Advice on benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on benefits

Options
kazbinpain
kazbinpain Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I’m not really sure how this all works yet, but I’ll keep trying.  I was really looking for advice on benefits and how far (if at all), the system has come to recognising and accepting mental and invisible illnesses.

I don’t get PIP, but have recently put a claim in.  They refused it for me the last time it got reviewed 2018/19.    It went right through an appeal and court tribunal.  Still failed.   (Removed by moderator).   I’ve had so many emotional breakdowns and stress related issues within the month of trying to fill in my PIP form.  I’m so lucky to have a partner who pretty much helped me through all of it.

went through the appeal and then tribunal in 2018/19.   Still came out with nothing.  I’ve barely left my house for the last year and then prior to that, I was almost bed bound by some kind of illness that zapped me of everything.   Considering I’m the greatest insomniac, all I did through those times was sleep

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. If you are using the same evidence you used previously then you could end up going to Tribunal again.

When filling out the form you should put as much relevant information about how your conditions affect you as possible and then add a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Face to face assessments are still suspended and telephone assessments have replaced them, which most people are having. Paper based assessments are still very rare,

Once an appointment becomes available they will contact you.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, that sounds so much like me! I’m also suffering from mental illness and have massive problems with sleep (there are days when I go to bed at 12 midnight and am in bed desperately wanting to fall asleep until 1:30 in the afternoon the next day! The agony!)
    housebound and so much dependent on husband and mother for chores/shopping etc. I also applied for PIP in 2019 but was refused after the face2face. I was so dejected that I didn’t appeal. I’ve now reapplied in June 2020 and will try my best not to give up. 
    I can totally understand how you must feel. It’s terrible having to feel like that so much of the time and then someone telling you that you’ve got no problems at all! 
    I’ll update about my PIP process, currently waiting for the telephone/f2f appointment 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,284 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there I my self get pip for mental illness . Don’t give up appeal . I put care plans in application and my partner also wrote a few pages on how my disability affects me . 

I wish you best of luck let us know how you both get On .

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Options
    So you have been waiting since June to have an interview for PIP?  Thats nearly 6 months
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    BrettW said:
    So you have been waiting since June to have an interview for PIP?  Thats nearly 6 months

That's not unusual, waiting times depend on backlog in your area and all areas are different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.