Not taken seriously about disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not taken seriously about disability

mystimood
mystimood Community member Posts: 2 Connected
Hi, all I'm new on here so hope this is right place for this discussion. I've several illnesses and some of them make me very anxious and in pain a lot. I try to hide my fears and pain by smiling all the time. So a lot a people don't believe I have anything wrong with me. How do people cope and deal with these situations?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @mystimood :) How are you getting on today?

You were right to post your first post into the welcomes and introductions category, but I'm going to move your post into the disabled people category so that it fits the topic of your post better.

I'm sorry that people don't always take you seriously. Unfortunately, many of our members have had similar experiences, so hopefully they'll be able to offer you some advice. Is there a particular situation when you find people don't take you seriously, or is it just in general conversation? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mystimood - & welcome to the community. Sometimes it's best just to let people know how you feel, rather than hide it. Perhaps that should be first shared with the people who matter to you the most such as family, a partner or spouse, & your friends.
    I don't know your diagnosis, but the following gives an illustration as to how to let the important people in your life know.....it's called 'The Spoon Theory.' Please see: https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/  Hope that helps. :)

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mystimood and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry that people don't always understand and believe you. Unfortunately that can happen when you keep putting on the brave face, which doesn't necessarily mean putting on a brave face is a bad thing. Some people are just constantly sceptical.

There are always going to be those people, normally strangers, who are rude or distrustful of a disabled person for no real reason, regardless of how you present yourself, which is a sad thing. However, I think it's important to be open about your feelings and your condition with those close to you, such as family and friends. Sometimes it's just good to talk about how you feel and it will help them get to know how you experience things.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • mystimood
    mystimood Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Thank you, I do find it hard to open up about my disabilities as they can be extremely embarrassing so I try to hide them as much as possible but when I do have to explain them, for example in a PIP assessment I always break down crying and feeling a shamed. And feel as though its not beleived.
    I am having therapy to try and help me cope emotionally with it .
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I often find it hard to open up about it too @mystimood, it can be difficult, I can assure you you'e not alone. But I find that the more you push yourself to open up about it, it gradually becomes easier to do as you realise people appreciate hearing how you feel.

I promise you that you have nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about.

I'm glad you are having the therapy and I hope it helps.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness