Severe Disability Premium - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Premium

2»

Comments

• Danny3
    Danny3 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Hello to all. My back payment of SDP has arrived. A lovely lady phoned me in advance, to take away the shock of the amount being paid into my bank account. I still had an attack of the vapours though, but am recovering nicely.

Would urge anyone still upset or in panic about doing the paperwork, to pluck up the courage to get in touch with the DWP and find out if you are entitled to SDP. It goes without saying that the back payment can be life changing, but so could the extra money you then get paid every fortnight. 

Good luck to all of you who apply. All the information you need is supplied on this site, and it appears the DWP has outsourced the claims for this benefit to companies who are not yet trained to be unhelpful to us customers :-) Rule number one, is of course to always be polite to DWP staff, and allow them to feel powerful. Because they have the power to end your call if they detect you being 'emotional' or getting heated. 

This is not to say we should appear weak, but it does help to show we know what side our bread's buttered these days. The only explanation I have been given regarding my personal claims having been such a nuisance and hard work, is because I "fell through the gap" because I had never made a claim since leaving school. Make of this what you will.  It was explained to me that the systems changed a few years ago, and they had to spend a lot of time having to refer back to 'old systems'.  And I quote "It's a bit of a phenomenon to have never claimed before. Are you sure you haven't claimed before?" Thank goodness the inland revenue is always on top of their game, is all I can say.  Without them, I would probably still be lost in the gap I'm supposed to have fallen through when I became ill :-)  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    What great news @Danny3 - you've rather been through it, so good to know that you got there in the end. Congratulations are in order! :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @Danny3, bravo to you for not giving up on it and getting the positive outcome in the end :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    That's fantastic news!!!!!  <3<3<3

• Danny3
    edited December 2020
    Thanks all. I'm still shaking like a leaf because the money has come through so quickly.  Many thanks to Poppy for warning me the money could come through quite quickly. She was right, at a time when I was more than a bit pessimistic.

Spare specs are now on order; a few items purchased from my long "Wish" lists; donations made to my favourite charities who give direct help to people and animals; Scope's to be sent tomorrow. Oh, and the heating's been turned up a degree or two this past couple of days. :smile: 

What a strange year this has turned out to be. Seasons greetings to all xx

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Going by what you said, i knew you'd be entitled to it. Glad to hear it came through quick, which it usually does when applying over the phone. Don't forget the backdated money is disregarded for 1 year for all means tested benefits.

Sounds like the perfect Christmas pressy to me. Spoil yourself!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Danny3
    I'm trying to treat myself, but I've forgotten how to spend without first checking into my bank account. I think I can see why some people have to go into counselling when they've won the lottery :smiley:   
  • poppy123456
    :D You'll also have that £66.95 extra per week, which is a massive increase. It definitely does help. I'm sure you'll find something nice to treat yourself with! You deserve it after living so long on very little. Great to hear good news on the community.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Danny3
    Having a pair of spare specs will be life changing for me. It is so frustrating when I forget to put them on in a morning, or take them off to do a task, and then have to wait hours before I can build up enough strength to go and recover them! Due to my body not working the way I want it to sometimes, I dare not wear specs on a chain, as I could crush them. I'm planning on leaving my new specs on the coffee table permanently. Pure luxury. 

New slippers are next on my list. Bit extravagant, because there is nothing wrong with the ones I'm wearing. I know some people will know what I mean when I say I am sick of seeing the same slippers on my feet, I don't walk around in them enough to ever cause them to wear out :smiley:  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Enjoy the new slippers @Danny3 :) My dad used to ask for new ones every year for Christmas :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Danny3
    Thank you, Tori. I mentioned I was treating myself to some slippers to someone this morning, and was told not to buy any, as they have already bought me a pair. I would usually be very grateful, but people buying me things, is not helping me to spend and get rid of my own money :smiley:
  • poppy123456
    Danny3 said:
    Thank you, Tori. I mentioned I was treating myself to some slippers to someone this morning, and was told not to buy any, as they have already bought me a pair. I would usually be very grateful, but people buying me things, is not helping me to spend and get rid of my own money :smiley:

Now they've spoilt the surpise :D What about new furniture? maybe something needs replacing? or there's something else you would like for yourself?
  • poppy123456
    Is this about disability premium 

It's a thread regarding the severe disability premium.
  • poppy123456
    I was currently getting enchanted disability premium and they put me on universal credit in 2019 

Yes, i remember trying to help you not long ago, the thread is here. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/362873#Comment_362873

Although Enhanced disability premium is totally different to severe disability premium.

If you're now claiming Universal Credit then the disability premiums no longer exist when claiming this.

• poppy123456
    I am in no work related group of universal credit now so should be receiving extra money 

That will depend on which group exactly that you're in and the reasons why you claimed UC when you were previously claiming ESA.
  • poppy123456
    I never claimed universal credit esa transferd me to universal credit 

That's not possible DWP would never do that, you have to claim UC yourself, it's not automatically done.
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry but you definitely wouldn't have automatically been "put" onto UC you would have had to claim it yourself.
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2020
    I have never once called you a liar. I'm trying to help you but what you're saying makes no sense at all. I also tried to help you a few weeks ago but failed because again you weren't making any sense.

No one gets put onto UC, you have to claim it yourself.

If you moved house to a different local council then yes you would have had to claim UC if you needed help with any rent.

If you are now claiming UC then the disability premiums don't exist on this, they only exist for the old legacy benefits like ESA.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marcushodgkiss93 - I can only also say that UC is something you need to claim, as Poppy says. Poppy, who knows an awful lot about benefits, is only trying to help. Might you try & say more, so she can help? Perhaps give an approximate timeline as to what has happened if you wouldn't mind.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.