Scared about getting a job (ESA) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scared about getting a job (ESA)

Beowulfie
Beowulfie Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I'm 22 y/o female on a joint young couple claim with a JSA and myself, who claims ESA (2 years).

With my Support Worker (not with the DWP) I have applied for a few jobs, with an interview on the 3rd of December 2020! I'm really pleased. However, I have my next reassessment next Tuesday for ESA and I'm so scared. I have long-term PTSD with co-morbid OCD/Anxiety/Depression who pays for a counsellor via my ESA as well. Should I tell them that I went for a job interview at the ESA appointment (or will they fail my assessment if I tell them)? I don't want them to suddenly think I have no issues if I get the job/or because i'm applying for jobs because I do, and always will but I feel trapped and I do want a job but it's been incredibly difficult to get one with so many Mental Health issues. The part-time job will be about £140-£190 p/w so over the £131 limit. I'm also scared if I get the job, then if I can't cope with it then having no ESA and also getting sanctioned for leaving the job. I feel like a prisoner in this system, I just want stability without getting penalised! ;_; I applied for PIP due to DWP request but I didn't pass that, even with appeal as I think I was "too vulnerable" or something? 

What should I do? 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm confused about the JSA part, or is it just Income Related ESA with your partner added?

Permitted work is allowed but you must work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £140 after deductions. Any weeks you earn more than this amount means you won't be entitled to any ESA and it will end.

You do need to tell DWP if you get the job and you must fill out a PW1 form and send it to DWP.

If the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you when it's made.

Please see this link for permitted work rules. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

If you're going to work more than 16 hours then you maybe better off claiming Universal Credit before starting work but before you do this you should either get some expert advice or use a benefits calculator. Your ESA will be honoured in UC and you'll be placed into the relevant group.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't tell them about the job in case you don't get it, i'm a little concerned that taking a job may not help you health conditions.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Beowulfie
    Thanks for replying!

We get the 'normal' amount of money for a joint-claim couple UC as part of my partner looking for jobs, then my ESA (LCWRA) is put on top of that amount.

If my ESA were to end could I reapply if job(s) don't work out? In addition, do you have any advice about what I should say at the assessment if I haven't got the job yet, should I do it and also inform them of my job prospects? I will definitely do the PW1 if I start too, thanks!! I think I should also contact a citizens advice as well. 
  • poppy123456
    I agree about not telling them until you know for sure whether you have the job. Whether you should or shouldn't take a job though is not really for anyone here to tell you that. That will be for you to decide because only you know how your conditions affect you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Beowulfie
    edited December 2020
    Woodbine,

Thanks for the reply. I will see @ the interview how it goes, but I applied for a job that is really chill in an area that I'm good at an have had success in, and the interviewer over the phone was lovely. It's just taken a long time to find one like this. I thinking I'm overthinking and jumping the gun a little. but the DWP terrifies me 

Poppy, 

Thanks for your answers. I think I'll just have to see how it goes and take it from there!
  • poppy123456
    I understand that. Although if you do get the job and accept it, you will need to ring DWP to tell them. If your earnings are more than £140 per week after deductions then your ESA will end. It must be less than 16 hours per week also.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Beowulfie and welcome to the community :) 

Best of luck with the job interview, hope it goes well :) 

Let us know how you get on. 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.