Community Advent Calendar Day 7 - Your favourite childhood Christmas memories? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community Advent Calendar Day 7 - Your favourite childhood Christmas memories?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
Just one week to go until the big day, I remember when I was a young child I would be nervous with excitement at this point, wishing the days away so that Christmas morning would finally arrive. 

Tell us your cherished childhood Christmas memories

There are so many to choose from, I always think back to waking up at the crack of dawn on Christmas Day, feeling around in the dark to see if Santa had filled up the stocking that was left hooked over the post of my bed.
That moment, when I felt the soft Christmas stocking and found it was no longer just an empty bag, sticks with me all these years later as one of those Christmas moments I'll never forget. 

We had a tradition of sorts in our household that my dad would lead the way downstairs ahead of myself, my brother and my sister, with my mum following behind. He would open the door to the living room, turn round to us and declare in an excited voice "HE'S BEEN!"
At which point, three ecstatic children would charge down the stairs while our poor dad tried to scramble out of the way, we would burst into the living room and gaze in utter delight at the presents that awaited our arrival.
On Christmas Eve, before bed, we used to send a wish to Santa for him to leave our presents in a certain place in the living room and without fail he granted this wish every year, what a guy! We would await our parents permission to commence opening our presents and from that moment onwards we never looked back. 

Good times!

What about you? 

• What are your favourite childhood Christmas memories?
  • Did you and your family have any Christmas traditions?
  • What was your favourite present?
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not a favourite, but one I have a vivid memory about. I'd gone to bed on Christmas Eve, but woke up feeling ill. I saw my Mum quietly creeping in with a pillowcase....yes I got a pillowcase full of presents, rather than a stocking. I couldn't believe what I'd seen. I waited a few moments after she'd gone out, then dashed to go to the bathroom, where I was sick. My Mum came to reassure me, & settle me down, but I came to realise who 'my' Santa was. My Uncle, who was a keen amateur photographer, must have visited that Christmas Day, as I have more photographs of me looking paler than usual, & in my dressing gown, cuddling soft toys, than on any other Christmas Day as a child.
    My favourite present was Jumbo my elephant (& of course he wasn't stuffed); before I ever got to like penguins, it was always elephants. I'd so hoped for one, but not a one in my presents. My Dad said to open the lounge curtains, & there he was....perhaps he was too difficult to wrap?
    When I was older, I remember my Dad used to always have a box of chocolates for my Mum & I on the kitchen table each Christmas morning. My Mum did everything, but that was always his own much appreciated personal contribution. :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Aww that sounds magical @Ross_Scope!

2 memories come to mind. My favourite is from Christmas Eve 2005. I was told that my mum's colleague was bringing us a 'chocolate cake'. I was 10 at the time and I hated all types of cake, so I was anxious about this cake arriving.

Anyway, i remember it being before lunchtime and the lady arrived. In her arms, was a black puppy. It was love at first sight for me as the puppy was the cutest I had ever seen. The lady placed the puppy on my lap and it was so soft. I was told she was a girl, 10 weeks old but had no name yet.

The lady didn't stay long but I was rather confused when she left without the puppy! Even though I was relieved she didn't bring a chocolate cake, I still asked "Where's the chocolate cake?" Mum pointed to the puppy and replied, "That's the chocolate cake"

The penny dropped and I was so excited, I had tears in my eyes. We named her Millie, she was a Labrador cross Doberman and stayed with us until she was 12 and sadly crossed the rainbow bridge ❤

Another memory, quite funny actually and a lesson well taught!

I had a stocking at the end of my bed and I was always eager to check the stocking after midnight. So I climbed out of bed, and rooted around in the stocking to grab the nearest present. I pulled it out and it was really heavy for a small present. Curiosity got the better of me and I started to unwrap it, very quietly of course.

I was sad as I realised it was an adaptor. At god knows what time past midnight it was, I didn't really give much thought that the adaptor could be for something bigger. When I opened it (re-opened in my case) on Christmas day, I had to act all surprised.

After a few more presents were unwrapped, the 0resent that the adaptor was for was revealed. But I can't remember what it was for.

Lesson of the story - don't open the presents in your stocking in the middle of the night  :D 

@chiarieds I would have much preferred a pillowcase... more space for extra presents to fit in!  :p
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ross_Alumni
    Oh dear @chiarieds, that must have been a rough Christmas :(  Jumbo the elephant sounds lovely :) 

What a lovely story about the puppy @Ami2301, I can see why that memory has stuck with you. A box of chocolates in addition to the puppy would have been nice :) 

Yes that's a very good point, opening the stocking in the dark and having a feel around too early is never a good idea 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    My earliest Christmas memories are going round the big ASDA at Chapeltown looking for Star Wars figures and vehicles way back in the early 80's.

Not been for years though, I'd go again for nostalgic reasons.

• Ross_Alumni
    Sounds good @MrAllen1976, you definitely should visit there again one Christmas :) 

Brightness