Help and support for my children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help and support for my children

sachamaria
sachamaria Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me please? I'm looking for some advice on getting some more help. My girls are under young carers, but haven't been seen by them in over a year. I want them to receive more support, but don't know who to ask. 

I have carers who come in for 45 minutes twice a day. The morning is personal care, and the afternoon/evening is to help prep dinner. I need more help, but social services say they can't help me further. I asked about a support call, so I could get out a bit more as I hardly leave my house. I have an electric wheelchair, but struggle going out by myself. Does anybody know the truth behind what social services can and can't help with? As it's so confusing.

Thank you in advance ?

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I am not sure from your post if the support you are looking for is for you or your children . Do you need help looking after your children due to your disabilities ?

Other than social services I dont know who could help and you seem to have hit a brick wall there 

Maybe speak to your GP to see if they can suggest anything. I know this doesnt really answer your question sorry
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sachamaria :) 

In terms of getting more support for your children, what do you mean when you say they are 'under young carers'? There are a number of charities out there to support young carers, including Action for Children.

Are those care hours what was given to you after you had your care assessment? Do you mind me asking what is preventing you from leaving the house in your electric wheelchair? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • sachamaria
    sachamaria Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your replies. My children are 14 and 11. They help me every day. We're in Kent. I'm looking for things to help my girls as they feel like they don't get a break. I'll have a look at Action for Children. I only know of Young Carers (Imago).
    The care I get is through a care assessment, which I'm trying to have relooked at. 
    I'm new to using an electric wheelchair, it came in February/March this year. I have panic attacks when leaving my home. The wheelchair has swung out into the road, I nearly got hit by a lorry, so don't like going out in the wheelchair by myself. 
    I'm trying to get some extra help around the house, help getting me out. My GP has done a referral to a social prescriber, to help with this too.
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @sachamaria I’m Emma, it definitely sounds like you need more support in care terms and  with your chair. I’m a wheelchair user myself as are many of our members so we’ll be more than happy to help you.
    Is it possible to get an OT referral so someone can assess how you are with chair or even going back to  whichever wheelchair services if they supplied it to you? They should be able to help you if you explain your difficulties with it  Try putting it on a lower speed  for now, so you can get used to it, you shouldn’t have to feel unsafe or uncomfortable  going out.

Please let me know how you are getting on and if I can help you with anything else. 

Brightness