Should I put my disability on my CV? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I put my disability on my CV?

Awesomelorenzo
Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
edited July 2020 in Work and employment
The jobcentre advise it, but I think it will turn people off me.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi the decision is entirely yours and would depend on how much your disability affects you

It may not be advisable to put on CV but if it is going to restrict your ability to do the job then you should inform any companies who offer you an interview or put it down if asked on an application form

If you do let them know before then any employer that is part of the disability two ticks recognition scheme they should offer you a guaranteed interview if you meet the minimum requirements of the job role.  They are also required to make any adjustment required at application/ interview and selection stage too

If you want to know more about the two ticks scheme let me know

• Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Yeah. I would like to know more about the two ticks scheme.
  • janer1967
    It is a recognition awarded by job centre to companies that demonstrate they are disabled aware and follow best practice with regards to equality and diversity 

They seek to employ and keep disabled employees

If they have the recognition they display 2 ticks on their application forms or online applications 
  • janer1967
    Please note though that if a company doesn't have the two ticks it doesn't mean they dont encourage disabled employees it's just they have not gone for the recognition scheme 

It tends to be larger companies that go for it 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    No, no and did I mention, no?! If you're like me and declare your disability right from the start, you WILL be discriminated against and your application form will get insta-binned.

Sorry but that's been my experience over the last 20 odd years.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    No, no and did I mention, no?! If you're like me and declare your disability right from the start, you WILL be discriminated against and your application form will get insta-binned.

Sorry but that's been my experience over the last 20 odd years.

It has to be said that not everyones experience will be the same.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited December 2020
    Also, I know from bitter experience that the clueless cretins of Job Centre Plus couldn't advise last week's Lottery numbers! They're all about as much use as cardboard cut outs and that's being kind!
  • janer1967
    @MrAllen1976 I have to disagree with you here , I was in HR and recruitment for 30 years for varied companies and not one I worked for would treat a disabled applicant any less favourably 

In fact many organisations give guaranteed interviews for disabled applicants if they meet the essential criteria for the role

I know there are employers out there who do discriminate but equally there are ones that are very positive in inclusion for all
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    It may be a good idea to divulge your disability from a health and safety point of view if you get the job. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Not my area of expertise, but as far as I understand, a c.v.  should be tailored and tweaked for each  job.   Obviously only you can forecast if your own disability impacts the way you do your work. And only you know which particular firm you are targeting, so  you will have researched it.  (On that, don't necessarily assume that a stated policy to do something has made the slightest impact on the recruiter, though.  The kid next door has a stated policy to be a good boy, but still carries on hitting his little brother!) 
     For each job, how will it really  make a difference, and how might an uninformed recruiter fear it will make a difference?  Figure that out, then you know how to knock down any imagined problems before they can even start to make a difference to your potential employer e.g. he thinks someone blind can't do a job, but it says on your c.v. you did exactly that work before, or he thinks someone with one leg can't do a job, but your c.v. mentions you enjoy rock climbing. 

Others know much more about this than I do.   I do remember  figures showing that mental health is the most difficult one to get past potential employers, possibly for understandable reasons, if they think all mental  illness involves people running round with an axe, or refusing to turn up for work exactly when it is vital to have someone, or failing to turn up for most of the time, yet being unsackable, for fear they claim discrimination and cost the employer a fortune in legal fees 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Also, I know from bitter experience that the clueless cretins of Job Centre Plus couldn't advise last week's Lottery numbers! They're all about as much use as cardboard cut outs and that's being kind!

In all honesty i couldn't advise last week lottery numbers either but google can.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dawn_Scope
    Dawn_Scope Community member, Scope Posts: 3 Listener
    If you feel it is relevant to the role or company you are applying then do include, particularly if a vacancy listing is asking for a certain experience or condition (for example a Visual Impairment organisation is looking to recruit someone with a visual impairment), however as an employment adviser I would say not to and to wait until interview or HR screening on induction to disclose, if at all.  You are not obliged in any way to disclose anything about your health conditions, impairments or disabilities to potential employers.  

Dawn
    Scope Employment Adviser and Self Employment Expert

Brightness