Jobs you are glad you don’t have to do — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Jobs you are glad you don’t have to do

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,366 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2020 in Coffee lounge
Contrary to the dream jobs thread, what jobs are you glad you don’t have to do?

A few of mine...

Police officer - I wouldn’t want to take all the nonsense/abuse from the public and not be allowed to retaliate. I have a lot of respect for those in the force

Squaddie - I would have liked to join the army as a pilot but have respect for the “basic” squaddies who I think are undervalued

Lorry driver - they are some of the best drivers on the road and do a crucial job but I couldn’t manoeuvre a lorry round tight streets and country lanes!!!

Over to you...

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m glad I don’t have to grit the roads in the middle of the night...brrrrrrr!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad i'm not prime minister unable to do right for doing wrong.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    @leeCal apart from the vehicle being a lorry I wouldn’t actually mind it, just drive round in the middle of the night at 20mph listening to the radio :smiley:

@woodbine good one and I agree. I wouldn’t want to be any politician as they receive so much abuse and like you say they can’t seem to do anything right by certain moaners
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't like to have to clean up bodily fluids.  Or work outside in the winter 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Doctor - they do amazing work, but I could never work under those conditions, with that amount of pressure, for such long hours
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited November 2020
    On the contrary I'd willingly join the Police Force, in fact I've applied 3 times to the Special Constabulary, on the third attempt in August 2011 I got to the competency based interview, but they said my answers were "too short".

I would also refuse on principle to be plonked into some stupidly low paid "disability specific" position where all the "clients" as they're called are on benefits and therefore can't earn much without severe sanctions.

I also don't want to work in a call centre, according to a survey several years ago it's reported that most people like a Yorkshire accent on the Business end of a call centre, but most of the big companies here have outsourced their call centres to India, where compared to here the pay is considerably lower so the staff work longer hours than us Brits are allowed to.

Also, even if I drove, and I don't, I wouldn't want to be a Trucker or work for a Haulage company, too many hours on the road.

Politician. or even local Councillor, I'd never get elected because nobody would vote for me on a plaform of disability rights, but that's beside the point, I could never sit in the House of Commons listening to the likes of Boris Johnson talking out of his trousers all day lol.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    I agree with some of the jobs mentioned.  I couldn't work in a call centre because I'm more of a listener than a talker (surprisingly  :D) and would get sick of hearing my own voice.  

Also, I couldn't be a doctor or social worker.  They do an incredible job and I really do respect them however for me the constant pressure and responsibility would be too much.  

I don't think I could work as a mortician either as I'd find it too upsetting :(  Again, credit to those who do.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    Working in a call centre is a good one. A thankless job and I bet you get a lot of abusive people on the other end of the phone!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    66Mustang said:
    Working in a call centre is a good one. A thankless job and I bet you get a lot of abusive people on the other end of the phone!
    Indeed, I've lost count of the number of times I've slammed the phone down on a call centre worker in rage because my "problem" isn't on their "script" or even worse, they don't understand my accent! Sky aren't too bad, I can just about translate a Scottish accent, same with my Bank.

Brightness