Email from UPS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Email from UPS

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
I have just received an email from UPS that a parcel will be delivered to my address tomorrow.

It is not from a fake address, I’ve already checked that out, and it is addressed to my first name and they got my address right as well...

I’m a bit worried 

Has anyone else had anything similar?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    PS the parcel is coming from a German company that makes work boots...not something I’ve ordered.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    It's spam, delete it.

• 66Mustang
    I thought that at first but I can understand if it was from someone pretending to be UPS but it’s from their official email address, why would a legitimate company send out spam?
  • 66Mustang
    Also am I safe to log into other sites or should I do something with my device first?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,344 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd also say it's spam, if you definitely haven't ordered anything or someone else you know hasn't. Providing you haven't clicked on any links that maybe in the email then you should be fine.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I think email addresses can be cloned like mobile numbers, so that it appears to come from someone else.

I don't really understand what the scam would be here though.  If you get a new pair of boots tomorrow then great...if not, it was probably spam...
  • 66Mustang
    Ok thanks 

If it is indeed spam I am a bit worried to know how they got my address and name though! I don’t share anything online unless I really have to but I do have an account with UPS.
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    I think email addresses can be cloned like mobile numbers, so that it appears to come from someone else.

I don't really understand what the scam would be here though.  If you get a new pair of boots tomorrow then great...if not, it was probably spam...
    I heard something similar and know to mouse over the email address to see what it really is

It could be hello@ups.com then when you mouse over it it’s actually a different address like im@scammer.com, however in this case it wasn’t 

Maybe they have gotten more clever

Haha true about the boots :D
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep I'd agree, press delete!   You could also forward it onto the UPS team to check.  They have contact details and advice on this Fraudulent emails webpage.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for the link @Cher_Scope

Was going to forward it to them but accidentally deleted it lol, probably for the best

I will forward any more I get to them
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:

I heard something similar and know to mouse over the email address to see what it really is

It could be hello@ups.com then when you mouse over it it’s actually a different address like im@scammer.com, however in this case it wasn’t 

Is there a tracking number on the email?

If there is, go on to the website (don't click through from the email) and then put the number in.  If there's tracking info it must be genuine.

Anyone can buy your name and address on the dark web for pennies these days.  
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang said:

Is there a tracking number on the email?

If there is, go on to the website (don't click through from the email) and then put the number in.  If there's tracking info it must be genuine.

Anyone can buy your name and address on the dark web for pennies these days.  
    I did that - copied and pasted it instead of clicking - it’s a parcel coming from Germany apparently... :|

Now deleted though so cant do anymore with it
  • Cher_Alumni
    Also, not sure if any of you have seen this on the news but there is a fake DPD email scam on the go so be weary of any suspect messages.  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    Ok so I got another email and forwarded it to fraud@ups.com and they confirmed it is indeed a legitimate communication from UPS.

This has gotten weirder :o
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Could it be a Christmas present someone has sent you @66Mustang? I once worried someone had access to my details, but it turned out my Dad had posted me something without telling me, and had put my phone number in case they needed to get in touch about the delivery. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    Ok the mystery is over, kind of...a family member ordered the stuff and for some reason I was getting delivery notifications for their parcels!!
  • Cher_Alumni
    @66Mustang Who needs Agatha Christie eh.  Glad the mystery is solved! 

• 66Mustang
    Why they sent the details to my email address is still a mystery though!

Brightness