Pip appeal zero points — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal zero points

Dave1979
Dave1979 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hi everyone, a while back I posted here about me getting zero points on my pip claim, mandatory reconcideration same result, now my appeal is tomorrow by telephone, can anyone tell me if I have a realistic chance of winning after getting zero 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dave1979 - I don't think anyone can say yeah, or nay tbh. What I would suggest is reading through your initial claim form, as questions will be asked about this to get a better idea of how your disability affects you, which only you can know.
    If you haven't already done so, try & give tomorrow a couple of detailed examples as to exactly the difficulty you faced (at the time of your assessment) for each applicable activity/descriptor. Here's a list of them: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    You should say what happened, did anyone see this, why was it difficult, & what, if any, was the consequence of attempting/doing this?
    Please read the notes at the end of the above link too, as you need to say whether you can do each activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, as often as would reasonably be expected, & in a reasonable period of time. If any of these apply, then do try & mention them.
    Hopefully this will help, & I hope it goes OK. :)
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    Think positive luvvy, it’s sometimes easier to explain your difficulties when talking to someone than it is in writing it down. Good luck.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I agree that no one here can tell you whether you'll successfully be awarded because no one here knows exactly how your conditions affect you.

Although the detailed examples should have ideally already been sent in your submission as your hearing is tomorrow.

The questions they ask will really depend on how your conditions affected you at the time of the assessment. Any worsening of conditions won't be taken into consideration.

Sometimes it's not possible to give you a decision on the day. If this happens they will send a decision letter within 3 weeks of the hearing.

Good luck and hope you have a decision that's right for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dave1979
    Hi, I know nobody can tell me if I will be successful but what I mean is has anyone on here ever been successful at appeal after getting zero points 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Even if someone had been successful in gaining an award after not getting any points, you can't compare their award with yours, sorry.
    As Poppy says, ideally you should have already given those detailed examples for your own individual case. I was just hoping better explain these late rather than never.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dave1979 I just want to wish you luck for tomorrow I had my appeal 2weeks ago and it went well, I had got some points beforehand, but I’n 2017 I had applied and was awarded 0 points when I went to appeal I got 8 points, so was awarded daily living at standard rate, it can and does happen,  just take your time answering the questions if you feel really anxious just say to them I did and they were very understanding, good luck and would be nice to hear how it goes for you, take care. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a lot of members that are successful first time, as well as members that are successful at Tribunal but you can't compare them to yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I had 0 points, got 10 and 9 at tribunal. It does happen. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Very best of luck, and please do let us know how you get on today @Dave1979 :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Dave1979
    edited November 2022
    Hi, just an update, the appeal was postponed as the panel would like a little more evidence for the mobility issues although they are satisfied with the evidence for the daily living and mental health side of things. Mike [removed by moderator] believe it or not I actually did take your advice from the other post, I now have a proper welfare advisor representing me and not an mp or Councillor as originally planned, I feel I'm actually getting the right support now from someone who knows what they are doing so thank you for that. I just need to get a piece of recent evidence from my gp about my mobility issues and they also want me to do a video link appeal instead of a telephone one, things are certainly looking much better now 
  • lizzie71
    lizzie71 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hello good luck for tomorrow I had my appeal 2 weeks ago and I wrote down my key points how my disability affected my everyday life 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.