Community Advent Calendar Day 6 - Virtual Christmas party and team Q&A — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community Advent Calendar Day 6 - Virtual Christmas party and team Q&A

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge

On the 6th day of Scope's online advent calendar, the community team bring to youuuuuu,
A virtual Christmas party for (hopefully) more than twooo...

That's right, Cinderella will go to the ball after all.  It's time to dust down that sequin dress, get out your Glayva and prepare to bust yo finest dance moves because the partay starts here. 

<Puts George Michael Last Christmas on>

Two women in festive red clothes stood smiling holding wine glasses next to a Christmas tree

All day long the team will be about to play games, get merry and change the music when Mariah Carey is inevitably on for the 100th time.

Are you up for some festive fun?  To get involved, why not:

• Drop your virtual buffet food on the table to the left.  
  • Leave a secret santa present under the tree and tell us what virtual present you've bought another member.
  • Turn the music over to your fave festive choon.
Also, in a one-time only Christmas special the team are happy to do a Q+A!  So if there any questions you'd like to ask us (keep them clean!), now's the time!  Do you want to know who we think the funniest team member is?  Ask away :D 

Where's my early party people at?  And, who's bringing the mince pies?
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Always first to the party I am!

For food, I've brought some sausage rolls, which are nice and simple, along with some little sweets to dot around the room in dishes, so that there is nice treats everywhere. Enjoy everyone!

You see that perfectly wrapped present under the tree? That's my gift to @Cher_Scope, which is a limited edition box of 1000 Yorkshire tea bags, because you can never get enough Yorkshire tea. 

I've also started playing 12 Days of Christmas, to get everyone's voices warmed up and because who doesn't love shouting "5 GOLD RINGS" every time it comes around.

Yes, we'd be delighted to answer any questions you might have for us, I think it would help some of you get to know us better, considering three of the team have only been around for a few short months.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Aww cheers @Ross_Scope You know me well!  In return I have bought you a cheese board, with a smorgasbord of fromagerie for your dinner break munching delight.

I've brought the cocktail sausages and dips.  Please leave me plenty of the garlic and onion dip because that's my fave.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Just joined the party bringing with me individual trifles and putting a gift under the tree for everyone a small selection box 

Change to music DJ to one more sleep leona lewis so I can do some cool wheelchair moves 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I will turn up in my Ford Mustang and in the boot is some antipasti as I really like that and it makes good party food. Also there is a present for everyone and a magic bottle of liquid that turns into whatever you want to drink from tea to vodka. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    I've just put the snow machine on, woop woop.  Help yourself to some after eights.  

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I've arrived fashionably late, and I've brought the ultimate food item: crisps. Every flavour under the sun. 

It's also getting later into the evening, so I've brought along endless supplies of everyone's favourite tipple (or soft drink of course!).

Remember that you're welcome to ask us questions so you can get to know us a bit better :) 
    Do you want to know who we think the funniest team member is?
    Well now I want to know :D I think everyone on the team is hilarious:

Adrian always brings the dry humour and quick wit.
    Cher comes out with some classic, often surprising, lines and cultural references.
    Ross is perhaps the sanest of us all, which I find endlessly funny, but is always on hand with a pun or gentle roast. The grumpy northerner shines through.
    Richard can be totally brutal (in a funny way!) and really has a way with words.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I would like to ask how you've all found it as Online Community Coordinators? Is the role easier/harder than you'd thought it might be, & why? 
    Have your views changed as to what the community is about?
    Do you think it helps having 3 of you here? Have you met each other, or just 'meet' online?
    What do you now think you bring to the forum (this might have changed from when you first started)?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Great questions I don't have lots of time to put thought into before I answer @chiarieds :D I'm sure Cher and Ross will be able to come up with some better answers, but:

1. I'm genuinely loving it. I went into it a little blind, as I haven't managed an online community as a job before. That being said I knew it'd be difficult at times, as I've been a member of quite a few online communities over the years (and still am a member of many!) and know what a tough job some moderators and facilitators have. I wouldn't say it's easier or harder than I'd imagined, but that it is as diverse and challenging as I'd hoped. There are probably aspects of the job I hadn't predicted I'd be able to get involved in, but it's all been great so far and I'm really grateful for all the opportunities I've had to learn and try new things. I also find it really rewarding, and love interacting with you all.

2. Yes, probably. I think one of the strengths of the community is the diversity of things it offers people. I'd obviously had a snoop around the community before I applied, and before my interview, but working here has really opened my eyes to the breadth of information, advice, support, and friendly fun you're all able to offer to each other. As I said, I've been a member of quite a few online communities, and I have to say that this is one of the most non-judgemental ones I've seen. It's also really nice to see older friendships blossom, and new ones forge. It's a real privilege to be a small part of that!

3. Yes! It really helps to have such wonderful colleagues to bounce ideas off of, get advice and support from, and work collaboratively with. Chloe, Adrian, and Richard continue to be fountains of knowledge, and a great support network for the three of us. We haven't met in person, but we hope to once it's safe to! I'm excited for the in-person banter, Colin the Caterpillars, and I'm sure a few drinks (of Yorkshire tea...).

4. That's a hard one! I suppose other people are best placed to answer that. I've enjoyed (hopefully) letting my personality show a bit more as time has passed, and I also think my knowledge-base has grown. This is something I'm working on, and I also look forward to sharing more about my personal experiences as times goes on.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    Thank you @Tori_Scope - I'm so pleased you're loving the experience, & hope you'll be around for a long time. I stayed here because of the welcome I got from Chloe, & another member, & because this community felt 'different.'
    Scope's new members often surprise me in what they ask. I didn't use to reply on the 'light-hearted' threads, but realise it helps counters some of the more difficult ones (& the sheer frustration with the occasional member, or abuse), &, perhaps more importantly, helps us 'connect' with other regular users of the forum.
    I do hope you get to meet the other members of the Scope team.
    Do let your personality, & personal experience show.....you'll know when this is appropriate, however.
  • Ross_Alumni
    @Tori_Scope grumpy northerner? I will be having words next time you're in :D 

Obviously because we are all Christmas party animals, the celebrations are still ongoing and I've brought with me some Christmas crackers. I offer them out to anybody who fancies pulling one. There's no Cornonavirus in this universe so sharing a cracker is completely fine. 

I take the magic bottle from @66Mustang and wow, it magically turns into a nice cold bottle of coke, lovely. Time to hit the dance floor as All I Want for Christmas is You comes on for the 10th time, as @Cher_Scope predicted.

Great questions @chiarieds, I'll try to do justice to them:

1. It's been honestly amazing so far, at the start of this year I could never have imagined I would end the year working in a job I thoroughly enjoy, with a team of wonderful people. The job can be fast paced at times, especially when doing some of the off-community things that people don't see, but it's all worth it, I've learnt many things so far and had so many marvellous experiences.

2. My views have changed somewhat. I always knew this was a supportive and friendly community because that's exactly what it was for me when I came here looking for advice using my personal account, quite a while before taking this job. I think being on the community so much has helped me get to know some of you all and realise how fabulous you all are in your own unique ways, whereas previously I was only a sporadic member so perhaps didn't get chance to build up those relationships.

3. It certainly helped me to have the others starting alongside me, in the moments where I was perhaps struggling to get used to certain things it was always nice to realise that I wasn't alone in going through it, and both Tori and Cher have been amazing in their support and help for one another and myself. And as Tori mentioned above, Richard, Adrian and Chloe couldn't have been better guides in the first few months, they've integrated us so well that it almost feels like we've been here much longer than 4 months. 
    We haven't met in person yet no, but I'm very much looking forward to whenever that might be. 

4. Like Tori, I think I'm now able to show my personality a bit more and utilise my personal experience of having sight loss, which has particularly helped me when writing content. I feel as though I'm learning a lot about other impairments and challenges that disabled people can face in today's society, and learning these things is only benefiting my ability to respond better in certain situations both on and off the community.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd like to ask the same question i asked @Adrian_Scope not long after he first started....

Marvel or DC?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ross_Alumni
    Great question @Ami2301, I do wonder how @Adrian_Scope answered that?

For me, it's DC, simply because I love Batman, and the Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and TDK Rises is one of my favourite trilogies of all time. 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I bring a very large and surprisingly heavy Christmas cake covered in icing sugar to the party, plus twiglets! 

Where is everyone? ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Ross_Scope said:
    Great question @Ami2301, I do wonder how @Adrian_Scope answered that?

For me, it's DC, simply because I love Batman, and the Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and TDK Rises is one of my favourite trilogies of all time. 
    I imagine I gave a similar answer. I like anything Batman-related, so I'll tend to prefer DC even if their movies (Wonder Woman and Joker aside) have been a bit shoddy in recent years.
    leeCal said:
    I bring a very large and surprisingly heavy Christmas cake covered in icing sugar to the party, plus twiglets! 

Where is everyone? ?
    Twiglets!? You can stay as long as you like!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chiarieds
    I've brought some mince pies.....careful they're hot, & a chocolate & chestnut puree (with a little rum) dessert for those that don't like dried fruit. Thank you for the presents, & food everyone. I've also brought some party balloons. Who can blow them up & make a dachshund? :)
    I'm both Marvel & DC. My parent's used to get me The Children's Newspaper, which I barely read. What a relief when I was 9 years old, & on holiday, that I was allowed to buy comics. I loved Spiderman! Then I saw Batman on the TV, & much later the films.
  • chiarieds
    Thank you @Ross_Scope (now you know why I nicknamed Tori, 'Terrible Tori!')
    I'm also pleased you're enjoying your job, & hopefully for a long time too.
    I think we've all benefitted from having the 3 of you here, & the extended times on the community. Interesting that your views have changed a little too.
    You all have fitted in so well, & indeed so quickly, & it's good you are all so supportive of each other.
    Your personal experience of sight loss helps me understand more about some accessibility issues, thank you. I feel as if I'm continually learning about others disabilities & challenges; conditions I've never heard of (& I know quite a few!)
  • Ross_Alumni
    I could get on board with the terrible Tori nickname @chiarieds, though hopefully I don't end up with a similar one :D 

Thank you for your kind words, I only hope that as we stay here longer and grow further into the role, we will be able to contribute towards making the community an even better place for all.

Can't say I'm a fan of mince pies though, if this is us enjoying some casual chat at the party, I won't be accepting one when you offer :D 

Not a big fan of Christmas cake either @leeCal, but I'll take the icing off and just have that :) 

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm surrounded by traitors!  :D Me and hubby are mainly Marvel fans, I only really like Harley Quinn and Joker. I don't like DC as much as I find the films too dark and gritty, not really a fan of that. I've tried to watch The Dark Knight rises 3 times now, and each time I have fallen asleep.

What are all your thoughts on Robert Pattinson being the new Batman? I've only seen him Harry Potter, could never get into Twilight.

What superpower do you think you bring to the community  B)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • chiarieds
    Nah @Ross_Scope - you can be 'Reet good Ross.' I'll not have a word said against another Yorkshire lass (might just mutter a little about the football competition tho....'Catch up folks,' indeed).
    I did mention I'd also brought a chocolate dessert for those that didn't like dried fruit.....you're every whim catered for. Has Adrian snuck off with leeCal's twiglets?
    The only way to eat Christmas cake is with cheese; the more cheese the better (I'm not fussed on Christmas cake either).
    Seriously, it's good getting to know all 3 of you, so here's to 2021! :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    @Ami2301
    Was Bane's voice not enough to keep you awake? It's terrifying :D 

Much like you, I've only seen Robert P in Harry Potter, never watched Twilight. I'll be interested to see how he does, but I have to admit that I doubt Christian Bale's Batman will ever be topped.

What super power do I bring to the community? Hard to say, probably by Yorkshireness, I consider that a super power :) 

@chiarieds
    I'll take Reet good Ross, it roles off the tongue nicely, thank you :) 

That's true, I do like chocolate cake, sorry to everyone else at the party but I've eaten it all :D Yep, as soon as @Adrian_Scope saw twiglets, his heart was set on them, there's no chance that @leeCal will see them again.

Here's to 2021 indeed -raises glass for a toast- hopefully it brings better things for us all!

Brightness