Hi, my name is Sukichip1! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Sukichip1!

Sukichip1
Sukichip1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2020 in Sensory impairments
Sensory impairment
Hearing. Wearing two aids and being told I’m going to referred to fitness to work, as masks are impacting my ability to hear,I can read peoples lips, and suffering more with ffp3 masks as people’s voices more muffled. When I asked if I could be excused from assisting in RA Sedation I was faced with abruptness and aggression, I tried to advise that a particular 
clinician voice was very hard to hear as pitch
of people’s voices differs.  I felt I was trying to put the patient first, due to clinician having to constantly repete her self to me and her voice raising with frustration due to my disability. 
I left feeling bullied frustrated and stressed by clinician and line manager. 
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Hi @Sukichip1 - I'm pleased to be the first to welcome you to our friendly & supportive community. I'm very sorry to read about the difficulties you've faced; it should not be like that.
    It's not the same, but when I was concerned about my daughter's hearing when she was very young, my husband couldn't understand. It turned out she had 80% hearing loss in one ear, & some in the other (due to glue ear, i.e. secretory otitis media). She could hear my husband, but not me very well due to the different pitch in my voice.
    May I ask when you might see an Occupational Health professional?
    Scope has some info on 'Reasonable adjustments' that may prove helpful. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/reasonable-adjustments-at-work/
    Please note the links on this page that ACAS (https://www.acas.org.uk/ ), as well as EEAS (https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/ ) may also be able to advise you.
    I'm so sorry you felt bullied. It's difficult for us all due to this pandemic, but you shouldn't have been made to feel like that in your workplace.
  • Sukichip1
    Sukichip1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes I also have 80% loss  in both ears now hearing deteriorated after so many operations since being 4 yrs old. But I have managed well with 24/7 tinnitus, and bilateral aids I am hoping for a call from Ohs next week. 
    Thanks for your contact ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're most welcome @Sukichip1 - My daughter was only nearly 4 years old, but she'd learnt to lip read with me I worked out. When I talked behind her she couldn't hear a thing. She's fine now after having grommets for a while.
    Please do let us all know how you get on with your OH call next week, & we are all here to support you. Thank you for your reply. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sukichip1 and welcome to the community :) 

I'm sorry to hear that your hearing loss is having an impact on your work, hopefully the appointment next week will help towards resolving the situation. You've done very well to manage with 24/7 tinnitus.

The links provided above by @chiarieds are definitely worth a read, reasonable adjustments in particular could be something you would benefit from massively in the work place.

Just to let you know, I have moved this discussion to our visual and hearing impairment category.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Sukichip1 :) How are you getting on today? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness