Disability Premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Premiums

Girl_No1
Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
I have recently been awarded Standard Daily Living PIP, and I've requested a Mandatory Reconsideration.

I have recently been retired from my job on ill-health grounds and will receive a pension and a lump sum.  The lump sum will pay off my mortgage, and the remainder will leave me with in excess of £16k.

I realise I'm fortunate in that the pension and savings mean I do not need to apply for Universal Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

However, I have applied for ESA to start when my payment in lieu expires - my employer provided 12 weeks in lieu to allow time for the pension provider to organise and pay the pension/lump sum. 

Given my work history, I would expect to be considered for Contribution Based ESA.  I also know my pension will affect any payment made to me, and I understand how that works.  

As a result of researching PIP, I recently became aware of Disability Premiums.  I seem to understand these are only paid if no-one is claiming Carer's Allowance for caring for you, which is the case for me.   Since becoming aware of these Premiums, I have trawled t'internet for information but I can't seem to find definitive answers to these questions: 

1)  Are Disability Premiums that can be added to ESA only available to those who also claim UC/HB/CTR?
2)  Are there any Disability Premiums that are applicable to PIP, if no ESA is claimed?
3)  How easy is it to withdraw an ESA application?

I'm asking Q3 because after reading the in-depth info on ESA, it sounds like a nightmare to pursue. I'm not sure if I'm up to continuing the application, particularly if there is a risk I will be placed in a group where I'm required to prepare for work again, given I've already been retired on ill-health grounds.  I do not require NI contributions towards pension entitlement as my NI requirement is complete due to previous work history. 

Sorry for the lengthy post just hoping to avoid anyone looking to help me having to ask more questions! :) 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    HI,

The ESA you will have claimed is New style ESA, which is a contributions on based benefit. The disability premiums are unfortunately not payable on this type of ESA. For the disability premiums you must be claiming the old Income Related ESA.

there is no disability premium paid with your PIP award either. They are purely only paid on top of Income Related benefits such as ESA/JSA/Income Support and the Severe disability premium can also be with housing benefit.

This link confirms that they are paid with the benefits i mentioned above.

If you decide not to carry on with your ESA claim you can ring DWP to cancel your claim. Although you may still receive the work capability assessment form from the health assessment advisory service, if you do then you'll need to ring the number on the letter to tell them that you wish to withdraw your claim.

With the ESA it is only paid for 365 days unless you're placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in that group. Support Group there's no appointments at your local job centre, there's no preparing for work, there's nothing. WRAG there maybe some job centre appointments but phone calls can be arranged if you're unable to attend the job centre. It maybe worth continuing with the claim if you think you qualify for the Support Group. Descriptors here.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    @poppy123456 Thank you so much for the clear information!  I was going round in circles reading (and mis-reading) information on so many sites.  Regarding ESA, I think I'll wait to see what the outcome of the PIP Mandatory Review is and make decisions from there.

@poppy123456 = Legend!!   o:)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    You're most welcome. Yes, the benefit system isn't the easiest to understand. If you decide to go ahead with the ESA claim and you need any advice please do post back and i'm sure someone will advise you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.