Has anyone had experience renting a house to their son or daughter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone had experience renting a house to their son or daughter?

lainyjane
lainyjane Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Has anyone here had experience renting a house to there son / daughter. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome sorry not something I have done 

Is there anything specific you want to know about it or just asking for others experience 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask if your son/daughter would be claiming help with the rent for this house?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lainyjane
    Hi my son has been in his house for 8 years but the costs are mounting up. He does get housing benefit but I'm finding I'm having to put around 400 sometime 600 of my own money to ot every month. I've just heard about the discussionary fund and SW has said to put his rent up. I just wondered if anyone else had experience of this. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm assuming you're having to put money towards the mortgage on the house?

How much housing benefit he's entitled to will depend on his circumstances. A discretionary housing payment is just that, discretionary it will depend on the local councils funding and the reasons why he's asking for the payment, it's not guaranteed. If he successful then it's only paid for a short amount of time and then you have to re-apply. Details here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

The form for the DHP is very complex and they will need a full expenditure list of all outgoings and all incomie

Even if you increase the rent it doesn't mean he's automatically entitled to more housing benefit. You can check here what the maximum amount he could receive for his circumstances and you'll need to make sure you drop down the correct boxes, so if he lives alone and he's over 35 then he'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. If he's under 35 it would be the shared rate, unless he's claiming either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care and then he'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lainyjane :) I hope the above advice has helped?

Just to let you know, I've renamed your post and moved it into our housing category. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • lainyjane
    Oh ok thank you 

Kind regards 

Lainy jane 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I should have explained, it's just so that people can find your post more easily @lainyjane! We have quite a few categories here on the community, so we sometimes move them if we think they fit better elsewhere :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness