Hi, im zara1 and I have a question about PIP for anxiety/depression. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im zara1 and I have a question about PIP for anxiety/depression.

zara1
zara1 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited November 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just wondering anyone has been awarded pip for anxiety and depression,
ive had it for a while now and instead of getting any better im still trying different meds to manage it,
my support worker has mentioned pip
so would like people whove been awarded give their experiences plus how long does the award be for

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hello @zara1 and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry you have been experiencing anxiety and depression :(  How are you today?  I hope your support worker is helping you deal with your symptoms and things begin to get better soon for you.

You might want to read this recent post someone made about claiming PIP for mental health issues as it answers a lot of your questions.

I've also moved your post to our PIP, DLA and AA discussion board so people can find it easier and offer you advice :)

I hope that helps and please don't be afraid to ask any other questions you might have.  Good luck. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome there are lots members here who claim PIP for anxiety and depression have a look in the PIP section 

In fact there was a post recently asking the same and got replies 

How long is dependant on each individual person so it isnt a set time 
  • zara1
    I have read through the post and the answers are very helpful, I would like hear from someone who has been awarded as all this process seems very daunting to me and I get it depends on the circumstances how long I would get it for,
    Do they need letters from social workers and support workers etc or would anyone of them do,
  • janer1967
    The evidence you send needs to explain how your condition affects you on a daily basis so if letters do this then send them 

You need to look at the descriptors to see how you are affected against them it's not about your condition it's about how that affects your daily living 
  • zara1
    Yeah my support worker is willing to provide a supportive letter as I am
    in regular contact with her,
    I’ve even explained to my support worker that it seems slim me getting any PIP because I know someone who never got it and she had arthritis which was a massive suprise but she seems very hopeful as I have to rely on others most the days so abit worried
  • janer1967
    All you can do is try if you think you are eligible 

Give as much detail on the form as you can giving real examples of what happens when you try do each task 

If you need any support who gives it any aids you use can you do it safely reliably and repeatedly 

If you cant do a task why you cant do it and so on 

You need to ring the PIP line to start the application 
  • zara1
    I have applied few hours ago but won’t get my hopes up,
    Would love to hear from others with similar struggles 
  • Leelink
    Leelink Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    One thing that helped me throughout the PIP process is knowing that if i didn't get the result i wanted there was the MR stage and the Tribunal stage. So keep jumping through those hoops (If needed).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Although it's nice to hear positive stories because you'll mostly only ever read the bad stories on an internet forum. You can't really compare yourself to someone else because we're all affected differently by these conditions. As PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you're ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

When you receive the forms and start filling them in, you should put as much relevant information as possible. Adding a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Once you recieve the forms, if you need extra time to return them you should ring DWP to request this. Do be aware though that you should return it within plenty of time for it to reach them. Mail going to DWP has to go through a mail sorting process and it's not classed as being there until it's added to the computer, which can take up to 10 working days from the time it's posted.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there my disability is mental Ill nesses which included Anxiety I suffer with it really bad . I was awarded pip first time round . I was very nervous also and I got pip . I applied feb 2020 and received my back pay July I think it was.

the assessment was over the phone I was so anxious my partner was there to support me threw the phone call I was awarded higher daily living and lower mobility . I was awarded mines for 2 years . 

I would get a partner , family member or friend who knows how your disability affects you to write a statement and send that off I think that helped with my pip assessment them hearing what my partner has to say bout how anxiety affects my day to day life I also included care plans from my mental health team and a medication list . 
  • zara1
    Thank you for posting,
    I can truly relate to those symtoms as I’m going through exactly the same with being very anxious,
    you mensioned mental illness including anxiety,
    for me it’s depression and anxiety,
    do u suffer from depression aswel
  • cupcake88
    No I dong suffer with depression . It’s anxiety , ocd and ptsd pychosis I suffer with. And I suffer with side affects of Anti pychotics meds . We are all here to support you on this forum .
  • cupcake88
    Do you have a mental health nurse ? 
  • zara1
    Thank you for the support means a lot,
    No I don’t have a nurse at the moment,a social worker and a Support worker currently is working with me,
    ive got a crisis plan that me and my Support worker worked on or something similar For when I get to my lowest point as I’m a single parent and live with my kids so would know what to do as I do get in that way quite often
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zara1 - as well as the advice above, this link may be helpful, as it's about filling in your PIP claim form when you have problems such as anxiety & depression. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    Hope this helps, & do ask any further questions you may have. :)

• zara1
    That info is really helpful,
    thank you
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome @zara1 :)
  • zara1
    To my suprise I received the PIP form at the weekend and I’ve filled half of it in with the help of a DWP worker from the family centre over the phone and the remaining form will be completed today,
    it’s so different on how Shes been wording it and how I would have,
    Shes brilliant
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no specific wording you need to use when filling out the form. It's about the detail and recent real world examples that you use.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • zara1
    Hi everyone,
    I send my PIP2 on the 7th and sent some supporting evidence today,
    my only worry is I’ve sent the evidence to the address that was on my return envelope that came along with my PIP2,
    Should that be ok?

I have wrote a cover letter with my NI number on and name plus I’ve written the same details on the evidence aswel

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.