Hi, my name is Helen222! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Helen222!

Helen222
Helen222 Community member Posts: 11 Listener

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Helen222 welcome to the community glad you have joined have a look around and feel free to join in 

You might like to check out our virtual coffee lounge or recent discussions sections 

Do you want to tell us a bit about yourself 

I look forward to seeing you around 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Helen222

Welcome to the community, how are you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Helen222
    I'm good today thank you, just finished my 6th session of Navigate. I'm parent to one child with complex and additional needs, so keeps life entertaining. And we have 2 cats at home. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great to hear @Helen222, are you enjoying Navigate? Is it helping?

I love cats, what are they called?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @Helen222 :) I'm glad to hear that you've been benefiting from our Navigate service. You might like to check out our parents and carers category to connect with other parents in a similar position.

Please do let us know if there's anything we can do to help. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Helen222 - & welcome to the community from me also. I do hope you are finding 'Navigate' helpful, & you will find everyone here very supportive too. :)
  • Helen222
    Thank you everyone, sorry to take so long to reply. Our first cat was abandoned by a friends neighbour, so she called her puss, now know as puss in boots. Some time ago she had 4 kittens and we kept one and called him Jamie. Strange name for a cat I know but my son James desperately wanted him to be called James and it just didn't work. She is tortoiseshell and he is a sandy ginger colour. Having pets is a pain but we love them like family. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no need to apologise @Helen222! Your cats sound lovely. Pets definitely become part of the family :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Helen222 - it's good to hear from you again. How did you find 'Navigate?' It really helps to know, & will help other parents.
    Oh, I do know what you mean about cats.....I took in a 3 month old abandoned kitten over a year ago, but it feels like many, many years! She's absolutely adorable, & loving, when she's not 'mischievous,' & I'd now be lost without her.
    How are you, James, Jamie & puss in boots getting on? :)
  • Helen222
    Yes we're all good thank you. I did 6 navigate sessions (but have the possibility to do another 6, as my son was diagnosed ASD and ADHD this year) 
    In my sessions I spoke weekly to a lovely lady called Sara, each week we had a catch up, it was very friendly and it gave me regular head space to reflect on my week, events and work out either what I was struggling with the most and what was working well. My navigate lady toke scores from me at the start and the end so I could see my wellbeing progress. And she was full of tips and useful resources which I would of struggled to remember but helpfully these were also emailed to me. Think one of the main benefits tho is it was parent to parent. 
    So glad you found a lovely kitten to love, so sad that anyone could mistreat a cat or animal, and I am hoping that they make breading cats illegal without a licence. Puss in boots was around 6 the vet said when I got her, he couldn't tell if she had an op but she had not had kittens so he thought it was likely because of her age, but a year later she had the most beautiful kittens and now both cats been done. 
    I also volunteer at a farm with many animals that offers horse boy therapy to kids on the spectrum. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Helen222 Hello, it's lovely to meet you.

it's great to hear about how helpful the Navigate service has been for you.  I get that having some head space just to focus and reflect on the week can help.  Plus, having peer to peer support from a fellow parent who understands and has been there makes all the difference.  

I'm a cat mum too and have 3 little mischievous ones from rescue centres.  Some of our members posted about their pets on this tell me about your pets thread if you want to join in :)  

Your farm volunteering sounds super interesting and rewarding, what a great idea that is.  We have a volunteering thread that you might like to have a peep at too.

I hope you and your son have a great weekend.  Talk soon!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• chiarieds
    Thank you for your kind reply @Helen222 - it's great to have your insight as a parent about your 'Navigate' sessions, & I'm so pleased they are proving helpful. I didn't know they emailed advice too, so that's useful to know.
    My kitten, Shadow, was abandoned near me with her mum & brother, who are now with another neighbour, & all are doing well.
    I'm pleased you are all good; it's so nice to know how everyone is getting on, thank you. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Brightness