escitalopram For anxiety and panic attacks - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

escitalopram For anxiety and panic attacks

2»

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Michyh How are you feeling today?  I hope you feel more relaxed now you have managed to speak with your doctor :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    edited November 2020
    Hi, I just wanted to add something here re menopause or rather "perimenopause" which is the time leading up to when period actually stop.  It can last years and many women have little or no issues really during that time.  However many women (me included) have experienced a wide range of symptoms which can included increased anxiety, weird head "rushes" and much more.  When I first started to notice some odd stuff (aged about 48) i had never even heard of perimenopause but i read an article in a magazine where a woman was describing all these odd symptoms and it clicked with me. There was also a link to a very informative (US) web page https://power-surge.co/ which had loads of women sharing their experience and it was so helpful and reassuring!  I should add that I am not disabled and not on any medication myself but come here as my son has severe CP and some MH issues and is on Sertraline. 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's really interesting, thank you for sharing @forgoodnesssake
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Michyh
    Michyh Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Hi everyone, man alive I feel so wiped out today. Had an episode last night when trying to sleep. I get so upset now days as there is no reason for this, everyone it’s when I’m in bed try to go to sleep. Anyone else have this? And it’s not like I’m worried about anything or stressed about anything? It’s really starting to make me doubt that maybe have it wrong and there is really something the matter with me. I’m seeing an endocrinologist this coming week. Maybe it’s hormonal as the doc have said I’m peri menopausal. 

But today I feel like a train hit me, I’m so tried and at the same time it feels like I have been out drinking all night. 

Being in the meds should I not be getting these episode anymore? 

Thanks everyone xx 
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear that @Michyh. I find things can be worse at night, even when I'm not consciously aware that I'm worried about something. 

It could be hormones, but the endocrinologist will be best placed to work out what's going on. 

Certain medications don't always work for everyone, and it can also take some time for them to start working. Have you been to see your GP? They might be able to adjust your dosage, or speak to you about your options.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Michyh - it's good to hear back from you. As Tori says, hopefully you'll learn more next week from your endocrinologist.
    I would also agree that unfortunately things often feel worse at night, despite the fact all you want to do is go to sleep; if you can't get your rest, you will feel tired/shattered.
    Would you try something for me? I used to teach relaxation classes when working as a physio, & have used this breathing exercise myself for so long I can't remember how long! However, I use this each night especially, as it's hard to relax when you're in pain. Please have a look at the following, as other members have also found it helpful. It reduces stress, & also helps therefore with anxiety. Please see: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    Please give it a go, perhaps practising during the day so you know how to use it at night. You don't need a pillow under your knees, just get into a comfy position, & try it.
    Please let us all know how you get on with your endocrinologist.....& the breathing exercise! My best wishes. :)
  • Michyh
    Thank u I will give it ago. Strange thing is what sets it all of are the sensations that I get which then make me over think and then the attack happens. Even if I’m having a good day or a bad day, stressed or not stressed. I will go back to my doctor and speak to them as I would have thought that I should be having less if not any. I’ll keep u updated after my appointment this week. 

The day after is always the worst for me. I’m also getting cbt therapy 
  • Tori_Scope
    Yes, it can be a really vicious cycle @Michyh. I know what you mean. Sometimes our minds and bodies can react in ways that don't seem to make 'sense', which can set off the panic response. 

I think having a chat with your GP is a good idea. Please do!

I understand that you can feel really drained the next day. The hangover analogy you used was spot on I think! Hopefully you'll see some improvements soon.

Great! How are you feeling about starting CBT? 

• Michyh
    Thank u, well it will be my 3rd session and we get to get to work on anything, the person helping me has been talking about anxiety and how we get into patterns, but yet to get on with how to fix it. I have another session on Friday next week. Xx 
    thank u all for u help 
  • Tori_Scope
    Ah right, well it's great that you've already had a few sessions @Michyh :) Is it being held over video call? 

It can take a bit of time to get onto how to change things, as they need a bit of time to learn about you. It's also important to remember that the change will come from you rather than them, if that makes sense.

I hope the next session goes well.

Of course, no problem :)

• Michyh
    Hi Tory, 
    yes it over video call for hr or more. I’m ready to try anything and everything to get rid of this or at least not be as affected by it. I’m desperate to live my normally happy life again, I have 3 young boys and I feel so bad for them when I have a episode as I can see how they worry about me. I lucky I have a wonderful husband that’s always by my side. 

Have a lovely weekend, x
  • Michyh
    Evening everyone, so after a horrible weekend as u guys know, I spoke to my doctor today, she has drop my dosage of escitalopram to10gm and also given me Buspirone 5mg to take. I have never taken them so hoping that things don’t go bad on them. 

So hoping that maybe the endocrinologist on Thursday might have something to say if I’m out of shorts in the body. 

Thank u all for ur lovely caring support. 

Xx
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Michyh - hopefully the change in meds will be better for you, & please do let us know how you get on next Thursday; we're all hoping you'll get some answers soon. :)
  • Michyh
    I will do, 
    just a bit worried about take both meds together. Google is not always a good thing 
  • Tori_Scope
    I hope that the CBT continues to help @Michyh :) Try not to Google too much and worry yourself further. As you say, looking these things up isn't always a good thing, as not all of the information online is based on truth. Of course, if you start to get any negative side effects then you should contact your doctor.

I hope that the appointment goes well on Thursday. Make sure to keep us updated. 

Brightness