Community Advent Calendar Day 8 - Your favourite Christmas films and TV shows — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community Advent Calendar Day 8 - Your favourite Christmas films and TV shows

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
The community is counting down to Christmas with a festive themed Christmas advent calendar, and we are discussing a new Christmasy themed topic each day. 
You can find the discussions in this series in the coffee lounge.

What are your favourite Christmas films and TV shows?

Today is a straight forward but super fun one. Everyone has their own personal choices when it comes to Christmas movies and TV shows, and there are such a variety to pick from.
Many of us might still prefer the things we saw as children, whereas some of us may have fallen in love with a certain film or show in later life, I'm looking forward to hearing your preferences.

a snow covered mountain
Let the film and TV show loving commence!

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Favourite films are 

Miracle on 34th street
    Polar express 

TV shows strictly xmas special 
    Great british bake off xmas special 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I always looked forward to the Doctor Who Christmas special
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    'it's a Wonderful Life'
    'Love Actually'
    'The Snowman'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    This year's Doctor Who special might be good, called "Revelation of the Daleks" apparently, although during the Colin Baker era of classic Who, there was a 2 part story with the same title.

I love Raymond Briggs' The Snowman though, they showed it on Channel 4 last Saturday, as well as the sequel The Snow Man and the Snow Dog, it's good that one but not a patch on the original.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I watched some old Christmas episodes of The Royle Family the other day whilst wrapping presents and was in my element.  Caroline Aherne's take on Northern families was so spot on.  It's such a shame she is no longer with us :(

Did anyone watch the new Vicar of Dibley Christmas special?  If so, is it worth a watch?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I'll be watching the Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas and New Year specials, I know MBB isn't everyone's cup of tea due to the strong language but I think it's hilarious!

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Did anyone watch the new Vicar of Dibley Christmas special?  If so, is it worth a watch?  
    Is there one!?  :o  I wasn't overly keen on the 'Zoom' style VoD 15 minute programmes they've been doing recently.  The actual episodes were much better imo!  They'll be showing the old Xmas special with all the xmas dinners at some point I reckon.

In another thread I mentioned there was a new Gavin and Stacey xmas special this year...but it seems there isn't, they're just repeating last years. :(

I like The Good Life Xmas special from 1977.  It was on last night at dinnertime.  :)

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I think they just ran a compilation on the 23rd of the shorts that were made @OverlyAnxious. I haven't watched them though. The Christmas dinners episode is a classic :D 

I wish there had been another Gavin and Stacey special :( They surely have to make another at some point!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I think they just ran a compilation on the 23rd of the shorts that were made @OverlyAnxious. I haven't watched them though. The Christmas dinners episode is a classic :D 

I wish there had been another Gavin and Stacey special :( They surely have to make another at some point!
    The Christmas Dinners episode was on last night funnily enough.  :)

It looks as though they want to leave the 'cliff hanger' at the end of the last Gavin & Stacey permanently...not good for those of us that need certainty and closure!  :D
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I might have to watch it again @OverlyAnxious. Who doesn't love to see Dawn French forcing roast potatoes into her mouth.

Oh no, what a nightmare! I don't like cliff hangers like that :anguished:
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    National lampoons Christmas vacation is one of my favourites, secondly perhaps Scrooged. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness