I have MND. I feel I'd be better off without my pension, and am struggling to live on my benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have MND. I feel I'd be better off without my pension, and am struggling to live on my benefits

ando
ando Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Well people I would be far better off without my pension because I get £500 a month work pension my esa is less and I pay full housing rent and council tax all because I went to work I now have MND which I got at 50yrs old my neighbour gets all benefits inc high level pip and he pays next to nothing sorry for a rant but I live on my own and can’t afford care”s

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It doesn't always pay to take any pension early because it affects any other benefits you maybe entitled to, which is why i always advise people to get some expert advice before taking any pension.

I looked back at your previous posts to see if i could see any further information but there really wasn't much to go by, other than you live alone.

Have you used a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit? Help with your rent would be included with this. Your ESA and pension would be deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement but you may still be entitled to something. It depends on how much housing element you'll be entitled to. Please put your details into this here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=70077313-060d-48d8-86dd-e35382a1f6df

Have you also looked at claiming the disability benefit PIP for yourself? It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. See the descriptors here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ando
    I do get full pip I am being penilsed for working all my life I was a engineer, my neighbour pays £82 a month rent I pay £400 because I worked he also gets full pip and walks his dog five miles a day while I am confined to my wheelchair I had face to face with my pip he had a phone call assessment how can that be there inviting fraud 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2020
    Please don't compare others to yourself, this really isn't nice. No one knows what goes on inside closed doors. Very few people claim PIP fraudulantly. 

If your neighbour had a telephone assessment then that must have been since Covid began because all face to face assessments are currently suspended and telephone assessments have replaced them. Thousands of people are currently having telephone assessments for PIP and the work capability assessment.

Just because he can "walk" 5 miles it doesn't mean he's not entitled to any PIP. People claim PIP for other reasons than physical ones. My daughter claims Enhanced for both parts and yes she could walk 10 miles a day.... this is because she has no physical disabilites. We have many members here on the communiity that claim PIP for other reasons than physical.

My daughter didn't have a telephone or face to face assessment for her PIP, her's was paper based but this doesn't make her any less entitled nor does it mean she's claiming fraudulantly. It means there was enough of evidence to make a decision on paper alone.

Regarding your pension and other benefits other than PIP. There's a certain amount the law says you need to live on and unforntunately, a pension is classed as income for means tested benefits. A pension of more than £85 per week affects Contributions based ESA and New style ESA. You didn't have to take your pension early but you choose to do that and unfortunately, it's not made you any better off.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ando
    I had no choice at the time I had to take pension I lived on a narrow boat at the time I got diagnosed and had to give it up because of the illness and the mortgage I had on it which left me homeless it was bad time so pension was the only way out , I wasn’t being greedy anyway I am sorry to offend you but I know different with my neighbour I no him well 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm afraid comparing your situation with your neighbours gets no sympathy from me and no advice either, we never know what someone else's situation is and you shouldn't either.
    Sorry but it always winds me up when people do this.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Couldn't agree more @woodbine. My daughter knows me extremely well but when it comes to my health, that's a totally different story because i'm the only one that knows this and i'm very good at putting that smile on my face everytime she walks through the door.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.