Loans etc for learning? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Loans etc for learning?

Options
itswheelieme
itswheelieme Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited December 2020 in Education
hello all,
does  anyone know where I can get a loan - from a charity or scheme - for a course I'd like to learn.

I'm on PIP & UC & am a Pwd wheelchair user & female - if any of that helps with direction to look in.
Thanks muchly

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

Student finance would be one of them. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

Do be aware that some student loans can affect the amount of UC you're entitled to, even if you decide not to take that loan, it will still be counted as income.

Students and benefits are extremely complicated and for this reason i'd advise you to ring the disabled students helpline for further advice and they will be able to give you all the information you need regarding loan and your benefits.

Also if you haven't been assessed as having limited capability for work then as a student you won't be able to continue with your UC claim at all.

PIP of course won't be affected because it's not means tested.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • itswheelieme
    itswheelieme Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Poppy,
    thankyou so much for your help; I'm blown away by your speed and knowledge! Boy am I glad I joined! :o)

I will def ring the Disabled Students Help line as my next port of call - it's a minefield!  

Thanks again Poppy, I really appreciate your help, it feels so good to know now that there is something I can do next.

All the Best

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're most welcome. Good luck :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm glad @poppy123456 was able to help @itswheelieme! I hope you manage to find something. What are you hoping to study?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness