My panic attacks are awful at the moment, and I can't sleep. Does anyone have any ideas? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My panic attacks are awful at the moment, and I can't sleep. Does anyone have any ideas?

lottie2007
lottie2007 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
edited November 2020 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hi everyone 
 I’ve had a rough couple off days my panic attack are awful at the moment especially at night trying to get to talk to a doctor is impossible 
Haven’t slept for days 
has any one got any ideas off things I can do it’s wearing me out 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie2007 :) I'm sorry to hear that things haven't been good for you lately. Have you been struggling to get a phone appointment with your GP?

Here are some anxiety and panic attack helplines:
    • Anxiety UK - helpline 03444 775 774, text 07537 416905, email support@anxietyuk.org.uk
    • No Panic - helpline 0300 7729844
    Do you think there's anything in particular that might have triggered this increase in panic attacks?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie2007 - as well as the info Tori has provided, you might try the following simple breathing exercise, which I hope may help a little. This helps reduce stress, & is something I use each night to help me sleep. Please see: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    Try practising it during the day to get the hang of it at first. Concentrating on your breathing may help; you must certainly be worn out, so hope you feel this is worth a try. :)

• Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    lottie2007 Hi you need a focus so put some meditational music on, get some lavender candles and light them. Close the curtains. Lie on the floor or bed and think about your breathing take deep breaths and go to a happy place. I wish you well??
  • lottie2007
    I phoned my doctor only to be told I had to fill in a E form so doctor could ring me back. I had to put photo on to prove who I was I’ve been with them for years and order my medication every month then to be told I had to wait two hrs got them to check who I said I was. But still not had call back as said still pending. 
    What’s happened to the days when you could just Speak to a doctor. It’s not as though you can just walk into the surgery at the moment you can see how people get into trouble I’m lucky I’ve got a amazing family and all your support 
    My husband has been made redundant so got a lot going on at the. Moment so don’t think all these things are helping thank you for listening 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie2007 How was your sleep last night?  Any news off the doctor?

I experience insomnia a lot and recently wrote a post about my experiences and what has helped, so give it a read and see if there's anything that might help around your sleep routine.

It's understandable that you are feeling stressed given your husband's redundancy and the lockdown too.  Remember, this will pass.  I know it's difficult but it won't always be like this  <3

I hope you have some luck with your doctor and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • lottie2007
    Hi still no luck with doctor they said it’s a minor thing which doesn’t help. I will definitely have a read. Thank you I was so tired I went to bed at eight slept soundly but then awake at 3 ready to get up so sat knitting 
    I hope you are okay 
    it is nice to talk to people at least I know I’m not on my own  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's very frustrating @lottie2007. Did they give any indication of how long you might have to wait? 

Hopefully you'll be able to fall asleep at a better time tonight. It's important to try and go to sleep and wake up at around the same time every day, but I know how hard that can be- especially when you're really tired. 

I'm glad you feel a little less alone :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Leeseeloo
    Leeseeloo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I’m a sufferer of panic attacks and I play word games, they really help take my mind off them. I suffered so badly I couldn’t leave the house. It’s been my saviour, give it a try you’ve got nothing to lose. All the best xx

Brightness