Has anyone found a job working from home? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone found a job working from home?

Options
PeteO63
PeteO63 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
edited April 2021 in Work and employment
Hi, my name is Pete. I'm 57 years of age, I was diagnosed with systemic Scheroderma in 2015 and lost my job because of it in 2016, I've since been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and spine along with other health issues but really need something to occupy my time? My mobility is crutches and a wheelchair and struggle to stand for any length of time so being able to work from home would be ideal although not really sure what to look for as my work history is quality control (food). I have a laptop and quite good with Microsoft Windows and Excel do was just wondering if anyone could help with some ideas? Pete x
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @pete063 :) Thanks for reaching out for some advice. 

It seems as though many employers are moving towards allowing their employees to work from home on a more permanent basis if they want to, so hopefully your options will widen as more employers adopt this approach. 

If you live in England or Wales and are aged over 16, I'd suggest that you get in touch with our Support to Work service. They can help you to find and apply for jobs. 

Have you been to the Job Centre? They might be able to help you assess your skills and find suitable employment. You can start to read about the Job Centre and government services here on the gov.uk website.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • PeteO63
    PeteO63 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Hi and thank you for replying. I'm registered disabled and living in Hull it doesn't matter how many times you visit the job centre, vacancies for people with disabilities are virtually non existent? There are very few jobs for able people in our city. I guess my enquiry was more trying to find out if people in a similar position to me have been able to find themselves anything working from home x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that @pete063. Of course! I've moved your post into a different employment category that gets checked a bit more often, and have marked it as 'unanswered' so that our other users are more likely to see it. I've also changed the title of your post so that your question is a little clearer, again just to try and get it some more views!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Meh, disabled people get passed over all the time for employment, the government brought in the Equality Act in 2010, they may as well not have bothered IMO because they do not enforce it so companies get away with blatant discrimination!

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome I suggest you look at indeed job site 

Sort of possibilities for unskilled roles are tele sales. Customer service call handler . Admin roles , online advisors,  catalogue sales , 

I worked from home as a human resource advisor but it did involve going in for meetings and stuff but that requires a degree or experience in such field 

Brightness