were claiming a severe disability premium  within the past month then you won't be able to reclaim ESA, even for a rapid reclaim because all areas are now a full universal Credit area so it will be this you will need to claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • littlemouse13
    Thanks @poppy123456
    you are always so helpful when i have questions.

It had all just been unfortunate timing, but I am just taking this day by day. 

I thought i might add (incase it is of any use) that just before i got my new job, i I recently moved in with my partner and so i had to apply for UC, and in my case. As i was in the support group income based ESA, instead if stopping my claim for esa ,ESA changed me to contribution based ESA (a lower amount than i got on support group ESA income based) which ran alongside my UC, and UC deducted the ESA amount i was getting from our joint claim.
    I was surprised as i expected to just be on UC and not have an ESA claim so i thought id let you know incase you get any other people asking about this kind of thing. 

As for my predicament, i am enjoying my job, although is it very tiring with the added stress if current circumstances ! But i am hoping that my Dads health improves and that I can come through this without a relapse. 

All the best
    :smile:
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome, I am always happy to help anyone that needs it! :)

I did actually look back at previous threads before i answered your question but i didn't want to ask about your partner just incase you didn't move in together.

They didn't actually change you to Contributions based, well not in the way some people may think anyway. (just incase others read this and think this can ba possible for everyone).

What actually happened was that part of your ESA would have been contributions based, this meant that your ESA or part of it could continue at £113.55 per week becauseit wasn't part of UC.

This is actually good news that you're now claiming UC. When you moved to UC your support group award should have been honoured for this, which means that you should have been given LCWRA (support group equivalent) an extra £340 per month. Did this actually happen with your UC claim?

If you're unsure and you've already received your first payment then you can check your statement on your journal and it will give you a full breakdown of the elements that were included. If they didn't apply this then please let me know and i'll advise you on what you need to do next. This will save me typing needlessly if it's already been done. It's late and my eyes are popping out of my head but didn't want to go to bed without first replying to your comment.

Am i also correct in thinking that you're claiming PIP daily living award? Sorry if i'm not correct here, it's just i help so many people i can't always remember each individual members specific details.

I'll happily help you further once you've answered those questions but it will be in the morning now.

I really happy to hear that your job is going well, despite being really tiring but well done to you for returning to work, that's amazing.

I wish your dad well and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery!

Now i'm off to bed. Sleep well, night night :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @littlemouse13 :) I'm glad that the above advice has been helpful.

I'm also sorry to hear about your Dad. You don't have to share anything you don't want to, but I just wanted to check-in to see how you were getting on? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • littlemouse13
    @poppy123456thankyou for your help, this is a breakdown of my statement :) im just heading out to work, so if i dont reply today i will tomorrow. Thanks so much, i was confused by the ESA!
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that. I can confirm that they have added the LCWRA element, which is the same as ESA support group. If you are claiming daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care then your partner can claim the carers element of UC for looking after you, regardless of the hours they work.
  • littlemouse13
    @Tori_Scope
    thanks very much for getting in touch. My Dad is hanging in there. He has COPD and has been self isolating all year, but when he got pneumonia from a CV chest infection, he was taken to hospital, but he had to be discharged too early due to a covid outbreak in his ward, and then within a week he was back in, this time he tested positive for covid. So unfortunate. 
    He has been on oxygen and is conscious, he now also has a urinary infection. Despite this he sends the odd text, but he is confused probably because of the infection etc...and thinks he is coming home this weekend. It is so hard being unable to offer physical
    support to his partner who is self isolating and has shielded him all year. I am doing ok, somedays i have felt that overwhelmed feeling and am unable to rationalise without my partner straightening things out, but i am stronger than i was, so am glad it happened whilst i was feeling mentally stronger. I hope you and your loved ones are well :)
  • Tori_Scope
    That is a lot to deal with, so I can understand why you'd feel overwhelmed @littlemouse13, and being unable to offer physical support to his partner must be difficult. Is his partner coping okay? 

It sounds like you have a supportive partner, which is great. Please do remember that there are people there to support you if things get too much :) 

My loved ones and I have been very lucky on the whole. Thanks for asking. 

• littlemouse13
    @Tori_Scope
    Thanks you Tori!
    My partner is wonderful, i met him last year when i had started to feel i could reach out and meet someone after being alone for 12 years, and i feel so utterly grateful to have found him, he is such a loving and caring being. 
    My Dads partner is coping and has and will have to deal with the stress and anxiety, but unlike my Dad, she is able to recognise when she needs to practice mindfulness and so she is quite strong, but i do wish i could help more. 
    The latest news is that my Dad has just returned home! Yes, he got through this ordeal and now has a long recovery ahead, he cannot walk as he has lost alot of muscle strength, so there are carers there 4 times a day, and inbetween, his partner is there. My Dad is a stubborn man and a tough patient, but his stubborn personality also fuels his ability to fight through the tougher times, he just must learn how to breath properly and do his physio now, so fingers crossed he will follow instructions! All in all, things are positive! So thought id share the good news!
  • Tori_Scope
    Thank you for the update @littlemouse13! That is good news :) 

I'm also glad you're all coping okay at the moment, and have a good support network. I'm sure his partner is grateful for you doing all you can to support them. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.