Has anyone given back their car early? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone given back their car early?

soconfused
soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
I used to work for BCA and I spent all day picking up Motab cars for end of lease or stopped allowance. But I never went to someone who just wanted to surrender their car. 

Well that person is now me.. I have had a relationship breakdown so bad I feel my only choice is to leave where I am. I have no family and no savings apart from PIP so the best I could do is use a few months on PIP to get a cheap motorhome. This means I will have no where to park the car and because of the breakup no one to use it on my behalf. 

Could obviously also do with the extra £260 a month. I am unlikely to get a re-award because my care person has now also gone - but I am just thinking about the next few years for now.  has anyone managed to hand their card back for any other reason than unable to drive or the car is not suitable?

Thanks 

Comments

• soconfused
    I couldn't edit for some reason but I forgot to say I've had my car since June and i've done 6K in miles. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    https://www.motability.co.uk/contact/faqs/-i-do-not-use-my-car-anymore-can-i-hand-it-back-early
    seems to explain it.
    I would be concerned about trying to buy a "cheap" motorhome as they are quite expensive, and you would still have to park that somewhere. Is PIP your only income? have you looked into other benefits you might be entitled to?
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• soconfused
    Thanks for your advice. i've read that and I am still not sure. It's not cheap it cost me a tidy sum but I know where it came from and it's history as my friend is selling it. I wouldn't need to park it anywhere the law allows for full time van dwellers to roam.In fact owning a motorhome and not having anywhere to permanently park it classes me as homeless according to Shelter however this motorhome is nicer than my current dwelling!  PIP and some part time work is my income but I am going to be looking to go full time with another role when I can get one.

I guess i'll just have to call them and explain - if they say no then that's up to them but their car will be sat on waste land for 2.5 years so it's in their interests to not let that happen 
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    You mention you dont think you will get a re award because your carer is now gone. A PIP award is surely not based on you having a carer around it is based on your needs, then you can find a carer not the other way on. If you have over 2 years left on your current award this will hopefully give you time to sort things eg full time job and long term housing.
  • woodbine
    As I read it if and it is if they agree to an early return they charge an £250 admin fee.

• soconfused
    Thanks for the replies - that £250 is a months payment but then at least it stops.. 

littleacorn - I hope so. Although I am not really sure if I want to go into long term housing. I am hoping to the motorhome will be a winner for me. I like to be free and I also like to explore. I have never been someone to think bricks and mortar make the home and it seems close to 1 million others in the UK feel the same.. So we will see but I had to go to tribunal to get my Enhanced rate mobility for reasons I might have to just face and swallow on my own (fear etc) It's better than a bin bag in the town centre in a doorway! 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Just because you no longer have a carer this most definitely doesn't mean you're no longer entitled to PIP. PIP is about the help you need, whether you receive that care or not, it makes no difference.

For your mobility vehicle you will need to ring motability and they will talk you through the procedure to return the car, they are always very helpful but as advised, there maybe an admin charge for returning it early.

As your relationship has broken down, if you were claiming any benefits as a couple you will need to report the changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • soconfused
    Thanks Poppy. I don't claim anything but PIP. I save that for situations like this! I am scared at the next assessment I will be told no but I can also get aids to help me dress and stuff. I am sure I will sort something out.:) I am going to continue to stock pile my PIP until it runs out in 2023 (I know they will contact me a year early) so November 2022 is the very least payments I can save. 

Luckily the cost of living in a motorhome seems to be far far less than a house. 

As for Motability - I will see what they say. I am hoping they will allow it - If not then I guess I am stuck with it - I don't mind for the fee but it does say they "may" charge - in my case they probably will so I will call them tomorrow as their next payment is due the 16th of December and hopefully will be the last one! 
  • woodbine
    @soconfused they now contact you 6 months before you award ends not a year, unless it was awarded by a tribunal then its 14 weeks.

• soconfused
    edited December 2020
    14 weeks before the end of the award notice? My PIP was by assessment for high living and standard Mobility and I had to go to Tribunal for Enhanced Mobility so 6 months for 1 and 14 weeks for another - got it thanks!

That will be fun! 
  • poppy123456
    14 weeks before the end of the award notice? My PIP was by assessment for high living and standard Mobility and I had to go to Tribunal for Enhanced Mobility so 6 months for 1 and 14 weeks for another - got it thanks!

That will be fun! 

No, that's not correct, you most definitely won't have 2 reviews in less than 6 months. My guess is that DWP will contact you at least 14 weeks before your award is due to end. At a review they look at the whole award again, not just part of it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • soconfused
    Thanks Poppy I thought as much ;)

I did reply earlier from my phone but it didn't post :(
  • poppy123456
    No problem. I don't know your current circumstances and what other benefits you may already be claiming. If you're claiming anything together as a couple, then you will of course need to report those changes.
  • soconfused
    Yes you mentioned that the other day. I don't claim anything apart from PIP so that's not a problem. 
  • soconfused
    Just thought I would update. I called Motability and explained the situation. The lady was lovely and agreed to end my agreement. She also said she would waive the £250 fee. I returned my car an hour ago. I might well apply for a scooter when I get settled into my motorhome. I was thinking A scooter would still help me get around to a degree and I could store it better than a car! 

For anyone looking at this wondering how it works I was asked to pass it on . When the agreement ends early it can take 4-8 weeks for the DWP to start direct payments again. Motability hold any money they get from the day you return the car to the day this happens and then they give you the money back. So you don't lose out on any allowance in the mean time.

Thanks for the advice all :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news and thanks fort sharing with us so we can help others 

I would recommend a scooter I have one as I can no longer drive, I would suggest you try and purchase one though even if second hand rather than go through the mobility scheme but thats just my opinion 
  • soconfused
    edited December 2020
    I currently have a Class 3 scooter which I got second hand and sold for a few hundred (paid £600 for it 2 years ago and did 1000 miles on it)  I also had a class 2 but the motor was so heavy I couldn't lift it! A mobility one is worth it for £15 a week and bearing in mind that comes with everything included. That said I can hold on to a trolley and push it around the supermarket as long as I take my time - and I need to get some exercise more anyway.  I can keep my blue badge which means I can still park close if there is a space. 

But I will look into it and thanks for your opinion I appreciate it :)
  • soconfused
    edited December 2020
    Edit to post 75 above - you also get any advanced payment pro rata'd back and depending on your lease a possible good condition bonus..
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for updating us, and for the information @soconfused! I'm sure it'll help our members in the future. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness