Rearranging pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rearranging pip assessment

md2020_
md2020_ Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all, I have my pip assessment next week. Unfortunately it falls on my mother's birthday, she is also my carer. So would like to rearrange.is this possible? If so, am I able to choose a new date over the phone? Or will they send a letter out with another random date. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Yes you can, you just need to ring the health assessment providers, the number should be on the letter you received. Although you may not be able to choose a specific date for your next one. They will either tell you the date over the phone or they will contact you once a date becomes available.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hello @md2020_ :) 

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us :) 

If you want your assessment to be re-arranged, I would advise contacting the DWP or health assessment provider (number should be on your letter) about it as soon as possible.

I'm sure they will take on board any preferences you have for dates and times, but ultimately the final decision on a date will rest with them.

When did they let you know about the assessment? If it's next week that is pretty short notice, they are supposed to give applicants at least one weeks notice of the date.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    @Ross_Scope i wouldn't advise ringing DWP to re arrange an assessment because they don't have anything to do with the assessments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited November 2020
    You're right @poppy123456, contacting the assessment provider should always be the first choice. However if somebody was unable to contact the health assessment provider for any reason, the DWP would be the next best option. 

They may not be able to handle the query directly, but they would certainly be able to provide a phone number if, for example, the claimant couldn't find the contact details for the health assessment provider.

I hope the information in this thread has been helpful for you @md2020_?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • md2020_
    Thankyou all for your replys. A really great help. Also am I allowed to ask for it to be recorded with there recording equipment? Thanks
  • poppy123456
    They don't record PIP assessments, even when it's a face to face assessment, they still don't record them. If you want to record it you have to use your own equipment but you'll need to tell them that you're going to do. When face to face assessments were running, you always had to use to tape recorders and give a copy to the health assessment provider at the end of the assessment. I don't know the process of recording a telephone assessment.
  • poppy123456
    You're right @poppy123456, contacting the assessment provider should always be the first choice. However if somebody was unable to contact the health assessment provider for any reason, the DWP would be the next best option. 

They may not be able to handle the query directly, but they would certainly be able to provide a phone number if, for example, the claimant couldn't find the contact details for the health assessment provider.

I hope the information in this thread has been helpful for you @md2020_?

I understand what you're saying but the assessments are nothing at all to do with DWP, so spending time ringing them would be rather pointless and as it can take quite a while to get through i can't really see the need to ring them.
  • md2020_
    I was advised that I can get assessment recorded, but capita don't have recording facilities at the moment so may be a delay rearranging 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Absolutely @poppy123456, it is a pain trying to get through to them, but their contact details are at least more accessible than the health assessment providers, speaking from my own personal experience and opinion. 

When I've tried searching the internet in the past, finding contact details for the DWP has been far easier than finding those for whichever assessment provider it is. So if contacting the health assessment provider isn't an option, I guess the DWP would have to do :) 

I'm aware that not everybody keeps hold of their letters as well, so it's not always as simple as just checking that. 

You're right though, wherever possible, I would get in touch with the HA provider.

• poppy123456
    md2020_ said:
    I was advised that I can get assessment recorded, but capita don't have recording facilities at the moment so may be a delay rearranging 

You were advised incorrectly i'm afraid. They will only record work capability assessments. They don't record PIP assessments.
    See link and scroll to the bottom (audio recording) http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/assessment-process.html

• md2020_
    Could you clarify this for me please. Pasted from benefits and work.

IAS (Atos) have begun recording telephone assessments for personal independence payment (PIPTherese Coffey, secretary of state for work and pensions, told the Work and Pensions Committee on Wednesday 30 September. claimants must ask to have their assessment recorded, it will not be done automatically.4 Oct 2020.

• poppy123456
    I have not heard of this, sorry. Could you please post the actual link for that?
  • poppy123456
    I found the link here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/4283-pip-assessments-now-being-audio-recorded although if you read further down it says the process is not yet live with capita but will be shortly.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.